Alter Bridge/Creed/Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
Kreuger
White Knuckled

Re: Alter Bridge/Creed/Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List

Post by Kreuger »

Jhenrid wrote:
Kreuger wrote:Just watched a live video where they played Native Son, Rise Today and In the Deep and Myles used the same guitar for all 3, presumably Drop C#
Myles actually retunes his guitars a bit so it makes it harder to judge based on him
I'm pretty sure there was no tuning between these songs.

Judging by the way he describes the tuning for I'm the Deep, it's likely AGCFAD, maybe all a half step higher.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

Kreuger wrote:
Jhenrid wrote:
Kreuger wrote:Just watched a live video where they played Native Son, Rise Today and In the Deep and Myles used the same guitar for all 3, presumably Drop C#
Myles actually retunes his guitars a bit so it makes it harder to judge based on him
I'm pretty sure there was no tuning between these songs.

Judging by the way he describes the tuning for I'm the Deep, it's likely AGCFAD, maybe all a half step higher.
For Myles that sounds right but as he stated him and Mark are in different tunings on this song. By the way I'm assuming your talking about Myles using the black tele which he also uses on cry of achilles and ghost which are all in different tunings. Either he's retuning or playing differently than the albums.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Yes the black Tele. Cry of Achilles is a half step down so it wouldn't be a stretch for him to drop the D# to a C# as needed. But they both use an open tuning for Ghosts as far as I know.
Scott Stapp:

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

So I did a thing over Christmas and retuned one of my guitars to G# standard and was able to recreate "In the deep" as Mark plays it live so I'm definitely going with that tuning for Mark.

In London at the guitar clinic I asked Mark about Indoctrination and what version of Drop A# he was using (whether it was a la Come to life/Broken wings etc or Tore My Heart out) and he said actually it's in standard tuned all the way down to A#... tried that on my down-tuned guitar and it works but it's so unnecessary... :facepalm

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Interesting to hear that. Have any of you guys listened to Scott's new album? Trying to figure out the tunings there.

Edit: I tried playing Indoctrination in the Broken Wings tuning and it definitely sounds a bit off.
Scott Stapp:

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

I'm going to retract one of my earlier posts in this thread and go back to saying WTS is played in D# Standard and not n Drop C# --- during the bridge there is the droning low D# note and also during Mark's solo there is a distinct low D# note following a bunch of notes around the 12th-15th frets; much easier to hit with an open D# string after all the fretting up high.

gmetzger
Brand New Start

Post by gmetzger »

Hey everyone. Haven't seen anyone discussing Last Rites in here, what are people's guesses for the tuning? I've seen D# Standard using the whammy bar and Drop C# using bends.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

gmetzger wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:04 am Hey everyone. Haven't seen anyone discussing Last Rites in here, what are people's guesses for the tuning? I've seen D# Standard using the whammy bar and Drop C# using bends.
Eb Standard is my guess
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

gmetzger
Brand New Start

Post by gmetzger »

There are a couple of songs where Myles is in a different tuning than Mark.

For Coming Home and This Side of Fate Myles is BADGBE
On Ghost of Days Gone By, Words Darker Than Their Wings, and You Will Be Remembered Myles is Drop C#.

Also for Tremonti Erock is in D Standard for As the Silence Becomes Me.

Out of the songs that they have played live off of the new album here are the tunings:

In the Deep (Mark: G# C# F# B D# G# / Myles: C# G# C# F# A# D#)
Godspeed (D# G# C# F# A# D#)
Native Son (C# G# C# F# A# D#)
Take the Crown (C# G# C# F# A# D#)
Indoctrination (Mark: A# D# G# C# F A# / Myles: A# G# C# F# A# D#)
Pay No Mind (C# G# C# F# A# D#)
Forever Falling (Mark: C# F# B E G# C# / Myles: C# G# C# F# A# D#)
Dying Light (C# F# C# F# A# C#)

For Dying Light Myles might be in the minor version of that tuning. And I know this has been debated before and Mark has said for Words Darker, he is in Open F#m, but if you watch the RAH live video you can see his fingering and it is definitely F#sus2.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Any thoughts on which open tuning Myles used for In Stride?
Scott Stapp:

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Kreuger wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:43 pm Any thoughts on which open tuning Myles used for In Stride?
Sounds like a D Major tuning. Now I wouldn't know what exactly the strings are tuned to because I never play in open tunings, but I'm gonna guess D A D F# A D
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

maximzub wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:47 pm
Kreuger wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:43 pm Any thoughts on which open tuning Myles used for In Stride?
Sounds like a D Major tuning. Now I wouldn't know what exactly the strings are tuned to because I never play in open tunings, but I'm gonna guess D A D F# A D
You sre correct! Someone asked Myles on an instagram post and he replied!
Scott Stapp:

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

SchwiizVT12 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:28 am So I did a thing over Christmas and retuned one of my guitars to G# standard and was able to recreate "In the deep" as Mark plays it live so I'm definitely going with that tuning for Mark.

