Lyric Writing

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Lyric Writing

Postby Jaded Rescue » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:56 pm

Hey Lyricists,
How do you go about writing? Do you find that you tend to write from a certain point of view or perspective?

Lately I've been realizing that I tend to write the majority of my lyrics from the perspective of the singer/narrator communicating to someone (like the kind of perspective in which a lot of love songs are written). Then I find myself listening to the latest Weezer album, noticing that Rivers Cuomo writes some songs as if he's telling a story (the song Mexican Fender is a good example of this).

I don't feel like my writing style has become stale just yet, but I want to keep things fresh. How do you shake things up?

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Re: Lyric Writing

Postby TenaciousBe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:04 pm

I almost always write from my own point of view, usually exaggerating feelings a bit for dramatic effect but generally, autobiographical. I do have one song, though, that I wrote more from the point of view of some of my various friends who had gone through different depressions and addictions and such, but it still came out as "I" and "me" lyrically. I've pretty much been stuck there and haven't written anything new in about 2 years, though.
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Lyric Writing

Postby Jaded Rescue » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:26 pm

TenaciousBe wrote:I almost always write from my own point of view, usually exaggerating feelings a bit for dramatic effect but generally, autobiographical. I do have one song, though, that I wrote more from the point of view of some of my various friends who had gone through different depressions and addictions and such, but it still came out as "I" and "me" lyrically. I've pretty much been stuck there and haven't written anything new in about 2 years, though.

I feel you there. I've been writing consistently with my band as of late, but acoustically I had a pretty big gap of writer's block which I think was also about 2 years until I wrote a song that I finished this past August. I was really happy with it, but I really hope I don't go that long without getting something new finished again.

Return to “Musicians Unite”