Alter Bridge/Creed/Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Re: Alter Bridge/Creed/Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

After listening to the album some more, could This side of fate and You will be remembered be in Drop B? Some of those chord voicings make the most sense in those tunings. And I think Cradle to the grave is definitely in Drop C#.

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

Post by The DIsposable Hero »

I could buy Myles being in a Drop B for This Side of Fate, but judging off of this interview on the Jasta podcast Mark and Myles did, Mark is in "some crazy tuning".

Mark did tweet the other day that You Will Be Remembered is in Drop B.

And we know that Mark is in Drop C# for Cradle to the Grave, but Myles we still don't know. It's some form of Open G minor half step down though.
Hey there, I'm the guy who started the Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List. Check it out!

Dakota C. (The Disposable Hero)

mockingbird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mockingbird »

I'm sure Island of Fools is in Drop C# since I tried figuring it out by ear on my Drop C# tuned guitar and it worked. Crows is Drop C indeed.

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

mockingbird wrote:I'm sure Island of Fools is in Drop C# since I tried figuring it out by ear on my Drop C# tuned guitar and it worked. Crows is Drop C indeed.
Island is definitely in Drop C -- even though it's power chords, the chord progression for the chorus is Gm-Dm-D#-Cm. And the song pedals off between D and C repeatedly in the main riffs.
Hey there, I'm the guy who started the Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List. Check it out!

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

The DIsposable Hero wrote:I could buy Myles being in a Drop B for This Side of Fate, but judging off of this interview on the Jasta podcast Mark and Myles did, Mark is in "some crazy tuning".

And we know that Mark is in Drop C# for Cradle to the Grave, but Myles we still don't know. It's some form of Open G minor half step down though.
Got a link to that podcast? I'd love to listen to it.

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

SchwiizVT12 wrote:
The DIsposable Hero wrote:I could buy Myles being in a Drop B for This Side of Fate, but judging off of this interview on the Jasta podcast Mark and Myles did, Mark is in "some crazy tuning".

A few weeks ago, I tried to find the Jasta podcast with Alter Bridge online -- but the Jasta show's free archive only goes back about a month and a half or so, so you would have to pay to listen to it through that podcast network's premium service.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

The DIsposable Hero wrote:
SchwiizVT12 wrote:

A few weeks ago, I tried to find the Jasta podcast with Alter Bridge online -- but the Jasta show's free archive only goes back about a month and a half or so, so you would have to pay to listen to it through that podcast network's premium service.
Regardless, we don't know what 'crazy tuning' may mean.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

Dolo wrote:
The DIsposable Hero wrote:
SchwiizVT12 wrote:

Regardless, we don't know what 'crazy tuning' may mean.
Someone needs to ask him on the European tour. I unfortunately don't have the funds to do the Meet and Greet for both me and my girlfriend but I will be hanging out by the buses after the show in Basel and crossing my fingers and toes that I'll run into them.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

We can ask him on Twitter as well.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

So Mark Tremonti responded to me on Twitter, telling me, "I'd have to go relearn it to tell you, it's a new tuning for us."

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

That's pretty funny lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

rockit2112
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rockit2112 »

Guess that means we're never hearing that one live lol

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

Nah, Mark said that for other songs too like Crows on a Wire and The Last Hero. It's probably been several months since he's last played these songs, so he honestly would just have to relearn it (which wouldn't be that difficult) and then bam, they can play it live.

aj77
Brand New Start

Post by aj77 »

Hey, just read an interview on musicradar.com where Myles and Mark talk tunings amongst other things and thought it would go along well with your hard work here!

I don't know how to post pictures on here yet, but here's the detail I found out:

Cradle to the Grave - Myles: Open Gminor down a step and a half (B string tuned extra half step from Gmajor to minor)

Twilight - Mark: DADGAD

My Champion - Mark: BG#C#F#A#D# (tune low string to C then everything half step down)

This Side of Fate - Mark: new tuning never used before (& not alluded to!)

Show Me A Leader - Mark: 7 string standard but down tuned; Myles: 6 string in same down tuning

Hope that fits with what you've worked out yourself!

I've got more detail I found out from a video of Mark backstage too but I'll add that a bit later...

Cheers!

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

I wonder if that new one for TSoF is B#-F#-C#-F#-B-D, as mentioned here

Drumkidstu
Brand New Start

Post by Drumkidstu »

That B F# C# F# B D tuning is the one that Mark uses on TSOF. I believe we have found the holy grail. I can't tell what myles is in on that tune. I am going to guess either Drop C# or Drop B.

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

That has to be the tuning for This Side of Fate! I normally don't jump to conclusions, but that's most likely it, because the song is in B minor and it's in a wacky tuning.

It's also a good likelihood that it's in this tuning (B F# C# F# B D - Open B minor add 9) because this is the same tuning as Big Wreck's "Prayer", which Mark Tremonti has covered live while playing with his solo band.

Drumkidstu
Brand New Start

Post by Drumkidstu »

So I take it that more than likely the tunings on the new record are as follows

Show Me A Leader: Mark: 7 string in Ab standard. Myles: Drop D down a half step.

The Writing on the Wall: A# G# C# F# A# D#

The Other Side: A# G# C# F# A# D#

My Champion: Mark: B G# C# F# A# D# ( also played a half step lower in certain live videos. In addition on several live videos I have seen him play it on the same guitar that he used for Come to Life meaning occasionally he has played in A# G# C# F# A# D#) Myles: I have heard Open G Major down a half step. (live I have seen him play it with the same guitar for Open Your Eyes which would suggest C# G# C# G# C# C#. Also Open F major if mark has tuned down a half step.)

Poison In Your Veins: C# G# C# F# A# D#

Cradle To The Grave: Mark: C# G# C# F# A# D# Myles: C# F# C# F# A C#

Losing Patience: C# G# C# F# A# D#

This Side of Fate: Mark: B F# C# F# B D confirmed in Ultimate Guitar interview Myles: B A D G B E confirmed by Rockitt 2112 in Atlanta.

You Will Be Remembered: Mark: B F# B E G# C# Myles: C# G# C# F# A# D#

Crows On a Wire: C G C F A D

Twilight: Mark: C# G# C# F# G# C# Myles: C# G# C# F# A# D#

Island Of Fools: C G C F A D

The Last Hero: C G C F A D

Symphony of Agony: A# G# C# F# A# D#
Last edited by Drumkidstu on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

rockit2112
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rockit2112 »

At the M&G in Atlanta I asked Myles and Mark about their tuning for This Side of Fate, Myles said he was in Standard with the low E string dropped to B, and Mark couldn't remember exactly what he was in but mentioned F#.

Drumkidstu
Brand New Start

Post by Drumkidstu »

rockit2112 wrote:At the M&G in Atlanta I asked Myles and Mark about their tuning for This Side of Fate, Myles said he was in Standard with the low E string dropped to B, and Mark couldn't remember exactly what he was in but mentioned F#.
Good Call on that. That makes complete sense actually. I edited my list justly. Marks tuning was confirmed in an interview that was posted on Ultimate Guitar. When asked what tunings he used and mentioned B F# C# F# B D. Since we know that This Side of Fates lowest note is a B, coupled with the fact that he mentioned earlier before the release that their was a really crazy tuning as well, I can make a reasonable assumption that B F# C# F# B D is the tuning that was used.