In London at the guitar clinic I asked Mark about Indoctrination and what version of Drop A# he was using (whether it was a la Come to life/Broken wings etc or Tore My Heart out) and he said actually it's in standard tuned all the way down to A#... tried that on my down-tuned guitar and it works but it's so unnecessary... :facepalm
I just finished a guitar pro tab for this and posted it at UG (also have Native Son: definitely a Drop Db song):

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/al ... ro-3592310

For Indoctrination, I actually included both a Bb/A# standard transcription and a Drop Bb version. The recording has a bunch of power chords you can't really play in the Drop Bb version, so it definitely is Bb standard (I thought it was a 7-string at first, but the chords in the bridge would be really awkward on a 7-string). I think someone here said Myles played this live in Drop Bb (but what riffs did he play?). Someone posting in comments at UG insisted that they went into the Walk the Sky sessions with a lot of material separately written by Myles and Mark, and that Myles had written this song.

gmetzger
Brand New Start

Post by gmetzger »

So unfortunately Indoctrination never got played live during an actual set (touring got cut off before that happened); however, they played it during a sound check, and the only clip is this very zoomed out video Clint Lowery posted on his Instagram story. You can see Myles is using his Drop A# guitar and Mark is using his Baritone.

https://youtu.be/-Ji9NKkuTKw

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

I'm not familiar with their guitars. What is Mark's Baritone guitar and how is usually tuned? In any case, it really has to be A# standard just based on the notes played (assuming it's not a 7-string or some really strange tuning).

Much more challenging is In The Deep. I'm going to try my hand at a transcription of that next using G# standard as you suggested.

Has anyone here thought much about bass guitar tuning? I just got finished copying the master tuning list into an excel spreadsheet and adding a bunch of info. You can sort by album and track number and tunings are grouped so that you'll see all of the Standards together (they're noted as standard, standard (-1)). I also made columns for each string showing the letter and columns showing HOW to get the tuning (mostly useful for the weird open tunings). I'll post a link but I want to clean it up first.

I'm trying to also add bass tuning to the sheet, but I still have a lot of questions about that. For most tunings the bass tuning is pretty obvious, but I'm not sure about open tunings and very low tunings. If the guitars low string drops to B or just under, then the bassist plays tunes down only so the 5th string matches. But what about when the guitar is dropped to C? I'd be tempted to just tighten a standard 5-string bass half a step and use the 5th string for the C.

gmetzger
Brand New Start

Post by gmetzger »

Mark has never had a consistent tuning for Baritone seeing as he only brings one out on the road.

Here is a tab of In the Deep I made: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/al ... bs-3260351

AFAIK Brian has 4 Bass tunings: B D A D G, A# C# G# C# F#, A C G C F, G# C# G# C# F#

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

I saw your in the deep tab several weeks ago. I don’t think I understood the tuning at the time. I tried looking up “G# standard” and found something unrelated to Alter Bridge suggesting you need to change to thinner strings and tune UP 2 whole steps. So I tried just dropping a half step and playing from the 5th string. However, now I see you meant to tune down 4 whole steps. You should clarify that in your tab!

Those bass tunings... the first three are just Drop D, Drop D (-1) and Drop D (-2). The last is Drop D (-1) with the 5th string dropped another whole step as well (I guess that’s needed to reach the G#0s in Show Me a Leader and In the Deep).

So Brian never plays in standard then? Does that also apply to the early Creed albums? They did have mostly Drop D songs, but there have always been some in standard. If this is right I’ll need to reconfigure my Indoctrination bass line for Drop D (-1) instead of Standard (-1).

Of course, the Tremonti bass players would possibly have entirely different tuning philosophies. There are a few songs in standard (-4) ... wonder what they do for those.

Thanks in any case!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Kreuger wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:11 am
maximzub wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:47 pm
You are correct! Someone asked Myles on an instagram post and he replied!
I saw that! Believe it or not, I've only heard about 30 seconds of the song, but I already guessed the tuning right!

P.S. I thought Myles said he never responds to Instagram comments?
gmetzger wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:24 pm On Ghost Of Days Gone By, Words Darker Than Their Wings, and You Will Be Remembered Myles is Drop C#.
I can confirm Ghost Of Days Gone By and Words Darker Than Their Wings, since for those songs Myles plays the orange PRS with the Les Paul shape, which is his Drop C# guitar. I have not heard You Will Be Remembered yet.
Jhenrid wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:21 am By the way I'm assuming your talking about Myles using the black tele which he also uses on Cry Of Achilles and Ghost Of Days Gone By which are all in different tunings. Either he's retuning or playing differently than the albums.
It's easy enough for him to tune the E string up from C# to Eb for Cry Of Achilles, and it seems like we concluded that Ghost Of Days Gone By is in Drop C# for Myles.

////////////////////////////

I'm going to try my hand at guessing the tunings for the songs I've heard from Walk The Sky. If I say a tuning that we've already established, don't mind it. I'm just confirming what seems to be popular opinion.

Wouldn't You Rather - Drop C. Whenever they play it live, they go straight from that song into Isolation, which is in Drop C.
In The Deep - Myles is in Drop C# because he plays the Drop C# Telecaster live. However, there's an obvious low G#, so Mark could be in any weird tuning.
Godspeed - Standard Eb. There are a few times when it sounds like they're playing a low B, but it's probably an illusion from playing a C (concert B) power chord with low G (concert F#) added.
Native Son - Drop C#.
Take The Crown - Drop C#.
Pay No Mind - Drop C#.
Forever Falling - It's obvious that there are low C# notes all over the song, but we haven't established whether it's Drop C# or Standard C#. Based on live performances, it seems like Mark is playing a droning E note in the intro, which suggests Standard C#. Also, he's playing power chord shapes that match with a standard tuning. Myles is playing the Drop C# Telecaster again, so he must be in Drop C#.
Clear Horizon - Standard D.
Walking On The Sky - Someone mentioned hearing a droning Eb note during the guitar solo. It's actually an F note I think. I also hear low D notes in the chorus, but that also may be an illusion like it is in Godspeed. I'm going to agree for now that it's in Standard Eb.
Dying Light - There's a droning F# in the intro, which is played by Myles. I'm going to go with Open F# minor, but I don't know what the B string is tuned to.

I wish they didn't have to play in a lot of weird tunings.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

maximzub wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:39 am In The Deep - Myles is in Drop C# because he plays the Drop C# Telecaster live. However, there's an obvious low G#, so Mark could be in any weird tuning.
I think all of your guesses agree with the consensus except In the Deep. Everyone seems to agree that Dying Light is in either Open F# major or minor (that's Open G or Gm down a half step) so only the B string is in question just as you said.

For in the Deep there is an interview exchange about the song:
Mark - "In the deep and Indoctrination. are the two lowest-tuned songs on the album.

Myles - when I found the course of in the deep, I no longer knew how to proceed in the verse. Then I decided to give Mark's galloping rhythm a try.

Mark - He gets away with it, but when I do it, everyone looks at me like I'm crazy.

Myles - It didn't sound heavy enough on the fifth string, so I tuned the sixth string of my telecaster to A, but one octave lower. That is also such a track on which we are tuned differently, Mark plays there in standard mood. The interesting thing about the intro and outro solo that I play there is that it was actually a sung chorus, but I play it on guitar because I found another, better chorus."
Where Myles says that Mark is in "standard" he may just mean "standard shape" (all strings dropped equally). With the low G# in the song, that suggests Mark is in G# standard. When Myles said his fifth string wasn't low enough and he tuned his sixth to A one octave lower, I suppose he was in Eb standard so that his A would be G#. That would make the album tunings:

Mark: -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8
Myles: -8 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

If Myles could just ignore the 6th string live because he lets Mark play the rhythm parts, then the Drop C# guitar makes sense.

For Bass if what gmetzger said is accurate then it must be: -3 -3 -1 -1 -1

If Brian does play other tunings, then -3 -1 -1 -1 -1 would also be an option.

I'll try my guitar pro tab both ways and see if one makes more sense than the other.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

I've done the intro of In the Deep. So far so good:

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/user/t ... OIeXsT12zd