The Last Hero tabs/guitar related stuff

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
Dolo
Burn It Down

The Last Hero tabs/guitar related stuff

Post by Dolo »

Some tracks off TLH have been already released so we can start discussing some guitar stuff.
This is some scratch tabbage of The Other Side, its 80-90% correct, i'd say.

* stands for palm mute

Intro

Code: Select all

eb|--------------------------------------------------|
Bb|-------------0------------------------------------|
Gb|---------4s6---6------0---0-----------------------|
Db|-------0---------0--------------------------------|
Ab|-----2--------------1---1-------------------------|
Bb|---0------------------------0-0-1-0-0-1--0--------|
eb|--------------------------------------------------|
Bb|-------------0------------------------------------|
Gb|---------4s6---6------0--2p0-0--------------------|
Db|-------0---------0--------------------------------|
Ab|-----2--------------1-----------------------------|
Bb|---0---------------------------0-0-1-0-0-1--0-----|
The number of 0s is not accurate, but you can figure it out yourself

eb|----------------------------------------------------------|
Bb|----------------------------------------------------------|
Gb|----------------------------------------------------------|
Db|----------------------------------------------------------|
Ab|---------8-8-8-------8-8-8----------------8-8-8-----------|
Bb|---0-0-0-6-6-6-0-0-0-6-6-6-0-0-000--0-0-0-6-6-6-000-000---|

eb|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
Bb|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
Gb|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
Db|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
Ab|---------12-12-12-------12-12-12----------------12-12-12------------|
Bb|---0-0-0-10-10-10-0-0-0-10-10-10-0-0-000--0-0 0-10-10-10--000-000---|
Verses are similar to the intro heavy part, there are only some pauses with open 6th string

Pre-chorus

eb|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Bb|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Gb|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Db|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Ab|----14-13---13-12---12-11---11-10----------14-13---13-12---12-11---11-10--------|
Bb|--0-------0-------0-------0-------0-0-0--0-------0-------0-------0-------0-0-0--|
     *       *       *       *       * * *  *       *       *       *       * * *
No idea about the chorus part but last two chords may be:

eb|--------------|
Bb|--------------|
Gb|--------------|
Db|---9---8------|
Ab|---10--9------|
Bb|---8---7------|
Some bridge lead

eb|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Bb|--13p12-13p12-13p12-13p12--numerous times----17p16-17p16-17p16-17p16------------|
Gb|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Db|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Ab|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Bb|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Not sure about this part. It sounds like they pick just a few notes and then some echo repeats them, but the notes should be correct

The bit around 5:45, the lead version of which appears earlier and is pretty similar

Db|--/9---7----4---2--4--2---8-----------------------------------------------------|
Ab|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Re: The Last Hero tabs/guitar related stuff

Post by One Drew Remains »

Thanks man. I'll have to attempt this in a bit.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Some guy on UG posted a tab of The Other Side but in Drop B, so it might be wrong just because of that.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

The Other Side sound right in Drop B to me too.

I figured out You Will Be Remembered today. I am working on a quick Guitar Pro tab atm. The tuning I figured it out in is standard E with a capo on the 2nd fret.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

But it isn't regular Drop B. Somebody already posted a link to an interview where Mark confirms the same tuning as in Come to Life or All Hope is Gone.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Dolo wrote:But it isn't regular Drop B. Somebody already posted a link to an interview where Mark confirms the same tuning as in Come to Life or All Hope is Gone.
Sorry. It's not drop B. It's Drop A# (OR Bb, whichever). The same tuning as Broken Wings and Come To Life. Tune half a step down, but take the low E all the way down to Bb. That is the right tuning.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Anyone notice marks guitar tone on this record seemed alot... trashier and heavier sounding?

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Well, first of all, all the guitars are heavilly buried beneath the vocals and drums so it's hard to tell.
And the other thing, I'm not sure which track was done by Mark which by Myles.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

Buried beneath the drums? Are we listening to the same album? Everyone else is complaining that the guitars are a wall of sound.

Edit: And Im gonna say most if not all of the rhythms are done by Mark and Myles just adds his leads in. Lots of bands record this way to keep it tight.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Kreuger33 wrote:And Im gonna say most if not all of the rhythms are done by Mark and Myles just adds his leads in. Lots of bands record this way to keep it tight.
Absolutely... the ferocious palm muting and strumming could only be mark. Myles plays much more smoothly, and like all of their albums since Blackbird I can hear his layerings over marks 'wall of sound'

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Yeah, gonna have to agree, the guitars DOMINATE the mix on this album. Not so sure it is all Mark handling the riffage though. Pretty sure Myles can play his parts tight enough when it comes to the studio recordings. Also, would you want someone else playing the beastly Island of Fools riff if you wrote it? I know I wouldn't.

Also, update on YWBR. Ignore my previous comment on it. I am working on the tab still (in between working on my own songs), but the basic chords so far are;
Intro and Verse
F#mj, B x12
Pre Chrous
C#mj, B
Chorus
F#mj, C#mj, B X3
C#mj, B
Last edited by The Plotblocker on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Are you saying myles wrote the island of fools riffs?

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

mitch103 wrote:Are you saying myles wrote the island of fools riffs?
Yes, and so are Myles and Mark.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Did you read that in an interview or something? Just curious

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Yeah. It's been mentioned multiple times by both guys in various interviews, mention in many reviews and discussed on this forum. It is the Mastodon/Gojira inspired riff he wrote.

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

The Plotblocker wrote:Yeah, gonna have to agree, the guitars DOMINATE the mix on this album. Not so sure it is all Mark handling the riffage though. Pretty sure Myles can play his parts tight enough when it comes to the studio recordings. Also, would you want someone else playing the beastly Island of Fools riff if you wrote it? I know I wouldn't.

Also, update on YWBR. Ignore my previous comment on it. I am working on the tab still (in between working on my own songs), but the basic chords so far are;
Intro and Verse
F#mj, B x12
Pre Chrous
C#mj, B
Chorus
F#mj, C#mj, B X3
C#mj, B
Youre right in that the creator would probably play it better. Maybe whoever wrote the songs will play it.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Kreuger33 wrote:
The Plotblocker wrote:Yeah, gonna have to agree, the guitars DOMINATE the mix on this album. Not so sure it is all Mark handling the riffage though. Pretty sure Myles can play his parts tight enough when it comes to the studio recordings. Also, would you want someone else playing the beastly Island of Fools riff if you wrote it? I know I wouldn't.

Intro and Verse
F#mj, B x12
Pre Chrous
C#mj, B
Chorus
F#mj, C#mj, B X3
C#mj, B
Youre right in that the creator would probably play it better. Maybe whoever wrote the songs will play it.
That is how I would do it. I personally would not let other people play my riffs on the record.

Trmills823
Brand New Start

Post by Trmills823 »

Intro and Verse
F#mj, B x12
Pre Chrous
C#mj, B
Chorus
F#mj, C#mj, B X3
C#mj, B
Guitars are pretty dominant, but they aren't really clear to differentiate. I'm trying to work on IOF and failing miserably. Not having an amp at home doesn't help either. Still, so brutal. Aside from basic chord structures and where the bass goes, there are ton of little intricate parts that you just can't hear through the wall of sound... :slam

Update/edit... spent a good bit of time on the main riff for an hour or so. I think I migh have it, but it rolls by so fast it's hard to pick up the nuances. But boy does my hand hurt haha. I might try to upload a tab, if I mange to get time tomorrow.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Trmills823 wrote:

Intro and Verse
F#mj, B x12
Pre Chrous
C#mj, B
Chorus
F#mj, C#mj, B X3
C#mj, B
Guitars are pretty dominant, but they aren't really clear to differentiate. I'm trying to work on IOF and failing miserably. Not having an amp at home doesn't help either. Still, so brutal. Aside from basic chord structures and where the bass goes, there are ton of little intricate parts that you just can't hear through the wall of sound... :slam

Update/edit... spent a good bit of time on the main riff for an hour or so. I think I migh have it, but it rolls by so fast it's hard to pick up the nuances. But boy does my hand hurt haha. I might try to upload a tab, if I mange to get time tomorrow.
The main riff in IOF is the only part of that song i have even come close to figuring out. As you quite rightly stated, it is hard to pick out a lot of the guitar parts through the wall of sound, and not just on this record. Also figured out the main SMAL riff on my mates 7 string.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Haha, well I'm somewhat glad I'm not the only one struggling to figure anything out because of the wall-of-sound-production.