A baritone for BADGBE?

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
Dolo
Burn It Down

A baritone for BADGBE?

Post by Dolo »

Hello fellow guitarists, here is a question I've been lately thinking about.

I wrote a couple of songs and they happen to be in different tunings (Standard E, Drop D, Double Drop D and BADGBE). I have only one electric guitar - PRS Tremonti SE with Ernie Ball 10-52 on it which totally works for all of tunings except for BADGBE. Now, I've been thinking about buying a baritone axe which I could use for the lower tunings, but would it work for BADGBE? I'm not an expert as regards baritones, but from what I've heard they have shorter scale so wouldn't that be a problem with majority of strings being in Std E?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: A baritone for BADGBE?

Post by Jhenrid »

Baritones have a longer scale so I'm thinking (not 100% sure) that BADGBE would probably be a problem. Also I would think that would be a bit of a waste for a baritone, have you tried using a thicker string on the low B? I think Myles said he used 62 when they play I know it hurts.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Yeah, I've considered that, but still, I would need 2 guitars. I saw that Ernie Ball makes single strings packages, so I would put like 10-62 on BADGBE but still I need an extra guitar, since the first would be for 10-52.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I'm not sure if you can use a baritone for that tuning with much success. Since it's standard tuning with the E dropped to a B, you've still got 5 strings in standard for a normal scale guitar. When you add the extra length for the baritone, I don't know how it wil affect being able to tune those 5 strings to standard. I think it'd cause the strings to be too tense and possibly break from trying to tune them too high, but I've never used a baritone, so that's just my theory. I'd research it to see if it's even possible first.

If you want my opinion, I think it'd be cool to own a baritone for lower tunings. I feel like a true baritone would offer more versatility in your playing options. If you're looking to cover a handful of AB songs in BADGBE and maybe write some of your own stuff, a standard scale guitar with a thicker bottom string would be your best bet like Jhenrid suggested. But if it were me, I'd go with the baritone and use other low tunings.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.