How to de-stink a microphone?

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
TenaciousBe
On The Rail

How to de-stink a microphone?

Post by TenaciousBe »

Okay, so... my ex-band's singer borrowed one of my mics for a few months. I knew that he wasn't really using it, and I'm trying to get a new acoustic band moving, so I got it back from him. In setting it up, I realized that it just...stinks. Mostly of stale cigarette smoke (he and his wife are avid smokers). And the grill is a little bit rusted up, not sure how that happened other than he must have been spitting on it and not keeping it cleaned up. Anyway. I can live with that, but not so much the smell. Is there a way to fix this? I'm sure it's on the inside of the mic, the little cloth part. Being all full of electronics, I don't exactly want to go spraying febreeze all over it. Can I, say, place it in a container next to a box of baking soda or something? Or should I just write it off as a loss and give it back to him to enjoy? It's a low-end Shure (PG48), not horribly expensive but I don't really want to just throw it away...
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

itaughttremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Re: How to de-stink a microphone?

Post by itaughttremonti »

Most shure mics allow you to unscrew the windscreen cap...you can do that and wash it separately. If you're gonna use it for recording and not really use it live...you can just scrape the windscreen out and use a pop filter when recording.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

scented baby wipes

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

take it out yo ass
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

then use scented baby wipes

BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Post by BennyWhatever »

Pledge makes some good multi-purpose wipes that are lint-free. You could get those and wipe it down before/after you use it. Over time, it'll either get better or your own personal stink [fragrance] will take it over.
:yeahthat