roland cube 80xl help

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
Bob_BleedItDry
Neon Impossible

roland cube 80xl help

Post by Bob_BleedItDry »

Just bought one but have two questions if anyone has one first is how the hell do you use the boss fs 6 pedal its just not responding. And also I saw a video of a guy using about 15 pedals with his cube and no feedback but when I use one distortion pedal on the metal setting for leads there is a bit of unwanted feedback. Anyone help. Cheers

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Re: roland cube 80xl help

Post by austinjhnsn »

You're back! Was one of those 15 pedals a noise gate? That might help. If you have the gain way up its possible for there to be some feedback. When playing the leads are you covering up strings you don't want to hear? That's a probably for me at times, it gets sloppy if I'm not covering the top string that I'm not using. I can't help you about the first question though. Hope I could maybe help!
Thanks Timo!

Bob_BleedItDry
Neon Impossible

Post by Bob_BleedItDry »

Hey man im sending it back sick of digital amps

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Try out some Fender tube amps. I had a SuperChamp, and even though it was small, it sounded pretty good and was loud when you wanted it to be. It has built in effects too. Check it out.
Thanks Timo!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Blackstar HT5 combo is the way to go. It rules, pair that with a Fulltone OCD and you get some fucking awesome tones. I'll post some samples tomorrow.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Please do! I want that thing so bad.
Thanks Timo!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/614 ... amples.mp3

There you go man. I tried to get as much variety of tone as possible in there. The most metal one is at the end. Have a listen all the way through on good headphones. Those valves really have a raw edge. I love it.

The second to last one shows how well it cleans up with some gentle playing and how it dirties up when you dig in.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Oh and excuse the really rough playing.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Nice :D Sounds beastly! BNS sounded nice there too:)
Thanks Timo!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

If you're looking for something lower cost, the HT1 head with the 408 cab is pretty powerful as well. It fact it cleans up with the volume knob of the guitar even better than the HT5.

If the HT5 (mine's the combo) has a weak point it's the clean channel. It's pretty bland and needs way more compression than it has naturally. The Brand New Start one I had the OCD pedal pushing the volume pretty hard with a bit of quiet reverb and delay in the background.

The HT1 has an awesome clean channel. It doesn't have an EQ at all though.

Bob_BleedItDry
Neon Impossible

Post by Bob_BleedItDry »

Cheers everyone. I just gona go with a mesa single or dual rectifier ive always wanted one so gona wait for one to come up on ebay and use the old credit card. I have a steve vai jemini pedal and tremonti wah to add to it for leads. Always wanted a mesa rectifier so might aswell get one

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

That's one hello of a size increase. You'll blow your house away if it's just for practice.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

That's why they have volume knobs. :D

In general yeah that's overkill for a practice amp, but you can play a 100W amp moderately quiet. It just won't have the same bite as if the volume was increased.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Yeah I had a an HT100 before I bought the 5 watter. It was pretty good but never sounded THAT great at low volume. I was playing at like 0.0000001 on the volume knob :lol

It's a great thing to have if you're gonna gig or record though. You could look at the Mesa Mini Rec if it's just for practice.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Haha yeah that's really the main issue with playing a high wattage amp at home. You can play it quietly, but it'll never sound as good as it will with the volume up. But I tend to find that turning a 5W amp up is enough to annoy people around my house anyways. :lol

I'd probably suggest the Mini Rec for what he needs too. Idk how the Mesa market is in the UK, but those Mini Rectifiers are starting to sell for around $650 used over here if you watch online a bit.

But you can usually snag Single Rectifiers for around the same price lol.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/GkdMmQxEclo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/bzBSkunayc4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/stR8nyNiT0A[/youtube]

Thing sounds awesome. Even a bit more chunky than the Double Rec. I might buy one! :rockon

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Andy92 wrote:Haha yeah that's really the main issue with playing a high wattage amp at home. You can play it quietly, but it'll never sound as good as it will with the volume up. But I tend to find that turning a 5W amp up is enough to annoy people around my house anyways. :lol

I'd probably suggest the Mini Rec for what he needs too. Idk how the Mesa market is in the UK, but those Mini Rectifiers are starting to sell for around $650 used over here if you watch online a bit.

But you can usually snag Single Rectifiers for around the same price lol.
Haha tell me about it. I mean my HT5 is only a 1x12 but fuck me if it doesn't still make your ears bleed at full volume.

The only thing wouldn't do is keep up with a drummer.... would be close though!

I think a Mini Rec would easily be able to match a medium size gig and still be awesome at home due to the switchable wattage.

itaughttremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by itaughttremonti »

This should help...

[youtube]http://youtu.be/6teIFJPNeaw[/youtube]