Amps & Other Guitar Gear

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: Amps & Other Guitar Gear

Post by Andy92 »

I always thought the Series One seemed like a nice amp. Never had the chance to try one of those in person.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

It's very nice has a good range of sounds, it absolutely requires a boost through the front to do proper metal though. The 45 only has 4 channels (Bright Clean, Warm Clean, Crunch, Super Crunch) where as the more powerful heads also have extra OD1 & OD2 channels with more gain on tap.

I keep it because it can output an enormous amount of low end (the EQ is very powerful) and it's a good counterpoint to the 1x12 Rectoverb combo that gives me that more cutting top/higher midrange sound.

Bloody heavy though.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Crumbso wrote:Bloody heavy though.
:lol That’s usually in my top 3 questions with music gear. Can my back handle it lol

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Andy92 wrote:
Crumbso wrote:Bloody heavy though.
:lol That’s usually in my top 3 questions with music gear. Can my back handle it lol
Tell me about it! I've switched to using a trolley to cart them about and other than gigs and rehearsals, they never come out my car anymore.

I wish that PRS would make a MT15 combo. I still wanna try the Archon 25 too. Had plenty of Mesas over the years but never tried a PRS amp.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I forgot to post this back in the summer, but I picked up a PRS Sonzera 50 combo. I love it. Best amp I've owned (crunch is better than my Hughes and Kettner). Although I love the sound of my Timmons overdrive in front of the clean channel.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Updated...

Guitars:
LTD EC 1000 ASB
PRS Custom 24 se

Amps:
PRS Sonzera 50 combo
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 20 deluxe

Pedals:
JHS Andy Timmons
TC Polytuner
TC Flashback
TC Corona Chorus
TC Hall of Fame Reverb
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Updated. New acquisitions are underlined.

GUITARS:
PRS Brent Mason Sig
Jericho Edge 6 + Bareknuckle Bootcamp Pickups (for br00tz)

AMPS:
Mesa Mark V 35 1x12 Combo
Blackstar Series One 45 2x12 Combo
[THE ABOVE BOTH USED IN STEREO FOR GIGGING]
Blackstar HT1 1x8 Combo (for home use)

RECORDING & EFFECTS:
Line 6 Helix Floor (stays at home for recording)
TC Electronic G System (for live use but currently just trialling it.... not sure I like it)

Two new updates to the gear now. The NF3 wasn't doing it for me but I love me a PRS strat copy so I went for a Brent Mason sig as I managed to find a new/old stock one. I also found a Mark V combo for the same price as my rectoverb so I HAD to jump on that one.

prslover
TABN.com Citizen

Post by prslover »

Guitars:
2005 PRS Custom 22 Whale Blue no trem Bridge Pickup Tremonti, Neck pickup Stock.
2007 Taylor 614 CE
Amps:
Mesa Bookie 15 watt Subway Rocket
PRS Tremonti MT 15, use marshall speaker as slave
Fishman Loudbox w/bluetooth and Battery power
Pedals/effects:
Boss Ns-2
Boss BS-2
Boss DS-1
Boss PS-2
Boss EQ-7
Boss TU-12H
Morley Tremonti Wah
TC Electronics Loop Station

Have other pedals but this is my current rig

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

I'm really starting to research a new, better amp rig. I've got a couple of cheap-o combo amps, my Samick SGA30 I've had for ten years... I think it's about time I upgrade, looking at a head/cab setup.

The Orange Micro Dark amp head has got my attention. So beefy for such a tiny box.

As for a cab, I'm not so sure... I love the look of an Epiphone Triggerman cabinet but can't find much else about it. Looks vintage and seems to be a bit hard to find, maybe discontinued... Other than that, as bad of a name they get, considered cheap, I've never seen or had anything wrong with Behringer gear. Maybe a 4x12 Ultrastack. Simple and reliable.

I've still got some homework to do...

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

UninvitedZero wrote:I'm really starting to research a new, better amp rig. I've got a couple of cheap-o combo amps, my Samick SGA30 I've had for ten years... I think it's about time I upgrade, looking at a head/cab setup.

The Orange Micro Dark amp head has got my attention. So beefy for such a tiny box.

As for a cab, I'm not so sure... I love the look of an Epiphone Triggerman cabinet but can't find much else about it. Looks vintage and seems to be a bit hard to find, maybe discontinued... Other than that, as bad of a name they get, considered cheap, I've never seen or had anything wrong with Behringer gear. Maybe a 4x12 Ultrastack. Simple and reliable.

I've still got some homework to do...
For home use, I seriously suggest the Blackstar Studio 10 KT88. I have its predecessor, the Series One 10 AE, and it's so damn versatile and sounds way bigger than the cab should let it sound. Put it through a larger cab and it's monstrous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiDZoP-WsKQ

It's my home practice amp but it's also used as part of my live rig, alongside its big brother the Series One 45 212 combo I use.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Recently I have obtainted both the MT15 and an EVH Wolfgang Special Sassafras Limited Edition! I'm a happy rocker right now.

Last edited by Crumbso on Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

That guitar is sick.

