Amps & Other Guitar Gear

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Amps & Other Guitar Gear

Post by Jhenrid »

Yeah I saw the ads for those, they have 3 different versions. I think each is modeled after a different amp.

Scarface
White Knuckled

Post by Scarface »

Andy92 wrote:Ran across this pedal the other day and thought it seemed interesting.

I know Mark's used an Uberschall for a number of years now. The pedal's $250, but it seems to be built with similar circuitry as the high gain channel of the Uberschall. Kind of interested to try one out and see how it sounds.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/wtjOTmG6Peo[/youtube]

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Anyone around here have a Line 6 POD? Looking to ask some things about it. (mainly the HD500)
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

What I'm playing:

PRS Tremonti SE White (modded)
USA SC245 pickups
White toggle switch
White pickup rings

Mesa Boogie DC-10 Dual Caliber Amp Head

Marshall 1960 Vintage Slack Cab Speaker

Planet Waves tuner

Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb Pedal

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

Scarface wrote:
Andy92 wrote:Ran across this pedal the other day and thought it seemed interesting.

I know Mark's used an Uberschall for a number of years now. The pedal's $250, but it seems to be built with similar circuitry as the high gain channel of the Uberschall. Kind of interested to try one out and see how it sounds.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/wtjOTmG6Peo[/youtube]
WANT. Mark's always tinkering with different amp sounds and he always has at least two or three (or more depending on how often he blows amps out) on the road. From his DVD he was using the Mesa Triple Rec in conjunction with the Bogner Uberschall to balance out his guitar tone and get that massive wall of sound that he's known for. I'm wondering if you can get the same or similar sound with this pedal. The tone on that pedal is silky smooth and beastly on the gain. Would be a perfect compliment to my gear since I mostly play lower and drop tunings.

BTW, @ Jim, how much does that Planet Waves tuner pedal cost? I need to upgrade since the band I'm auditioning for plays in Drop C, and the Korg I have is specifically geared for standard tuning.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Andy92 wrote: I actually started on acoustic and fell in love with the more singer/songwriter side of music. I play my electric clean most of the time as well. The music I enjoy playing doesn't really match up with what I listen to the most.
Same boat here. I was in a heavy electric band for a few years (we never went anywhere but it was fun), but when that fizzled out, I concentrated more on my own singing and acoustic playing. It's been about a year and a half of practice and getting some stuff down, but I'm starting to get out and get some experience playing in live settings, been to a couple of open mics and booked for a show next month. Really enjoying it!

But my question, related to this... does anyone have any experience with acoustic amps? I'm looking for something small, almost practice-y but enough to play small gigs with while dialing in a good rich acoustic tone. I could take my small PA with me, but then anywhere I play will have a PA I can direct connect to anyway. I'm thinking of trying to sell off or trade one of my electrics (an Epiphone G-310) since I don't really play much electric these days, to make room for a good solid acoustic amp. Just need to find the right one at the right price (maybe $100-$150, maybe a bit more if the right thing jumps out).
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

I know nothing of acoustic amps, but I'd start by asking around about Fender or a similar make of amp. They've got to have acoustic based amps somewhere.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... -combo-amp

I really like the look of this, especially since I could do the guitar and vocals both through it, but I'm a little wary of just buying something like that online without getting to test it out first. And I'm miles from the nearest decent music store (got a few small ones locally but it'd be a needle in a haystack if I were to find one of these there).

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

TenaciousBe wrote:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... -combo-amp

I really like the look of this, especially since I could do the guitar and vocals both through it, but I'm a little wary of just buying something like that online without getting to test it out first. And I'm miles from the nearest decent music store (got a few small ones locally but it'd be a needle in a haystack if I were to find one of these there).
Actually, I'd give the small, mom & pop boutique shop a chance, there are better odds they'll have that amp than a big conglomerate store like GC or SA. You'd be surprised what you find, especially if the music shop specializes in guitars. Although GC does have an entire section devoted to acoustic guitars, perhaps those amps might be there. Most combo amps do have an input for a microphone though. I know my old POS Crate GX212 has one.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Is your guitar an acoustic-electric, Brian? Because if you have the preamp on board, you might be just as well off buying a powered wedge speaker. I'd at least try some out at a music shop and compare the sound to acoustic amps. But if you get a decent wedge, it'll be a more versatile piece of equipment anyways.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

