Got a PRS Archon - Clips Inside

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
PiggySmallz
TABN.com Citizen

Got a PRS Archon - Clips Inside

Post by PiggySmallz »

When AB was in town last April, I asked Mark during the guitar session if he could please isolate the Archon so I could hear it. He was nice enough to do that and wow was I blown away. We spoke for a bit after that, and before you know it I was on the phone with Tim from Fret 12 (who is an awesome guy as well!) and got one ordered.

I had loved the Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier tone for years. I never thought I'd be able to part with mine...until now. Anyway, here's a quick shot of my rig and a couple my guitars.

Here is a clip someone else from the Guitar Session uploaded of Mark speaking about the Archon:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204112351597824

Here are my clips. The dirty channel clipped pretty bad so it sounds distorted and as though there was a blanket over the cabinet. I'll get a better one up soon. There is no compression and no EQ on any of the recordings. What you hear is exactly what is coming out of the cab...aside from the lead channel. Its a lot more crisp and clear in the room.

https://soundcloud.com/jpigz/prs-archon-clean

https://soundcloud.com/jpigz/prs-archon-dirty

edit: Anyone know if I can embed the soundcloud clips?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: Got a PRS Archon - Clips Inside

Post by Andy92 »

Nice! It's a great sounding amp. I think I like the clean channel a little more than the dirty channel. I'd be interested to hear another dirty channel clip without the clipping to get a better idea of it.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Ugh, if only I had one of these. Dream amp.

Sounds good! love those clean tones.
Thanks Timo!

PiggySmallz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PiggySmallz »

Thanks guys!

The lead channel is just as good as the clean channel! I just have to get it mic'd up and recorded properly. Hopefully sometime this week...any specific riffs you want to hear?

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Fortress bridge, Waters Rising bridge, maybe blackbird pre chorus and chorus?
Thanks Timo!

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Achilles or Addicted to Pain main riff, looking forward to hearing some more clips :cheers

EDIT: Nevermind about Achilles, didn't notice at first you already played it :facepalm lol sounds good
Last edited by AHart96 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Some big beefy chords and palm mutes on this amp would sound massive.

I saw Misha Monsoors demo of this amp as well, its so diverse.

does it seem like the amp has got a lot of clarity on the dirty channel? like when you play a chord, can you hear all the notes without it sounding all mushed together?
Thanks Timo!

PiggySmallz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PiggySmallz »

austinjhnsn wrote:Some big beefy chords and palm mutes on this amp would sound massive.

I saw Misha Monsoors demo of this amp as well, its so diverse.

does it seem like the amp has got a lot of clarity on the dirty channel? like when you play a chord, can you hear all the notes without it sounding all mushed together?
You can, every note rings out. Its got so much gain on tap too. My mesa sounds unfocused compared to the Archon. The archon's got this depth knob on it that can dial in some additional low end without sounding like bass. It's hard to explain.

The bright switches on the channels really help tighten things up too. If I flip the bright switch on the dirty channel it sounds like I get a bit more mids which would help cut through a mix. It's an addition of mids, without making your ears bleed. I can't describe it, but I really don't know if I'll be holding onto the Mesa much longer. This Archon really is an incredible amp. Misha's tone is similar to what I hear in the room, I feel like I don't need an overdrive with it. With a Mesa, my tone is all over the place without one.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Thanks for that. Sounds like a very well made amp. I've always had the issue with an amp sounding either too bright or way too muddy. I feel like this amp is perfect middle ground, and then some. if only i could own one. Misha's tone on Breeze(song/demo for his solo project) is tight, hope he uses the amp on the upcoming Periphery album.
Thanks Timo!

PiggySmallz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PiggySmallz »

Yeah, I really hope he releases the whole song once he finishes the solo on the rerecording of it. The amp seriously blew me away when I fired it up for the first time. I had heard Marks in person, but even in my bedroom it sounds incredible. Pretty much everything I've been looking for in an amp for a LONG time haha

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

I would love it if you did Solace (B side for One day remains)

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

Piggy, awesome demo job on the Archon! sent you a follow on SC thru my band ;) After hearing a few different demos on this amp I immediately made the decision that I will eventually buy this amp (I had my eye on the Bogner Uberschall for the longest time, but that clean channel on the Archon pushes it over the top) You using it on the 50w setting since it's in your bedroom? I would trade my Peavey XXX for this in a heartbeat.

PiggySmallz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PiggySmallz »

AllC392Was wrote:I would love it if you did Solace (B side for One day remains)
All requests will be fulfilled haha. They are all tabbed out already so it takes care of a lot of the work for me.
HellRazor1281 wrote:Piggy, awesome demo job on the Archon! sent you a follow on SC thru my band ;) After hearing a few different demos on this amp I immediately made the decision that I will eventually buy this amp (I had my eye on the Bogner Uberschall for the longest time, but that clean channel on the Archon pushes it over the top) You using it on the 50w setting since it's in your bedroom? I would trade my Peavey XXX for this in a heartbeat.
Thanks! This amp is killer, clean tones are unreal as is lead channel. I'd recommend it to every single guitar player I know, assuming they are after the same tones as us. In those clips it was in 50w mode, which is indeed a little quieter. The 100w mode has more headroom and sounds killer as well. I go back and forth between the two depending on what I want out of it. On the 50w mode, the instructions say to switch to 4ohm if plugging into an 8ohm cab, which I did. Just have to remember to adjust the impedance depending on which output mode you're using.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

If you're taking requests, I'd like to hear the opening riff of Unholy Confessions through it. If you don't like Avenged Sevenfold it's no big deal though.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

PiggySmallz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PiggySmallz »

Andy92 wrote:If you're taking requests, I'd like to hear the opening riff of Unholy Confessions through it. If you don't like Avenged Sevenfold it's no big deal though.
I can do that, I used to be a bigger fan of A7X, haven't been into them as much lately. I'll probably upload a video/audio to youtube and the audio to sound cloud. Youtube has been blocking a lot of my videos lately for copyright.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

youtubes copyright policy is absolutely mental
Thanks Timo!

PiggySmallz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PiggySmallz »