Alter Bridge/Creed/Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
Kreuger
TABN.com Citizen

Re: Alter Bridge/Creed/Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List

Postby Kreuger » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:11 am

Jhenrid wrote:
Kreuger wrote:Just watched a live video where they played Native Son, Rise Today and In the Deep and Myles used the same guitar for all 3, presumably Drop C#

Myles actually retunes his guitars a bit so it makes it harder to judge based on him

I'm pretty sure there was no tuning between these songs.

Judging by the way he describes the tuning for I'm the Deep, it's likely AGCFAD, maybe all a half step higher.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Postby Jhenrid » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:21 am

Kreuger wrote:
Jhenrid wrote:
Kreuger wrote:Just watched a live video where they played Native Son, Rise Today and In the Deep and Myles used the same guitar for all 3, presumably Drop C#

Myles actually retunes his guitars a bit so it makes it harder to judge based on him

I'm pretty sure there was no tuning between these songs.

Judging by the way he describes the tuning for I'm the Deep, it's likely AGCFAD, maybe all a half step higher.

For Myles that sounds right but as he stated him and Mark are in different tunings on this song. By the way I'm assuming your talking about Myles using the black tele which he also uses on cry of achilles and ghost which are all in different tunings. Either he's retuning or playing differently than the albums.

Kreuger
TABN.com Citizen

Postby Kreuger » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:38 pm

Yes the black Tele. Cry of Achilles is a half step down so it wouldn't be a stretch for him to drop the D# to a C# as needed. But they both use an open tuning for Ghosts as far as I know.
Scott Stapp:

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Postby SchwiizVT12 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:28 am

So I did a thing over Christmas and retuned one of my guitars to G# standard and was able to recreate "In the deep" as Mark plays it live so I'm definitely going with that tuning for Mark.

In London at the guitar clinic I asked Mark about Indoctrination and what version of Drop A# he was using (whether it was a la Come to life/Broken wings etc or Tore My Heart out) and he said actually it's in standard tuned all the way down to A#... tried that on my down-tuned guitar and it works but it's so unnecessary... :facepalm

Kreuger
TABN.com Citizen

Postby Kreuger » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:13 pm

Interesting to hear that. Have any of you guys listened to Scott's new album? Trying to figure out the tunings there.

Edit: I tried playing Indoctrination in the Broken Wings tuning and it definitely sounds a bit off.
Scott Stapp:

Return to “Musicians Unite”