Line6 POD's

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Line6 POD's

Post by mitch103 »

Anyone use any of them? I just ordered a pod hd desktop and cant wait to hook it up to my monitors. I love the idea of being able to combine amp tones. Included in it's amp models are the dual rectifier and uberschall.. time to create a tremonti tone! :rockon

Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: Line6 POD's

Post by Crumbso »

I had the old Flextone 3 amp by Line 6 and it fucking ruled for recording. I then sold that and went to a POD HD 500. I found it massively disappointing unfortunately. The high gain amps were mainly really flat and it doesn't stack up for live use.

I might buy one again as a stomp box and clean amp modeler through the effects loop of my amp though. They are good headphones practice tools.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Well thats disappointing to hear.. I actually own a dual rectifier but I didnt wanna haul it to school this year since my apartment isnt that big.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

Crumbso wrote:I had the old Flextone 3 amp by Line 6 and it fucking ruled for recording. I then sold that and went to a POD HD 500. I found it massively disappointing unfortunately. The high gain amps were mainly really flat and it doesn't stack up for live use.

I might buy one again as a stomp box and clean amp modeler through the effects loop of my amp though. They are good headphones practice tools.
How long ago did you have it because they have added some stuff to it and even have a remodeled version out. Also how good are you with playing with the settings because a lot of people don't like them without really ever digging into what they can do. I have a hd400 myself and have no complaints

cointurtlemoose
Loyal Follower

Post by cointurtlemoose »

The high gain sounds on the early PODs (and really all Line6) were pretty bad. And when they first came out I used a friend's HD Live one time and did not like the high gain stuff (though I didn't need it, I had pedals for that). Over the years though, they've improved noticeably. Recently a friend of mine had an M13 and was getting some reasonably high gain sounds out of it that really surprised me when I found out he was using Line6.

Who knows though, you might like it! Like Jhenrid said, recent versions of Line6 stuff are sounding better with high gain.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Well, got it in the mail today. Took a few hours of knob turning but I finally got the two amps to mix well together. Now I cant stop sitting directly in front of my monitors hitting the open 000xxx chord.. sounds incredible!

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

how much did the POD HD desktop cost you? I'm thinking about getting rid of my old POD XT and using something exclusively for practicing on my computer at home since my amps are at my drummer's house.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

It was $300 I believe, well worth it for the tones you can get on this thing.. my mesa/bogner combo sounds nasty dude

barthec
Brand New Start

Post by barthec »

Hey! Im using POD HD300 for some 3 weeks and I must say I find it really cool when it comes to high gain sound. I bought it to play gigs and not to take all the gear (logistics). I think that nowadays we can achieve really good sound with those line6. Anyway, I combined Mesa amp with engl cabinet (sm57 on axis) and modified the sound with eq. Sounds great. I am a big fan of AB and I must say that this sound reminds me of Tremonti's guitar (or I'm completely deaf :D ). There are big possibilities in POD HDs.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Totally, the level of accuracy of the modeling is pretty damn good. As they continue to get better and add more amp models I can't wait to see what the future holds.

barthec
Brand New Start

Post by barthec »

Indeed. I went year ago to a gig where Trivium played and they did it using just 'pedalboards' with emulation of amps. I was totally shocked when I heard it in the end of show (security staff told me that). The sound was great. Using just the emulation effects is great when it comes to logistics. Really helpful.

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

There's a local band in NY named Charetta (charetta.com), female fronted 5 piece hard rock band, smoking hot vocalist with an overall sound like a slightly lighter version of Evanescence with a little less over the top-ness on the vox. Anyway I was talking with the guitar player who helped found the band (second guitarist added a few years ago) and asked him about what both guitars' rigs are. He said they go direct thru an effects rack and get piped into cabinets and part of the PA wherever possible. Makes for an almost perfect album sound if that's what you're looking for. It also makes for really easy setup/breakdown and for less heavy shit to lug. I forget what rack(s) they're using tho lol.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Hey guys, I think after much time i've finally perfected my tremonti tones. Got that rhythm tone just about spot on.. also got his clean and lead tones pretty well simulated and the bluesy tone for burn it down that i created sounds pretty accurate as well as nice and smooth too. If you own a podHD and wanna check them out I can upload them.. I referenced this video for the rhythm and lead tones:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/RUqR_9HjnRk[/youtube]

at 18:23 you can clearly hear his rhythm tone and then he switches to the lead tone at about 18:25. If you like how they sound in that video let me know!

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

Hey mitch let me know if you upload them

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Sure man here they are: http://line6.com/customtone/profile/mitch103

Obviously the fender twin tone and the mesa boogie/bogner uberschall tones are the ones I used for mark's clean and rhythm tones. So the ENGL Fireball is the lead tone and the Marschall JCM800 is the Burn It Down tone. Keep in mind I created these using my prs tremonti so if you have that guitar or at least a guitar with THOSE pickups it will sound more accurate. Let me know what you think!

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

The mesa/bogner tone is wicked. I think you pretty much have them nailed. I used a tremonti se with the usa pickups. I only got to try it through headphones, it's too late to cut on the amp.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

That's good to hear since sometimes a tone sounds good to one person using certain guitar/speakers/etc. and doesn't translate very well to another person.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Also I think if you're not using a pod hd desktop but rather a podhd 300/400/500 you can simply change the file extension to the proper .h*e