How to properly setup a Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier?

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
DeadCell
Come To Life

How to properly setup a Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier?

Post by DeadCell »

Ok, we all knew this thread was coming.

I've been playing around with the Mesa and got some amazing tones while using my ESP LTD H-351FR (which has EMG's in it).

But to my surprise (considering this is my first REAL amp) tone actually varies drastically between guitars. This goes double for my PRS Tremonti SE and SE Singlecut (sooooo much bass, ugh).

I attempted to dial in a good tone with the Tremonti SE with no luck. I'm playing in a mud pit at this point, despite investing a number of hours on it lol. So I thought I could use some help.

Does anyone having any tips for dialing in good tones on a Mesa Recto? Some recommended settings (which I know vary between guitars but I'll try anything)? Or even just some general tips on where to begin?

I'm a total amp noob so maybe the Recto wasn't the brightest decision I've made but I'm determined to learn. And let's be honest, I've made my bed at this point lol. I know a lot of you play PRS' in combination with Recto's so I figured some of you may have some tips to get some good voicing with this pair.

Also what's everyone's opinion on Spongy vs Bold and Silicon Diodes vs Vacuum Tubes?

Thanks guys.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: How to properly setup a Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier?

Post by Andy92 »

I would just start all the knobs at 12 o'clock and just do palm mute down strokes on the E string...then start changing up. If it's too bass heavy, back off the bass and increase the treble. Back off the treble if it gets too "ice picky." I usually leave the Presence around 1-2 o'clock on most amps, but that'll change with your guitar too. A Mesa isn't a plug 'n play amp :D lol. They are a little frustrating to dial in, but they'll produce the tons you want.

This page has a list of Mark's gear (it's a little outdated). But when it lists the Rectifier it shows where he places his controls. I guess he's mentioned this in a rig rundown at some point.

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-w ... nt-and-rig

Those settings may give you a starting point anyways. Not sure if I'd put my bass at 10 lol.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

http://www.marktremonti.net/equipmentit ... =triplerec

idk the authenticity of these settings but it might also be a starting point, as there's all three channels, so maybe one is that tone your looking for.
Thanks Timo!

DeadCell
Come To Life

Post by DeadCell »

Sweet. I'll check those out.