New Guitar Advice

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
Patty
White Knuckled

New Guitar Advice

Post by Patty »

Right, so I think it's time to replace my first ever electric. It was a PRS Tremonti SE and now it's a bit bashed etc. Unfortunately it's been victim to some shifting about.

I'm thinking about replacing it with a Tremonti SE Custom and replacing the pick ups with Tremonti ones?

Got a nice little bonus this year so I'm gonna treat myself.

However is this a good or a bad idea?
Credit to the original sig creator. (Please remind me who you are so I can credit you properly)

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: New Guitar Advice

Post by Jhenrid »

Yes and no, it depends what exactly you're going for. It's a good upgrade but make sure it fits you first. The Tremonti se custom neck is thinner and it has a trem on it. The neck may or may not be a problem, I generally have no problem going back and forth between thinner and thicker necks but I would suggest trying one out to make sure you're comfortable with the feel. The trem isn't a problem per se as you can block it off if you don't like it but if you use it just remember you may spend more time tuning than you're used to. I definitely would go with the upgraded pickups but that;s because I feel they have more bite but you may like what the stock ones do.

Patty
White Knuckled

Post by Patty »

I've had a play around with a USA model when I was in Glasgow and liked the feel and sound. However, my bonus doesn't stretch that far. So I was hoping this was a good alternative. :D
Credit to the original sig creator. (Please remind me who you are so I can credit you properly)

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

This is the perfect alternative, in that case! A couple other good upgrades are the locking tuners, and if necessary, a better nut, but the one on there will do the job just fine. It won't be as good, compared to the USA model, but it'll be pretty close, and it will still sound and play like a champ
Thanks Timo!

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

austinjhnsn wrote:This is the perfect alternative, in that case! A couple other good upgrades are the locking tuners, and if necessary, a better nut, but the one on there will do the job just fine. It won't be as good, compared to the USA model, but it'll be pretty close, and it will still sound and play like a champ
I just did the same thing recently. Got a tobacco burst SE Custom from zzounds.com, and used gift cards I got for the holidays and my birthday for Guitar Center to order the Tremonti USA pickups. Took them to my local guitar shop to get setup with D'addario mid top/heavy bottoms in drop C, a new graphite nut, and the pups installed. While you WILL have to tune more often than normal with this guitar, it's nothing compared to a double locking floating bridge like a floyd rose which took me FOREVER to get in tune. Will upgrade next to the locking tuners eventually. Sold my original SE for $250. Compared to the $400 i paid for it over 8 years ago, I think I made out pretty good. After all was said and done I paid close to $1100 for the guitar and it's beastly.

Now if I can just get my Peavey XXX back from repairs I'll be able to see what this thing can REALLY do.

Patty
White Knuckled

Post by Patty »

Cool, thanks for the advice, guys. I've been given a quote from Fret 12 for the guitar and having the pick ups installed. Just need to finalise the purchase and then wait patiently for the shipment.