Converting Tremonti SE Custom

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
gobaloon
TABN.com Citizen

Converting Tremonti SE Custom

Post by gobaloon »

Hi All

Started playing again and need a decent electric. So looking at PRS as an ideal guitar. But problem is I am a lefty and the only PRS lefty is a custom at a price outside of my budget.

So the thought is I get a cheaper PRS and turn it over -simple!

What I was thinking is I will need a new nut, strap pin and strings (obviously). But I am no expert so have asked a few stores to do it but none willing.

Main issue from one store is below:

"the wrap around bridge is intonated specifically for the string gauge and is not alterable or reversible. They really aren't the easiest manufacturer of guitars to flip at all to a left handed setup"

Any thoughts?

I have emailed a local luthier and waiting on reply.

Thx

G

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Re: Converting Tremonti SE Custom

Post by Fish Tacos »

If the wrap around bridge isn't adjustable to the extent needed, I don't see why you couldn't buy just the lefty bridge standalone from PRS (or elsewhere) and have the luthier install it on whatever stock you want.

gobaloon
TABN.com Citizen

Post by gobaloon »

Yeh someone said that-totally confused.

Been in touch with 2 luthiers. One was scared to do it and the other too busy.

Just got a Epiphone LP lefty for the time being and keep playing. Found a second hand PRS lefty from a cool guy selling a custom 22 lefty. Need to save and hope someone else doesn't want it.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Confused with what I said?
PRS wrote:For ease of intonation of non-standard or extra heavy string gauges, a special order version of the PRS Stoptail with individually adjustable saddles is available. The adjustable PRS Stoptail is available in nickel or gold plate. All PRS parts and accessories are available for special order; please contact our accessories department for ordering information.
Source: https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/bridges.html

According to this, you should be able to purchase what you need separately. Sounds like your problem is finding a luthier worth his salt.