Myles collaborated with Chris Cornell??!

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
nassar
Brand New Start

Myles collaborated with Chris Cornell??!

Post by nassar »

According to this interview http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/360113 ,
Throughout his career, Kennedy has collaborated with some acclaimed rock superstars such as Slash and Chris Cornell. "Chris is great and a long time ago in the late 90s, we did a song together. I believe it was 'My Funny Valentine.' It was a lot of fun," he said.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/3 ... z2hhZ2GkYv
Did anyone know about this, and how can we find this gem?

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: Myles collaborated with Chris Cornell??!

Post by Inconquerable »

I looked for it yesterday for a bit but nothing came up. I did find some other information on it (very little) and I feel like it was just a live cover of the song or something as a tribute to Chris' wife. She had some sort of managerial role in the Mayfield Four at some point from what I read and Chris sang that song with the band. That's what I remember anyways, I could be way off and could have completely misinterpreted it all. =P

nassar
Brand New Start

Post by nassar »

Then that'll probably be impossible to find. :s

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

??!! I always thought they must have crossed paths at some point but hadn't seen one mention the other. (By the way, Susan Silver was Chris' first wife and she managed Soundgarden and Alice In Chains. Chris has remarried.)

Google gave me a YouTube comment with a quote about this, and when I googled that I got

http://www.themayfieldfour.net/northshores-article.html
" The Mayfield Four was formed three years ago in Spokane. The group is named after the elementary school where its members met. They didn't start playing together until their days at Mead High School in the east Washington city.

Singer/guitarist Myles Kennedy found his voice through hours of listening to his parents' Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye albums. "It's in my system and will never come out," Kennedy said. "I also love a lot of the Stax/Volt stuff, Otis Redding. It's like the backbone of pop music."

Kennedy says the garage rock and punk stylings of hometown heroes like the Fumes and Makers also made an impression. "Musically it's not necessarily my thing, but going to a (Makers') show was so entertaining, just so rock and roll. You never know what those guys are going to do. It's not just posing, that's the way those guys are. I remember they used to drive around in a hearse. I'm sure they probably don't like what we do, but I respect what they do."

Kennedy, guitarist Craig Johnson, bassist Marty Meisner and drummer Zia Uddin recorded their debut album Fallout with production by former Talking Head Jerry Harrison. The end result is a record that mixes the sounds of Motown and Muslim devotional music with the classic rock of Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones.

One of Kennedy's career highlights to date didn't happen in the studio or on the concert stage. At the 40th birthday of the Mayfield Four's original manager Susan Silver, Kennedy joined Chris Cornell in a song of tribute.

Cornell, the former Soundgarden singer, is Silver's husband. "We did My Funny Valentine together, him and I hung out that day and got to know each other. He's a great guy, I've got a lot of respect for him. He's a great songwriter and artist." "

See kids, this is what life was like before the internet. Mysteries! But hey, a new item next time someone is asking for Myles interview questions.
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

Wow, that is amazing. I wonder if they still stay in touch occasionally? This is definitely something I'd like to hear Myles talk more at length about. I'm surprised it was never mentioned/discovered until now

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Imagine Myles and Chris on a song or two together on his solo album.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I've definitely heard that story before, might've been during Slash's first album when they both had guest spots. Those would be some pretty good harmonies.
For all of the hope that it brings...

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

AB23 wrote:Imagine Myles and Chris on a song or two together on his solo album.
I was thinking that last night, how awesome it would be for Myles to open for Chris on his solo tour and for them to do some stuff together.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

agny wrote:
AB23 wrote:Imagine Myles and Chris on a song or two together on his solo album.
I was thinking that last night, how awesome it would be for Myles to open for Chris on his solo tour and for them to do some stuff together.
I like that idea, but I got a fantasy idea.

If those two are better buddy-buddy with each other, I can imagine them doing a tour together ala Jay Z and Justin Timberlake. Each would do a couple of songs solo, and somewhere in the middle or the end of the show, both guys would do some songs together. However, instead of the stadiums and the choreographs that Jay Z and JT were doing, it would be intimate theaters with acoustic guitars and more emphasis on vocals.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Yeah, that's what Chris does for his solo tours, small to medium theaters. He brought the opener out last night to do Hunger Strike and Hotel California.