Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
Macca
Greg

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Post by Macca »

Wondering how many of you would listen to this track if it was anyone other than Myles. It's a very underwhelming song. I hoped for more from Myles. Hope the rest of the album is better
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

agny wrote:Reminds me a little of Chris Cornell's Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart
I thought the same thing.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's not a perfect song, it's also not the best song he's ever written, but it works really well. I think it has this really cool folky, late Zeppelin vibe. I hope to hear some more dramatic stuff on the rest of this album, and I do think he sounds a bit too nasal on a few spots, but on the other hand I think that adds to the spontaneous vibe of the song.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

The more I listen, the more I'm feeling an almost country vibe. And the more I'm digging it. Really looking forward to how the rest of the album comes together - and not looking forward to waiting 3 months for the album. Kinda wish it would have been about half that time, so Tiger doesn't get too overly stale before the album comes.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I dig it. I also think it has a Zep vibe. Gallows Pole-y or something
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

luke62
White Knuckled

Post by luke62 »

The more I listen to it, the more it grows on me. Can’t wait for the rest of the album

Sugar Blade
Bought The CDs

Post by Sugar Blade »

Song starts like something from Alter Bridge, but with the acoustic guitar (Myles likes that anxious strumming of the same high notes during verse since Ties That Bind, I think), I think that it's drums that make this song feel different. Can't say that I like it, but it's better than I expected.

Nicklord
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Nicklord »

Just listened to the song properly for the first time after living like a caveman with the shittiest internet on a mountain for 5 days :lol:

And I love it. Everything I expected from Myles. Also surprised it has over 100k in 3 days on youtube

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I'm looking forward to the rest of the album solely because I like the direction and potential of this album based on the first song. However despite that, I don't like Year of the Tiger very much at all... just the mood and feel of it. Hopefully the others maintain that same moody sense, but do it better.

prslover
TABN.com Citizen

Post by prslover »

It's a decent little tune despite the stink of Elvis Baskette on the production.
I do hope the other album tracks arent really like this song though.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I suppose my ideal Myles album would basically sound like an acoustic Cradle to the Grave with dreamy MF4 elements, but I can understand why he'd want to push in another direction. I've always wanted to hear Myles do some bluesy stuff as well so this'll do me just fine (but I hope he releases the other one one day too).
For all of the hope that it brings...

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

prslover wrote:It's a decent little tune despite the stink of Elvis Baskette on the production.
What stink? I think this sounds very different than his AB production.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

WaywardOne wrote:
prslover wrote:It's a decent little tune despite the stink of Elvis Baskette on the production.
What stink? I think this sounds very different than his AB production.
Instrumentally and stylistically, it's very different, but it definitely still has an Elvis quality to the mix to my ears. I think the biggest problem with Elvis is that I never hear as much separation between the instruments as I want to. It always ends up sounding like a mash of sounds, and it's always a little grating on the ears.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

It took a while but the song is growing on me.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

prslover
TABN.com Citizen

Post by prslover »

On Elvis.... Imagine a bubble , and inside that bubble is all the sound of the song. Nothing breaks out of the bubble with the Elvis sound it's just all in there running into each other and eventually becomes pulverised dust that all looks and sounds the same.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

prslover wrote:On Elvis.... Imagine a bubble , and inside that bubble is all the sound of the song. Nothing breaks out of the bubble with the Elvis sound it's just all in there running into each other and eventually becomes pulverised dust that all looks and sounds the same.
This description is perfect.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Tigra wrote:I wonder what his mother thinks of this:
hamptonfive wrote:The only love I’ve known has slipped away
The only love I’ve known has gone away
I think the song could actually be seen as being from his mother's perspective. Myles has said in interviews how hard she worked to take care of his family at the time of his father's passing. This song seems to cover the idea of pushing through a difficult time for the sake of the ones you love, and so this line may not be a slight against his mother at all. It may just be from his mother's perspective in the sense of the only romantic love she's ever known, not the non-romantic, unconditional, familial love between the children and their mother.

hackingislife
TABN.com Citizen

Post by hackingislife »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
I think the song could actually be seen as being from his mother's perspective. Myles has said in interviews how hard she worked to take care of his family at the time of his father's passing. This song seems to cover the idea of pushing through a difficult time for the sake of the ones you love, and so this line may not be a slight against his mother at all. It may just be from his mother's perspective in the sense of the only romantic love she's ever known, not the non-romantic, unconditional, familial love between the children and their mother.

"The Record Title:
I remember stumbling onto the melody and title of the song years ago. It stuck with me but I couldn’t seem to complete the concept until it dawned on me that 1974 was the Year Of The Tiger according to the Chinese Zodiac. Once I realized that was the same year we lost my father, I knew where I needed to take the record lyrically. The song is really the preface for the entire story from my mother’s perspective. It’s a battle cry of resolution, to persevere under the circumstances we were enduring after dad passed away."

https://artistwaves.com/myles-kennedy-t ... f3b3334af7

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Having the song come from the perspective of his mom actually makes a lot more sense lyrically.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

hackingislife wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:

"The Record Title:
I remember stumbling onto the melody and title of the song years ago. It stuck with me but I couldn’t seem to complete the concept until it dawned on me that 1974 was the Year Of The Tiger according to the Chinese Zodiac. Once I realized that was the same year we lost my father, I knew where I needed to take the record lyrically. The song is really the preface for the entire story from my mother’s perspective. It’s a battle cry of resolution, to persevere under the circumstances we were enduring after dad passed away."

https://artistwaves.com/myles-kennedy-t ... f3b3334af7