New PRS amp: The Archon

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

New PRS amp: The Archon

Post by mitch103 »

The newly unveiled high gain amp from PRS. Sounds pretty sick!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8GU9osUXoY
http://www.prsguitars.com/archon/

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Re: New PRS amp: The Archon

Post by austinjhnsn »

I WANT.
Thanks Timo!

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Same. I wonder how much they'll retail for.. my guess is in or above the $3000 range. I listened to all 8 of the audio samples at the bottom of the prs link and I love how mark has the heaviest dirty sample AND the prettiest clean sample!

prslover
TABN.com Citizen

Post by prslover »

That sounded good, Mesa better watch out or Marks gonna jump ship. Paul will pay Mark a lot to endorse it, provided Mark really likes it and wants to use it live. Though I don't see Mark ever abandoning his Fender Twin for cleans.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I don't think he's used the Twin for cleans on the last few albums? I could be wrong, but I don't think he has.

But Mark's mentioned before he's always switching up his rig, so he couldn't really justify a signature amp if a company offered him one. I can definitely see him trying this amp on albums, but he doesn't seem like the player that'd be content to limit his rig to one amp.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

prslover
TABN.com Citizen

Post by prslover »

Andy92 wrote:I don't think he's used the Twin for cleans on the last few albums? I could be wrong, but I don't think he has.

But Mark's mentioned before he's always switching up his rig, so he couldn't really justify a signature amp if a company offered him one. I can definitely see him trying this amp on albums, but he doesn't seem like the player that'd be content to limit his rig to one amp.
Ya I know what your saying, I don't think he would ever want to limit himself by signing an exclusive endorsement for Amps. With the PRS sig guitar its different because they are hands down the best guitars ever imo and I think Mark shares that opinion.

The Fender Twins have never left his live rig, maybe he used something else on the record though.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

He's used the Mesa from the start, this could become a staple as well? Probably not. I dont even know if he uses the bogner anymore...
Thanks Timo!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

He uses the Dual Rectifier and the Bogner to track rhythm stuff. He's used the Cornford on All I Was and Fortress. I can't remember if he used that solely for leads or if it's a rhythm amp too.

I'm not sure what he used for cleans on Fortress. I just remember hearing him say he just rolled back the guitar volume on the high gain amps for his clean tones on All I Was. That's what he did on New Way Out, Proof, etc. Although that album doesn't have any true clean guitar pieces. They all have a little grit to them.

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

I'm pretty sure Mark still uses his Fender Twins for his clean sound on the Fortress recordings. I know that's still part of his live rig. It was definitely different for his solo act but that's his baby where he can experiment a lot more.

If I had the money (or the credit, lol) and things progressed with my band to the point we'd have to, if not tour, travel a number of weekends during the summer, I would splurge on a Bogner Überschall for my distortion and get my hands on a Fender Twin combo for the clean stuff, I love the clean bluesy tone you get out of those amps.

What are the differences between the Cornford he's used more recently and the Überschall?

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

I would suppose just listen to the difference in his rhythm tone between All I Was and Alter Bridge records. You can definitely tell the difference. For example - Isolation vs. Giving Up or an even better example - One By One vs. All I Was. The cornford sounds like it has a bit more mid-range and maybe a fuller sound (and maybe less scooped) than the bogner/mesa boogie combo that mark used for the Alter Bridge albums

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I prefer his tone on Fortress. All I Was wasnt bad though. I really want this amp, though.
Thanks Timo!

Dayviewer
Isolated

Post by Dayviewer »

*PRS Announces new amp* - Hey everyone let's talk about Tremonti's rig!

GAH.

The amp sounds awesome! I read some really positive feedback from alot of people who tried it out as well it really seems to be that good. Heard it's under 2000 bucks as well and handwired in the US so that makes it really interesting for the price.
Formerly known as Benjami

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

It's priced a lot cheaper than I expected. About the price of a new Dual Rec. PRS usually charges tons for their amps, so seeing it under $2,000 was a decent surprise.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

To be honest I'm not blown away by the dirty tones in the audio samples. The amp almost sounds solid state, or like someone accidentally left a blanket over the cab while recording the clips.

The clean tones aren't bad. Mark's and Dustie's in particular were quite lovely.

Maybe I just need to hear this thing in person; I'm not sure how well online audio clips represent any amp's true sound.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

PRS has never made an amp with distortion that I personally love. This one is better, but I agree that I'm not overly impressed with the high gain sounds.