Sweet Child of Mine Tone?

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
ThravRande
Burn It Down

Sweet Child of Mine Tone?

Post by ThravRande »

Does anyone know how to get the tone Slash uses on SCOM?
Myles Kennedy wrote:I think you're as sharp as.... whatever's sharp.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: Sweet Child of Mine Tone?

Post by abw1987 »

Slash used a one-of-a-kind (or, if I remember correctly, actually two-of-a-kind) amp for the recording of Appetite For Destruction, which is no longer in his possession. it was a modified Marshall that to my knowledge no one has successfully replicated in the 25 years since the album's release.

Last year Marshall released the AFD100 amp, which was designed specifically to get as close as possible to the tones on Appetite. As I recall, Slash provided Marshall with the original standalone guitar tracks that he recorded for the album, just so the guys at Marshall could achieve the best possible representation of that classic Slash tone.

There's a really interesting video (embedded below - luckily I was able to find it) describing how Marshall went about modeling the AFD tone.

Judging from the video, it seems they got the "Nightrain" dead on. I heard that they put a lot of their focus on the original master guitar tracks from "Nightrain", perhaps more than any of the other songs on Appetite. Sadly though, it seems to me that the tone of "Sweet Child o' Mine" played on the AFD100 is not NEARLY as close to the album version. Regardless, Slash now uses the AFD100 live on tour.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/9smsqmkWK0k[/youtube]

ThravRande
Burn It Down

Post by ThravRande »

That's pretty cool. A shame that the original sound is lost, though :(

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

ThravRande wrote:That's pretty cool. A shame that the original sound is lost, though :(
Totally. I wish today's Slash had a time machine and could go back to 1987 to warn young Slash not to get rid of the old amp.

I think it may not have even been his amp. Just one rented (or even stolen :lol) from a music equipment shop in Hollywood.

ThravRande
Burn It Down

Post by ThravRande »

Sad thrav. I'm using a shitload of reverb and the tiniest amount of distortion when I play it. My roommate put some kind of chorus or something on it that makes it ring a little more. It still doesn't sound right, but closer than I could get.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I always though it was a reasonable amount of distortion with the guitar on the neck pickup and then wind the tone knob for that pick up all the way down. Bit of delay. boom.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

For some reason I also seem to remember him cranking the tone knob all the way down on that song.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

ThravRande
Burn It Down

Post by ThravRande »

I wish I was Slash.