Security

Any questions or comments about The Alter Bridge Nation website and forums can be posted here.
nagpo
On The Rail

Security

Post by nagpo »

I bring up the question of security because a website I frequent has recently been hacked and it got me to wonder how safe tabn is. Have any precautions been made just in case someone attacks? How safe are our passwords? Who handles the security of the site?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: Security

Post by Andy92 »

My general advice is to not use an "important" password for online forum accounts. As long as this site's password is different from the passwords you use to sites with credit card info (Amazon, PayPal, etc.), then I don't think it's much to worry about.

I also advise staying away from those password manager programs. If that gets compromised then you could be screwed.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Just a heads up that my anti-malware thing is basically giving me "avoid that place, bro" messages when I go onto the site, I guess because the connection isn't secure?

Not sure if you're able to do anything about it, zaz, as I guess the site is just old and creaking now with us huddled around a fire distractedly humming Alter Bridge songs at each other, but thought I'd just mention! Changed my password here anyway in case ne'er-do-wells are about (eg AlterBlade).
For all of the hope that it brings...

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Just keep a pocket knife nearby when you're visiting this site.

Post by zazthespaz »

Ubik wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:49 pm Just a heads up that my anti-malware thing is basically giving me "avoid that place, bro" messages when I go onto the site, I guess because the connection isn't secure?

Not sure if you're able to do anything about it, zaz, as I guess the site is just old and creaking now with us huddled around a fire distractedly humming Alter Bridge songs at each other, but thought I'd just mention! Changed my password here anyway in case ne'er-do-wells are about (eg AlterBlade).
Sorry, only seeing this now, surprised anyone uses this section of the board :lol

I think I mentioned this to Alex a while ago. I feel like the response was that it'd require a huge overhaul of the site. I may be wrong, but I'll bring it up next time we chat.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

I notice the site does not use an HTTPS anymore.. will raise this with Alex to see what is possible here...
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: Just keep a pocket knife nearby when you're visiting this site.

Post by Ubik »

zazthespaz wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:31 pm
Ubik wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:49 pm Just a heads up that my anti-malware thing is basically giving me "avoid that place, bro" messages when I go onto the site, I guess because the connection isn't secure?

Sorry, only seeing this now, surprised anyone uses this section of the board :lol

I think I mentioned this to Alex a while ago. I feel like the response was that it'd require a huge overhaul of the site. I may be wrong, but I'll bring it up next time we chat.
No worries!

Yeah I figured it might not be worthwhile, but thought I'd bring it up in case I was the only one getting the message. I now keep having to change my password each time I try and login because I've been coming up with ones I don't use elsewhere and forget them every time :lol
For all of the hope that it brings...