My First EP

A place to share your art, stories, poetry, songs, etc.
youknowverywell
White Knuckled

My First EP

Post by youknowverywell »

Hey guys! I've been working on this EP for a couple weeks and I just finished it a couple days ago so I wanted to share it with you. I recorded it on my MacBook Pro using Garageband and a Blue Yeti USB microphone. Myles Kennedy and Jeff Buckley are probably the two biggest influences on my songwriting and my vocals. I'm only 18 and I'm aware my voice makes it sound like I'm still a kid, so I know I have room to grow. I'd appreciate feedback and criticism cuz we're all Alter Bridge fans here so I know we all have an ear for good music ;)

Anyway! Here it is http://soundcloud.com/andersjohanson/sets/path/

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: My First EP

Post by Jaded Rescue »

I'll try to give this a listen later dude! At work at the moment but I know what it's like trying to push your music out there and a lot of people just don't give stuff a chance. I'll let you know what I think!

And welcome to the boards!

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Hey this stuff is great! The production value beats mine to hell, haha. I think you have a great identity for what you're trying to do. Sometimes I struggle trying to figure out whether I'm meant to be an acoustic artist or play hard rock, or classic rock, but you seem to have really nailed your niche and found your place really well. It's awesome.

And don't let anyone get down on you about your voice being young or anything. I think it's great, especially for you being just 18. The only criticism I would have is that on "Streams of Water" and "Path" there are a few moments where I think I may be hearing a light bit of straining, but it's not bad and still sounds good. I'm just noticing from a fellow vocalist's perspective.

Overall great great job!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I think I listened to your Soundcloud page once before. Love the vibe to your stuff man. Your voice fits the mood of the songwriting, it has a neat ambient sound to it. I actually think you have a good voice, but at your age you might wanna look into some vocal lessons if you haven't taken any. The tone is definitely there, but it never hurts to pick up some tips on how to improve your range and keep your vocal chords healthy.

Streams of Water reminds me of a some songs by a band called One Less Reason.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

Wow, thanks for the kind words, you guys! That means a lot to me. I'm thankful that I get to develop as a songwriter in an age where online marketing is so easy for someone to do on their own.
Jaded Rescue wrote:Hey this stuff is great! The production value beats mine to hell, haha. I think you have a great identity for what you're trying to do. Sometimes I struggle trying to figure out whether I'm meant to be an acoustic artist or play hard rock, or classic rock, but you seem to have really nailed your niche and found your place really well. It's awesome.

And don't let anyone get down on you about your voice being young or anything. I think it's great, especially for you being just 18. The only criticism I would have is that on "Streams of Water" and "Path" there are a few moments where I think I may be hearing a light bit of straining, but it's not bad and still sounds good. I'm just noticing from a fellow vocalist's perspective.

Overall great great job!
Thanks, dude! Haha I'm sure you could get some great production value out of your stuff. I survived on an iPad's built-in microphone before I was able to get all of the stuff I have now, and those recordings still hold up to my new stuff. In fact, my most successful song Overflow (and probably my favorite that I've ever written so far) was recorded on my iPad.

Yeah, there was probably a bit of straining on those tracks. I think I recorded the vocals at like two in the morning. If I were to redo them it would probably be a lot better but I think to the untrained ear what you and I hear as straining would sound like... emotional grit haha But yeah, thank you for bringing that up. I'll work on it.
Andy92 wrote:I think I listened to your Soundcloud page once before. Love the vibe to your stuff man. Your voice fits the mood of the songwriting, it has a neat ambient sound to it. I actually think you have a good voice, but at your age you might wanna look into some vocal lessons if you haven't taken any. The tone is definitely there, but it never hurts to pick up some tips on how to improve your range and keep your vocal chords healthy.

Streams of Water reminds me of a some songs by a band called One Less Reason.
You may have haha It's possible! Thank you, I'm glad my voice fits my songs. I've considered some vocal lessons, we'll see. If I don't do anything too crazy with my voice I think I'll hold up just fine haha I've watched tons and tons of videos on YouTube on how to preserve your vocal chords and how to utilize your diaphragm and all of that stuff and when I sing, even if I may be straining a bit, I'm not hurting during the process or after. But yeah, I would probably look into some vocal lessons maybe in the next couple years. As it is I have a range from about B2 to F#5 which is pretty close to Myles' range. If I could improve that I'd be all for it =P

I haven't heard of that band but I'll check them out! And if you want to listen to more of my stuff, here's a link to just my regular Soundcloud page and not just the EP https://soundcloud.com/andersjohanson

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

Now I'm jealous because of the quality of the sound compared to mine. :(

Your songs are great man! Same with Jaded Rescue here, I struggle on what I should mainly play but then I realized I just have to keep on writing songs and just filter them out as I go along. So far I have written seven songs, some are in my soundcloud http://www.soundcloud.com/divcruz. If you've got time you may want to listen to some of my songs and there are some covers also.

