PRS Tremonti SE Custom vs. PRS Tremonti 2013

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

PRS Tremonti SE Custom vs. PRS Tremonti 2013

Post by HellRazor1281 »

Just curious if there are ppl on here who have played/owned both. Of course I want to spring for the US version simply because I want to be able to say I have a legit PRS guitar, but money is tight and my credit is basically fucked for another year so I can't really do that now. I own the original Tremonti SE, but I want to replace it with a guitar with a solid tremolo system and HATE HATE HATE Floyd Rose. (more specifically I hate the hassle of tuning with the system.) Tried a Tremonti SE Custom at Guitar Center and it feels good in my hands, but were I to purchase one and just replace the pups with the ones used on the US Tremonti, would it achieve a closer sound to the US by itself? Thoughts?

Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: PRS Tremonti SE Custom vs. PRS Tremonti 2013

Post by Crumbso »

I'd say so. I played both, albeit for a short time, and the real weak point of the SE was the pickups. I didn't really give the trem too much of a work out so I can't say how well it'd stay in tune.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

I haven't played the Tremonti se custom but I do have other se's with trems and they tend to be pretty good with staying in tune. You could do a swap and get locking tuners. I think that without getting the USA one, swapping pickups and maybe tuners and the Se will be great.

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

what would you recommend for locking tuners? Never really switched out or bought tuners before.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I've got a Chapman CAP-10 with non-locking grover tuners, a wilkinson trem & a tusq nut. You can abuse the wammy all day long and it never goes out of tune. I'd say that locking tuners are a pain in the arse and unnecessary. Just make sure everything is as high quality as possible.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Locking tuners are a bit of a pain, however the phase II/III locking tuners are amazing. So much easier and simpler than just regular locking tuners.. I would be a mistake the buy anything different IMO.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

I'll let you know what I think about the SE in about a month. Can't wait to finally get it after 2 years of saving
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

Here are some that can are direct drop-ins for the se's. Some brands come in different sizes so you may have to make new wholes but I've heard these fit the original spots.

http://www.warmoth.com/Schaller-Mini-Lo ... -C726.aspx

ESPImperium
Bought The CDs

Post by ESPImperium »

I have one of the SE Customs, and have replaced the SE245 stock pickups that it has for a Di Marzio Crunch Lab in the bridge (Ceramic Magnet/10.5k) and a PRS McCarty Bass (Alnico Magnet/8.5k) and its a massive improvement on what it has. The CL is much more high powered, much more compression but things still are clear and organic, the McCarty bass is like a PAF with a little fire under its arse, its much richer and much more clearer and less grainer on clean passages but also great for leads.

When replacing the pickups, do yourself a favour and replace the Alpha Pots for a quality CTS one for both volumes, and if you have the money or the need, push pull pots for coil tapping for the pickups if you need that in your SE Tremonti Custom, i dont so have just gone with CTS 500K volume pots. You will achive a closer sound, but i dont want a closer sound, i want the sound to be closer to what my ear is telling me it wants, and at the moment my ear is liking what it hears.

Apart from the mods, that are drop ins and will be easily taken in the routs, all i have done is Schaller strap locks as well. If you want to replace the tuners, Schaller M6 as they are the exact ones that PRS uses in a Korean version, but to be honest, the PRS branded ones are good enough. I have replaced them on my Mushok SE Baritone as the Schaller M6s were starting to get a bit of a knife edge on them and were heavier than the PRS ones causing a neck dive.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

I have a Tremonti SE with a pair of USA SC245 pickups in. It's one of the best sounding guitars my friends and I have heard. Through most amps it'll sound good, just helps i have a DC10 Mesa Boogie head to give them that extra kick.. It's my 4th PRS SE model as I keep going back to them for playability. I've had Gibson Les Pauls, USA PRS Standard 24's and an ESP in my time, and I always go back to the SE. I love mine now, it's fantastic and sounds just as good as a USA model with my setup

If money is a problem, go for an SE and customise it, you'll save yourself $1500 easily.

The one downfall to my SE now having used it for so long is my nut is starting to lose tension, if that makes sense? I need to replace it as it's not doing it's job as well as it used to!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Jim wrote:The one downfall to my SE now having used it for so long is my nut is starting to lose tension, if that makes sense? I need to replace it as it's not doing it's job as well as it used to!
I think the nut tends to be the poorest quality feature on the SE models because they're made out of plastic. When you go to replace it, try to get one made out of bone.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

I think you can get a replacement nut from PRS. I would double check with the forums there because a lot of the people there replace them.

prslover
TABN.com Citizen

Post by prslover »

Dude get a Custom 22, which are a little cheaper then the Tremonti SC. You can get a great used Custom 22 in just about any color you want for between 1500-1800.
Then do what I did and buy the Tremonti Pickups and install them in your Custom 22 .

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Oh yeah i personally will go for a bone nut, eventually. When I play more often and care more, right now I'm a very typical bedroom guitarist

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/gjOEk18jFjI[/youtube]
VERY quick video of me testing out my SE that I got today. Will have a full demo/review up in a few days and will give my complete impressions of the guitar. Loving it so far!
Rock Never Dies

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

scale? ^

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Well it's SUPPOSED to be the final legato run in the You Waste Your Time solo, don't know if I actually played it correct
Rock Never Dies

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Here's a rough demo of the SE. Sorry for the crappy recording, straight from an iPhone 3. And sorry for the sloppy playing, was in a rush to get it done. Didn't turn out to bad I guess
[youtube]http://youtu.be/oOwr_aGKX2g[/youtube]
Rock Never Dies

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

loved it ^

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »