I just bought World On Fire

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
nagpo
On The Rail

I just bought World On Fire

Post by nagpo »

Should arrive on thursday, I can't wait for it. Myles has never put out a bad record. I'm HYPED. What did you guys think of the record? I'll post my thoughts once I've heard it later this week.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: I just bought World On Fire

Post by anguyen92 »

I thought it was a pretty good album. Top 5 album of the year for sure for me (I pegged Big Wreck's Ghosts and Sevendust's Time-Travelers and Bonfires albums better though and maybe Foo Fighters when they get it out).

I thought that it was a sign of these guys working the very best of their capabilities and what they are capable of. I will say that it may be a hard album to digest, at first, just for the sheer # of songs on it and how long it is. However, it is a pretty good diverse album that ranges from your high-energy stuff, the ballads, the anthemic stuff, and the deep and dark stuff.

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

Great album. I could've done without two or three of the songs (They could've probably saved those for bonus tracks and B-sides), but the other 14 or 15 were amazing. Myles sounds better than ever, Slash is good ol' Slash, and the rest of the band sound solid.

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

The more I listen to it, the more I like it. It's definitely a grower. It is a tad long but I've found that there's very little filler.

Myles kills it on this album with the vocal melodies, he seems to be in a purple patch of songwriting form. Hopefully he can keep it up for the next Alter Bridge album.

I was actually really impressed with Slash. I always considered him a good/great guitarist but I was never really a fan of his work outside of Appetite For Destruction. But this album has definitely got me reaching for my guitar.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

So I just finished my first listen for the entire record. I think it's really great. Some great vocals and great riffs and solos. You really couldn't ask for anything more from a record. I can't wait to listen to it again and again to get into the real meat of the songs. Thumbs up for sure. Myles did not disappoint.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I love this record. It did take a little while to grow on me, but not as long as Apocalyptic Love. It's almost like they've moved slightly in the direction of Alter Bridge, by including more "soaring anthem"-type choruses. Of course, you've still got Slash's typical rock riffs littering each and every song. Also, I love the prominence of the bass track throughout the record.

I agree that it's a few songs too long to digest in a single sitting (though I have done it), but I'm not going to complain about having extra songs up front rather than having to pay for a re-release a year later just to get the bonus tracks.

My only other critique would be that some of the riffs sound similar to those on Apocalyptic Love. For example, "Wicked Stone" and "Crazy Life".

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Nah, you can't compare Wicked Stone and Crazy Life. The only thing these songs have in common is that the guitars beginn in a large register. The rest is completely different. I would compare Wicked Stone rather with songs like "Standing in The Sun" or "Locomotive" by GnR. All these songs have a rather simple main riff which creates a pretty cool Rock N' Roll flow.

The only songs I dislike on the new album are Automatic Overdrive and Avalon.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Oh I agree that "Crazy Life" and "Wicked Stone" are totally different songs. I was just saying that the intro riffs of both songs (which are repeated later in both songs) sound very similar.

I'm glad you mentioned the similarity between the verse riff of "Wicked Stone" and "Locomotive" -- that actually occurred to me as well.

The weak points to me are "Beneath the Savage Sun" (dumb verse), "Battleground" (cliched lyrics), and "Dirty Girl" (awkward lyrics).

That's really it. Overall, it's SUCH a strong album.