My band's concept album

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
guitarkid78
Brand New Start

My band's concept album

Post by guitarkid78 »

Ok I decided to take the plunge; I hope this is the right thread. About five years ago, I recorded my first batch of songs. I used a TASCAM stand-alone digital recorder and really didn't know all that much about audio production. I posted the songs here and got some positive feedback and encouragement. However, no one was really down with my vocals. I rushed the recordings and was singing out of my range (I wanted to be Myles). In addition to that, my former bandmate and friend, who I truly respected as a musician, pretty much told me my vocals sucked. Needless to say, my confidence took a hit, and I sort of went into a self-imposed musical exile for a while.

For the past four years, I've been writing, developing, learning, and recording this album that I call The Alternate State. I debated on posting it to any forums because the truth is, my confidence is still pretty low. However, I trust this board and the people on it to give me positive criticisms, and I want to share it. It is my proudest achievement. The band is called The Nothingman (named after the Pearl Jam song). I play guitar, keys, and play keys. I recorded and mixed the album in my home studio with Logic Express 9.

The album is influenced by Mark Tremonti, Alter Bridge, Steven Wilson, and Porcupine Tree (some songs too much so). It is a concept album detailing the story of a man who loses his love to suicide and slowly withdraws from society due to his fear of death, his addiction to technology, and drug use. It culminates with his chance at redemption. I usually describe it as Inception meets Fear of a Blank Planet meets The Wall. If you decide to listen to it, it's about 40 minutes long (8 songs). I ask only that you listen with good speakers or headphones (laptop speakers won't do it any justice) and that you give me some advice. I'm 22; I've been playing guitar for 13 years, and I'm always looking for ways to grow.

TL; DR - Zero confidence; musical exile; recorded a concept album; here it is: http://www.reverbnation.com/thenothingman

Track 1: Center of the Universe/Searching for a Shade to Track 8: Finale/Reprise

The last four songs are old ones.

Sorry for the long post. If you listen, I hope you enjoy it, and thank you for your time!

-Tim
Last edited by guitarkid78 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Re: My band's concept album

Post by Dan Dando »

Hey. I've yet to listen to the music (although I will very soon) but I just wanted to say... don't go into another musical exile, man. Just keep at it. Even if your friend was right and your vocals did suck - there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I love this quote from my favourite author, Joe Hill.

'it’s okay to suck for a while. Just keep doing what you love until you suck less at it and the next thing you know people will pay you to do it. Suck until you don’t - the only way to ever make it as an artist"

Now I hope that doesn't sound like I'm saying that you suck before I even listen to your music :lol But, the point is - You just have to be confident, but you don't have to lie to yourself. You can tell yourself that you're not very good right now (if you definitely think that's true).. but.. you can also tell yourself that you WILL get better, and you WILL. Wear it all like a badge of honour. All of the influences you mentioned there most probably weren't very good before they got very good, you know? So just keep plugging away.

Right, I'm going to stop rambling now :lol

guitarkid78
Brand New Start

Post by guitarkid78 »

No I don't plan on going into exile again. I did some open mics last year, and they went well. I'm learning to write more within the limits of my vocal range. I'm not the type of singer that would impress anyone right away with range or power. No one would turn around for me on The Voice. I consider myself closer to Steven Wilson. I think he's a great singer, but he's not Jeff Buckley. I'm learning to love my voice for what it is instead of hating it for what it isn't. Thank you for the words of encouragement and your response!

Helldevil
Bought The CDs

Post by Helldevil »

Hey man, I just listened to the entire album and have to say I really like it. Even with Fortress in my ears your record is great. I like the whole vibe of it and how it develops from track to track. Of course you do not have a voice like Myles, but you have a decent voice that really fits the songs ;)

guitarkid78
Brand New Start

Post by guitarkid78 »

Hey much appreciated! Thanks for listening! It's a great compliment for you to call it great next to Fortress, and I really really appreciate you noticing the development of the album. I put a lot of detail into things that cannot be appreciated by listening to just one or two songs. Thanks again!

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

What Helldevil said. Your voice fits the song. Actually a great sound! I've been listening to the first three tracks and I'm loving it. And I'm glad you won't go on music exile. It will just stop you from developing. We really just have to keep going and going, get better and better. :) Songwriting for me is a bit a problem. Maybe it's the inspiration that is lacking but I just have to keep on going. I can't stop right now. haha.

Oh and if you got time, check some recordings of mine here https://soundcloud.com/divcruz :D
Goodluck on your journey!

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

Listening now, it sounds really well put together so far! Give me a rundown of your rig and guitars you used if you don't mind, I'd like to know what you're working with. Vocals are pretty good, keep at it!

guitarkid78
Brand New Start

Post by guitarkid78 »

Thanks so much everyone. It means a ton. Div, I'm going to listen as soon as I get home. Mark Tremonti always says songwriting is like a muscle. I tell my brother (the drummer) all the time to just be confident and write from the heart. You can't go wrong if you do that.

HellRazor, here is my recording rig and guitar rig:

Macbook Pro with Logic Express 9
Onyx 1620i firewire mixer
CAD drum mics (the weakest link of my mics, but I'm looking to upgrade)
Studio Projects C1 (vocals, sound effects)
CAD CM217 condensers (acoustic guitars)
Shure SM57 (electric guitars)

PRS SE 245 (most of my guitar tracks)
Washburn Idol 64DL (tracks 6 and 7)
PRS SE Singlecut Trem (volume swells on the intro of track 2)
Samick acoustic guitar

Peavey Valveking 212 plus 4x12 cabinet
B-52 AT-100 Head and 4x12 cabinet
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah (for leads)
MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive (for leads and the more metal sections)
Line 6 MM4 (phasers, flangers, some leslie simulators I think)
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
MXR Carbon Copy

Long list. I didn't realize how much stuff I had. As you can probably guess, I have spent all of my money on this stuff.

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

Have you heard of the Washburn Bucklay series? I'm not sure though but your 64DL looks similar with my Bucklay BE15. haha. Just a random thought though but I think it is more similar to the Washburn WI14. I don't quite get the difference between them, besides the price.

guitarkid78
Brand New Start

Post by guitarkid78 »

I hadn't heard of the Bucklay series until I saw your post. It looks like it was marketed more internationally than in America (where I am). I can see from your Soundcloud you're from the Philippines. I really enjoyed Wayward One, the Mayfield covers, and especially the Godfather instrumental. The Godfather is one of my favorite movies. Just make sure that guitar is always in tune, but otherwise keep on rocking!

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

guitarkid78 wrote:I hadn't heard of the Bucklay series until I saw your post. It looks like it was marketed more internationally than in America (where I am). I can see from your Soundcloud you're from the Philippines. I really enjoyed Wayward One, the Mayfield covers, and especially the Godfather instrumental. The Godfather is one of my favorite movies. Just make sure that guitar is always in tune, but otherwise keep on rocking!
Greatly appreciated, man! Thanks! Honestly, Sometimes my guitar is not in tune (most probably because of the intonation). I hope to get a new guitar though. But it's not a big trouble. Still in tune most of the time.