^^ It is (or, I guess, they are.. have 2 acoustic-electrics and one acoustic-electric bass). Hmm. Got any examples of the powered wedge?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Something like this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... or-speaker

It's a speaker with a power amp built into it. If you have a preamp you can just run straight into it, and the power amp will amplify the signal through the speaker. I've never actually used one, but I know guys who gig with acoustics tend to use them. If music stores around have them, I'd suggest trying them out.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Ohh okay, I gotcha. I always thought those were just made to be monitors off of the sound board. Cool :)

Jack_The_Riffer
Bought The CDs

Post by Jack_The_Riffer »

Here's my rig.. I play in metal bands but I've just started something along the lines of the Black Keys and I'm thinking about saving up for a Gibson Firebird Reverse.

Guitars:

- PRS Tremonti (Grey black, 2008)
- Schecter C1 Hellraiser
- Washburn something or other

Amps:

- Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 100W Head
- Mesa Boogie 4x12 Rectifier Cab
- Line 6/Bogner Spider Valve 2x12 Combo amp

Pedal Board:

- Maxon OD808 Vintage Overdrive
- Keeley Compressor
- Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
- Boss Noise Surpressor
- Boss Tuner

Harry©
Bought The CDs

Post by Harry© »

I don't use amps , I sold mine last year after not using it for 2 years?
I use Guitar Rig 5 and a set of KRK RP6 monitor speakers.
I never plan to play live, ever....never have never will.
For what it's worth this is my guitar....
[youtube]http://youtu.be/snftmZfCMZA[/youtube]

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Jack_The_Riffer wrote:Amps:

I have that same Spidervalve 212. It's done me well, for what I needed it for. Haven't really played much of anything electric in the last couple years now, so it just kinda sits collecting dust. But it always did what I needed it to (which wasn't a whole lot, just some nice chunky hard rock / metal-ish distortion). Might have to dive deeper one of these days and see what else it can really do.

Scarface
White Knuckled

Post by Scarface »

Got a new amp for my 18th birthday in April. A Fender Mustang II. I have to say, for the price (got it used for $120, but it looked and felt totally new) it sounds great, even on my cheap Silvertone Strat. The crunchy tones are pretty good (I'm talking blues crunch). The dirty/rock/metal tones are decent. I downloaded a couple of presets onto the amp and I really like this one that is supposed to sound like the comfortably numb solo tone. I tweaked that a little bit to my complete liking and it is now my go-to lead tone. The clean tones...oh the cleans...It's a fender, that should come as no surprise. The cleans are definitely the best sounds that can come out of this amp. My go-to preset is a custom preset I made: just simply go to the '65 Twin Reverb amp model and I added a little bit more reverb and some delay. Switch to my neck pick-up and it sounds amazing, especially worth what I spent, even the retail price ($200). That preset I like to use for normal rhythm (finger-picking/strumming/arpeggiating chords) and for nice ambient lead stuff.

Jack_The_Riffer
Bought The CDs

Post by Jack_The_Riffer »

TenaciousBe wrote:
Jack_The_Riffer wrote:Amps:

I have that same Spidervalve 212. It's done me well, for what I needed it for. Haven't really played much of anything electric in the last couple years now, so it just kinda sits collecting dust. But it always did what I needed it to (which wasn't a whole lot, just some nice chunky hard rock / metal-ish distortion). Might have to dive deeper one of these days and see what else it can really do.
Yeah I actually got really lucky with mine.. I had to sell a lot of stuff to buy the Boogie so I had to use it for practicing too (way too loud for it to sound nice). My uncle recently gave up on playing electic guitar so he offered me it for £50. BARGAIN!

It's so good for practcing in the house and writing with your band.

tc2oo4
Brand New Start

Post by tc2oo4 »

Ive just sold my JSX head and bought an Axe Fx 2.

Cant be dealing with lugging all that gear around! its all in one box now!

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

I'm replacing the power tubes in my Peavey XXX for the first time, ever. Long overdue. Gonna attempt to do it myself, there's tons of vids out there about biasing the tubes properly, so I figure, I'm interested in learning how to do this, it's fairly quick and easy as long as you're careful, why not? Anybody have experience on this procedure?