PRS Archon and Mesa Dual Rectifier Clips

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
PiggySmallz
TABN.com Citizen

PRS Archon and Mesa Dual Rectifier Clips

Post by PiggySmallz »

I get a lot of questions on the differences between the Archon and the Dual Rectifier so I figured I'd record them. I think the Archon is a smoother amp similar to the Uberschall but I enjoy playing both for different reasons. The Mesa has some more mids and fizz to it which would sit better in a mix.

All were recorded with a Two Notes Torpedo Live with the same cab to keep it consistent. For the PRS Archon and Mesa Dual Rectifier recordings I used an SM57 and an R160. FOr the blend of both amps I used only an SM57. All were dual tracked.

I'm interested to see which one you all prefer.

https://soundcloud.com/jpigz/archon

https://soundcloud.com/jpigz/mesa-dual-rectifier

https://soundcloud.com/jpigz/archon-dual-rectifier

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: PRS Archon and Mesa Dual Rectifier Clips

Post by Andy92 »

Both are great sounding amps. For my personal tastes and preference, I give the edge to the Dual Rec here. The single note part of the riff at the beginning sounds more prominent through the Dual Rec imo. But once you get to the chorus and play the chords, I think the Archon sounds a little more full. I think this clip helps highlight the strengths of both amps well.

If I had to gig with only one amp though, I'd definitely pick the Archon because it has a far superior clean channel to my ears.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

PiggySmallz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PiggySmallz »

I'd agree with you. The Archon can get some additional note articulation if I were to bump the mids up a bit and increase the presence. It would then start to get a little fizzy though.

To me the Dual Rectifier is flubby and needs an overdrive in front of it to really get it sounding good. Hearing Mark's in person I've wondered whether or not his is modded. It doesn't have the trademark Rectifier fizz and flub to it.

For being a two channel amp, the Archon is extremely versatil and much easier to dial in a decent tone. The Dual Rectifier certainly sits well in the mix though. As you pointed out, the single notes pop out much more on the Recto.

Even though I used the exact same cabinet/mic combos, there are still a lot of variables. I could have tweaked both amps a little differently and to be honest the Recto is due for a tube change.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

What year was your Dual Rec made it? Mark probably has one from the 90s. Those seem to go for higher prices on the used market than the 2000s era amps. Apparently Mesa changed up the production method or something for the amps over the years. I agree that a Dual Rec sounds flubby without an overdrive in front.

I wanna try a 5150 III in person. I've heard they're really tight amps, but I don't think they're made in the USA. You probably get better overall quality control with PRS and Mesa in that regard.

PiggySmallz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PiggySmallz »

I have a 2010 Multi Watt Model. Those early 90s Models sound amazing, but I think Mark's is from the later 90s or newer Solo heads. The Triple Recs in general sound different to me than the Dual Rectifiers as well. I know Mark's got some other amps that were modded, so I wouldn't doubt it. Part of me wonders if it was modded by Voodoo considering he had Trace build him a V Rock as well.

The 5150 IIIs sound incredible. Very tight, similar to the Archon in my opinion but with more mids and bite. It would most likely be exactly what you're looking for. I can't speak for the quality control though, but quality can be hit or miss with any production amp.

I've seen a lot of complaints online about Mesas. THey are a nightmare to get fixed too. There have been issues with Archons as well with cutting out, gain channels popping, and a noisy effects loop. The only issue I have on mine is the noisy effects loop, otherwise it's a pretty quiet amp. To be honest, I think its just how the amp was built and where the effects loop is in the circuitry. Soldano's are known for noisy effect loops too. I'm going to try a buffer in there and see if I can get it to quiet down.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

The 5150 III seems to fit the sound I'm going for the most. I'd like to get one in a few months. Waiting to get enough pay days in before I pull the trigger on it. I just started my first full time job in August lol.

I honestly haven't heard of many issues with the 5150 III personally, I just know them being manufactured outside the USA turns a few people off. But I tend to agree with you. Any amp made in large quantities will have a number of duds get released.

I'd imagine Mark gets his stuff modded as well. Most guitarists of his stature get techs lining up to do stuff like that for free lol.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I preferred the last clip listed. It sounded crisper and a bit less "muted" than the mesa.

Power7
Brand New Start

Post by Power7 »

PiggySmallz wrote:I get a lot of questions on the differences between the Archon and the Dual Rectifier so I figured I'd record them. I think the Archon is a smoother amp similar to the Uberschall but I enjoy playing both for different reasons. The Mesa has some more mids and fizz to it which would sit better in a mix.

All were recorded with a Two Notes Torpedo Live with the same cab to keep it consistent. For the PRS Archon and Mesa Dual Rectifier recordings I used an SM57 and an R160. FOr the blend of both amps I used only an SM57. All were dual tracked.

I'm interested to see which one you all prefer.

https://soundcloud.com/jpigz/archon

https://soundcloud.com/jpigz/mesa-dual-rectifier

https://soundcloud.com/jpigz/archon-dual-rectifier
Hi man, excellent demos =) Which you consider that is more darker and less brighter? Because, one thing is that we can hear in a demo, and other thing is that we can hear in reality in front the amp.