Enjoy! I have an MT15 and it’s nice. It gets pretty loud so I mostly play it through a Captor X load box using a Celestion V30 IR now. Still have the external cab that I crank up on occasion but it’s not super family friendly volume levels. :lol

The Captor X is a slick piece of equipment. The IR’s sound pretty impressive and it’s an easy way to do mic-less recording that doesn’t sound too digitized.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Andy92 wrote:That guitar is sick.

Enjoy! I have an MT15 and it’s nice. It gets pretty loud so I mostly play it through a Captor X load box using a Celestion V30 IR now. Still have the external cab that I crank up on occasion but it’s not super family friendly volume levels. :lol

The Captor X is a slick piece of equipment. The IR’s sound pretty impressive and it’s an easy way to do mic-less recording that doesn’t sound too digitized.
I've wanted a Captor or a Torpedo for a while. Seems like a great way to use real amps at home. I usually use valve amps for live work but I've only had the MT15 for a couple of weeks and we're in lockdown here in the UK.... and yeah the MT15 is crazy loud and doesn't sound all that amazing at low volume. I can tell there is a beast of an amp in there though.

Have you got any recordings of your amp through the Captor?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Crumbso wrote:
Andy92 wrote:That guitar is sick.

I've wanted a Captor or a Torpedo for a while. Seems like a great way to use real amps at home. I usually use valve amps for live work but I've only had the MT15 for a couple of weeks and we're in lockdown here in the UK.... and yeah the MT15 is crazy loud and doesn't sound all that amazing at low volume. I can tell there is a beast of an amp in there though.

Have you got any recordings of your amp through the Captor?
I haven’t actively recorded with it yet (just play through my headphones currently) but it sounds really good. The key to it is to get some solid IR’s. The simulated cabs that come with it sound pretty digital to me, but if you grab some IR’s from Celestion Digital or a similar company, those sound pretty amazing in comparison.

I need to get a couple more pieces of equipment to get a solid recording setup going. If you look up the Captor X on YouTube you can find some demo videos. I can try to put a short clip together sometime but in the short term I’d have to grab the audio from the headphone out instead of the XLR out since I don’t have an interface yet.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Ah cool. Yeah, getting an interface can be tough with all the choices out there. I went for a Focusrite in the end. The Scarlett range is supposed to be pretty good. I think the Captor also comes with the 'wall of sound' plugin where you have more control over the cab sound.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: Amps & Other Guitar Gearhwb

Post by Andy92 »

I’ve been looking at getting one of the Scarlett interfaces. They aren’t too expensive and they get solid reviews.

I haven’t used the Wall of Sound plug-in yet but it’s handy for recording a dry signal and adding different cabs to the recording later to tweak it to the one you like most. So far I’ve just been playing around with some different cab/speaker combos. I bought an IR pack that comes with a bunch of different cab/mic/speaker combos on Mesa, Diezel, and Orange cabs. The sounds I’ve gotten now in my favorite presets are pretty good but you can mix and match this stuff forever lol. So I could see Wall of Sound being really useful when actually recording.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I've resolved to go entirely pedalboard-based for my gigs, including power amp and preamps. I've got the board and I've got the pedals and the layout I want to use.

Thing is, it involves a patch bay, midi-loop switcher and two power supplies underneath the board to make it all work. Buying pre-made patch cables would probably be totally financially ruinous. Can anyone recommend how they have gone about making or getting custom made patch cables for a board?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Crumbso wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:26 am Can anyone recommend how they have gone about making or getting custom made patch cables for a board?
I don’t get custom made ones but I’ve had a lot of success with various lengths of this Ernie Ball brand:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... multi-pack

You can buy multipacks like this or individual ones. I like them because they’re super flexible since they’re ribbon style. Even if a cable you use is a little longer than needed, it’s flexible enough to tuck underneath the board easily enough.

I linked Sweetwater because I tend to use them a lot, but I’m sure you could find them from a different vendor for better shipping rates where you’re at.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Andy92 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:32 pm
Crumbso wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:26 am Can anyone recommend how they have gone about making or getting custom made patch cables for a board?
I don’t get custom made ones but I’ve had a lot of success with various lengths of this Ernie Ball brand:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... multi-pack

You can buy multipacks like this or individual ones. I like them because they’re super flexible since they’re ribbon style. Even if a cable you use is a little longer than needed, it’s flexible enough to tuck underneath the board easily enough.

I linked Sweetwater because I tend to use them a lot, but I’m sure you could find them from a different vendor for better shipping rates where you’re at.
Thanks. I think that part of my issue is that I need specific lengths that have one end at a right angle and the other end completely straight. That seems very hard to find.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

My rig is:

Electrics:
2008 PRS Tremonti SE

Acoustics:
T-Burton Riverside
Samick GD-100SCE VS (with a Fisherman piezo pickup)

Basses:
Sterling Sub Ray 5 RRBS

Amps:
BOSS Katana MK II 50W

Pedals:
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
NUX Time Force Multi Digital Delay
Dunlop Crybaby

Recording/Interfaces:
Behringer U-Phoria UMC22
MOZOS MKIT-900PRO microphone
M-Station MIDI Keyboard