I love your Ominous Skies! :cheers

EDIT: I just got inspired to write songs again because of your music! I'm on your soundcloud right now. :bow

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

DivCruz wrote:Now I'm jealous because of the quality of the sound compared to mine. :(

Your songs are great man! Same with Jaded Rescue here, I struggle on what I should mainly play but then I realized I just have to keep on writing songs and just filter them out as I go along. So far I have written seven songs, some are in my soundcloud http://www.soundcloud.com/divcruz. If you've got time you may want to listen to some of my songs and there are some covers also.

I love your Ominous Skies! :cheers

EDIT: I just got inspired to write songs again because of your music! I'm on your soundcloud right now. :bow
Your stuff is awesome, bro! Don't worry about the sound quality, all that matters is the quality of what you're playing. Some of the best stuff I've ever heard have been bootleg recordings from a tape recorder in someone's pocket. Passion shines through despite audio quality.

I'm glad you like my songs and I'm glad I've inspired you to write again! Some things can only be said through music, you know? haha Can't wait to hear what you're coming up with!

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

youknowverywell wrote:
Your stuff is awesome, bro! Don't worry about the sound quality, all that matters is the quality of what you're playing. Some of the best stuff I've ever heard have been bootleg recordings from a tape recorder in someone's pocket. Passion shines through despite audio quality.

I'm glad you like my songs and I'm glad I've inspired you to write again! Some things can only be said through music, you know? haha Can't wait to hear what you're coming up with!
Thanks, man! I'm having a little bit of a hard time trying to come up with something new. Stuck I am it seems. :(

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

DivCruz wrote:Thanks, man! I'm having a little bit of a hard time trying to come up with something new. Stuck I am it seems. :(
Oh man, I've been there haha Just keep writing whatever. Write snippets of lyrics as they come to you, record any cool guitar parts you come up with. After a while you should be able to put a few songs together from those

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

youknowverywell wrote:
DivCruz wrote:Thanks, man! I'm having a little bit of a hard time trying to come up with something new. Stuck I am it seems. :(
Oh man, I've been there haha Just keep writing whatever. Write snippets of lyrics as they come to you, record any cool guitar parts you come up with. After a while you should be able to put a few songs together from those
Haha, thank you really for the advice! I will and I'm hoping for some new songs from you! :cheers

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

I'm currently trying to work on my second EP, Horizon...

...not much to work off of at the moment but I'm always writing down ideas =) Inspiration can come from anywhere so always have a pen ready haha

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I don't think your voice sound like a kid at all. I especially liked your voice the first song. Ofcourse there's always room to grow, but I wish I sounded like that when I was 18..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

Timotheus wrote:I don't think your voice sound like a kid at all. I especially liked your voice the first song. Ofcourse there's always room to grow, but I wish I sounded like that when I was 18..
Thanks, man! This EP was from last year, I've grown so much over this year. But, like you said, there's always room for improvement!

Here's what I sound like now

[youtube]http://youtu.be/PGqJbl9mMF8[/youtube]

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

youknowverywell wrote:
Timotheus wrote:I don't think your voice sound like a kid at all. I especially liked your voice the first song. Ofcourse there's always room to grow, but I wish I sounded like that when I was 18..
Thanks, man! This EP was from last year, I've grown so much over this year. But, like you said, there's always room for improvement!

Here's what I sound like now

[youtube]http://youtu.be/PGqJbl9mMF8[/youtube]
Insanely Amazing, I say! :headbang I don't know, but I think I like this better than the original. :lol or does it sound the same? haha. But, man, sounds amazing! Despite that it is only accompanied with a guitar.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Nice! That's some impressive progress! You got a really cool voice!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

Timotheus wrote:Nice! That's some impressive progress! You got a really cool voice!
:yeahthat and that long note! :bow

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

DivCruz wrote:
Timotheus wrote:Nice! That's some impressive progress! You got a really cool voice!
:yeahthat and that long note! :bow
Thanks guys! haha I'm so glad to be in a community like this