Myles on Guitar with Alter Bridge

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
JSlade

Myles on Guitar with Alter Bridge

Post by JSlade »

Most of you here know how well versed Myles is with a guitar, and while he does show his technical prowess at times, most of the time he lets Mark take the reins. However, a lot of people (including MT) feel that Myles is the superior guitarist, though he'd never admit it. Personally, I'd love to see Myles write a large majority of guitar related material for the next AB album. Myles is in two bands with great guitarists that he takes a backseat to, and I wish that would change. Anyone else have any thoughts to share on the subject? Do you think that the current balance of guitar from M&M is good, or would you rather Myles play more lead guitar?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: Myles on Guitar with Alter Bridge

Post by anguyen92 »

I would like Myles to finish working that solo album so that you know that it's definitely 100% Myles lead guitar.

I mean the circumstances are this: AB is not really AB without Mark's lead guitar playing though we still want Myles to show off some guitar skills. I think Fortress provides a good amount of playing between both of them where we get both Mark showing off why he is Mark Tremonti and we see Myles have those great moments where he gets the limelight on the lead end. I feel that the current balance is good.

I think what would have really benefited Fortress more and the band, in general, would be to have an instrumental where we can see more of that Mark and Myles trading guitar solos and showcase Flip and Brian as well by giving them some small drum and bass solo nodding here and there, imo of course.

JSlade

Post by JSlade »

It'd be like Ahavo Rabo but with full band participation. I now have a new dream.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

anguyen92 wrote:I would like Myles to finish working that solo album so that you know that it's definitely 100% Myles lead guitar.

I think what would have really benefited Fortress more and the band, in general, would be to have an instrumental where we can see more of that Mark and Myles trading guitar solos and showcase Flip and Brian as well by giving them some small drum and bass solo nodding here and there, imo of course.
I'm sure we'll see Myles' solo record in 2020 before seeing an Instrumental track on an AB record.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Don't forget that Myles started off in AB as just a hired singer. For the first AB record Mark had already written everything, he then hired myles after being reminded of MF4 from a friend. Myles didn't even play the guitar on the first few tours.

He's come a long way in the band considering.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Mark Tremonti is the lead guitarist and Myles plays rhythm and every now and then they switch. Thats Alter Bridge and I wouldn't want it any other way. Mark is one the greatest guitar players of all time and Myles is very talented too but it just doesn't compare. I like it how it is

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I like how the setup was on Fortress a lot. Mark is the primary lead player for the band. I like when Myles plays leads too, and he's played a couple of my favorite AB solos. But I'm pretty content with the current way they do things.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

AllC392Was wrote:Thats Alter Bridge and I wouldn't want it any other way.
Whatever they feel like doing is Alter Bridge.

I wouldn't mind more solos from Myles.. My favourite solos from Fortress were pretty much all from Myles (Addicted to Pain and Bleed it Dry aside, though I think Myles would've taken the BID solo to the next level).
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Myles playing more leads? Bring it on! Mark does some incredible lead work but Myles isn't worse in this particular matter.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

Id love to hear more of Myles too. I think Fortress has the right balance as an album. Maybe one or two more from him. Dont want him to step on Marks toes. I mean yeah its a different style and they could get away with it for a bit but itd sound like a wank fest eventually. And that opinion comes from a guitar player.

rockit2112
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rockit2112 »

Going off Fortress, if they continue the trend of giving Mark a song or two on lead vocals, then I'd think Myles will continue to get an increasing share of lead work. I like slower, more emotional solos where you can sing the notes, and Myles does a much better job at that IMO, so I like Myles better as a guitarist.

I also like Myles' tone better, especially on leads. He cuts through just as well without sounding exceedingly bright as Mark sometimes does. But Mark obviously still plays a huge role in the band, and I wouldn't want it any other way.