Me and my mate's prog-rock effort

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
antiwal
Loyal Follower

Me and my mate's prog-rock effort

Post by antiwal »

Not in a "band" per se - but me and my mate often get together and jam just for fun. I came up with an idea for a conceptual prog-rock song which we recorded in a back room accompanied by a computer and copious amounts of tea. Its not as professional as some of you guys on here but hey, we had a crack!

I play the guitars and wrote the lyrics & composition. My mate sings, plays bass and is whizz at programming the drums.

If you ears can withstand 13 minutes of overblown prog rock, go here;

https://antiwal.bandcamp.com/releases

Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: Me and my mate's prog-rock effort

Post by Crumbso »

It's very good stuff man. I really liked some of the orchestral brass sounding keys in the background. I also dig the super spacey clean section in the middle. I got a little bit of a Paul Di'Anno vibe of the lower vocals and that was really cool to hear as loads of prog stuff has whiney high pitched vocals that I really dislike. Any plans to do any more stuff?

If there is one criticism it's that the opening riff is perhaps a little too close to Strange Deja Vu by DT.

Strange question, and feel free to tell me to fuck off, but would I be able to have a go at doing an alternate mix? Kind of a hobby of mine and this would be really cool to try.

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Crumbso wrote:It's very good stuff man. I really liked some of the orchestral brass sounding keys in the background. I also dig the super spacey clean section in the middle. I got a little bit of a Paul Di'Anno vibe of the lower vocals and that was really cool to hear as loads of prog stuff has whiney high pitched vocals that I really dislike. Any plans to do any more stuff?

If there is one criticism it's that the opening riff is perhaps a little too close to Strange Deja Vu by DT.

Strange question, and feel free to tell me to fuck off, but would I be able to have a go at doing an alternate mix? Kind of a hobby of mine and this would be really cool to try.
Hey man, thanks for the feedback - very much appreciated! I am big DT fan also and see what you mean about Strange Deja Vu - but I never even thought about that! One mate said he thought part of the intro reminded him for Aerosmiths' Walk This Way (eww!).

We have actually done stuff before this, but this is definitely our strongest effort. Our other tracks are more standard 5 min rock songs. We have a youtube channel that has this and a few other songs on (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm0sEzhMN7o).

I'd love for you to have a crack at an alternate mix! But let me check with my mate first. He's actually looking at doing a radio-edit version :)

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Crumbso! Ok, sure go ahead and be our guest if you wanna remix our track. My mate says this;

"If he's a dab hand at production he might be able to make it sound even better! Ask him what he needs. I can get him all the audio and Reaper files, or if it's enough the stems (complete individual tracks)."

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Awesome. Should be fun.

I think stems for all teh guitar/bass/keys/vox without any effects would be fine (unless you have dry tracks for re-amping).

MIDI files for teh drums would be cool. See if any of the drum packs I have would be a good fit.

It really is a cool song. The more I listen the less I notice that riff I mentioned. I like the vocal hook too, very nice.

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Crumbso wrote:Awesome. Should be fun.

I think stems for all teh guitar/bass/keys/vox without any effects would be fine (unless you have dry tracks for re-amping).

MIDI files for teh drums would be cool. See if any of the drum packs I have would be a good fit.

It really is a cool song. The more I listen the less I notice that riff I mentioned. I like the vocal hook too, very nice.
Cool, my mate is on it. Give us a few days or something - we'll get back to you! :rockon

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Look forward to it man. I have a dropbox account if that's the best way to share it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Just gave it a listen. Sorry it took me this long. I usually try to listen to all the songs people post on here, but the idea of listening to a 13 minute home-recorded prog song somehow seemed like a lot of work :D

I really enjoyed the listen. There was a lot of cool stuff in there. Great singing and playing!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Why many thanks Timotheus sir! Yeah, we were stoked how it came out :)

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Crumbso wrote:Look forward to it man. I have a dropbox account if that's the best way to share it.
Yo. Should be getting the stems tonight. So will get them over to you later this week, so you can have a play! Maybe PM me your dropbox link, or I can share via googledrive?

"All the tracks start at the same time, with the exception of the gong. I made a booboo but it would take too much work to change all of them just for that. It's quite easy to sync though if he wants to include it. The point at which it starts to clang loudly coincides with the first guitar."

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Awesome. I've PMed you.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I enjoyed it as well. Great guitar tone.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

One Drew Remains wrote:I enjoyed it as well. Great guitar tone.
Many thanks! :cheers