The Official DREAM THEATER Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: The Official DREAM THEATER Thread

Post by Dolo »

VigilantSteve wrote: Sure, there are songs of theirs that don't contain much, if any, "wankage"...I wasn't really saying that. But when you look at their albums as a whole there are large portions of songs, if not full songs, that are made up of large jamming instrumental sections. I can't really think of any of their albums that don't, and don't really expect this one to either.
Yeah, I see where you are coming from with these statements. I also do not expect anything unique. They've said that it's going to be their best work.... I'm afraid it does concern their instrumental capacities not songwriting. I'm waiting for 23th September though.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

That's who Dream Theater is... so I wouldn't get your hopes up. Also they've never really improvised instrumental sections either.. all of them are well prepared & thought out. It's not like they go into the studio & hit record & say "alright... let's show off guys!" lol I definitely appreciate the instrumental sections.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

JaredWard wrote:I definitely appreciate the instrumental sections.
Yeah, me also but sometimes that just gets anwkard when Petrucci and Rudess are just trading solos for couple of minutes. I love DT but look at song like The Ministry of Lost Souls. That lead guitar part, chorus, bridge and acoustic section are beautiful but then they start to wank for a lenghty period of time. It could have been easily 8:00-ish track instead of 15:00. It's just my two cents there, I'm not offensive towards these guys.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Well yeah.. solos are a different story. I'm sure if they cut out solos most of their fan base would protest the album though.

Carps
Brand New Start

Post by Carps »

dolo1993 wrote:
JaredWard wrote:I definitely appreciate the instrumental sections.
Yeah, me also but sometimes that just gets anwkard when Petrucci and Rudess are just trading solos for couple of minutes. I love DT but look at song like The Ministry of Lost Souls. That lead guitar part, chorus, bridge and acoustic section are beautiful but then they start to wank for a lenghty period of time. It could have been easily 8:00-ish track instead of 15:00. It's just my two cents there, I'm not offensive towards these guys.
I think it works, especially in this song, as it break up the repetitive melody and builds suspense for the ending (i love the ending). If they removed it you wouldn't get the same build up for when the melody kicks back in near the end. I like it anyway.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

JaredWard wrote:Well yeah.. solos are a different story. I'm sure if they cut out solos most of their fan base would protest the album though.
^Yep, more than likely this. Not to mention, the CD that probably had the least amount of crazy instrumental sections on it is Falling Into Infinity, and it's largely regarded among their fanbase (and by the band themselves, based on an interview I read a few years ago) as being their worst album.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/JIzd4zAT6Hs[/youtube]

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

20 minute epic song, that's interesting. Hopefully it is something The Count of Tuscany-like.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Tomorrow! USAToday.com will be exclusively premiering "The Enemy Inside" the first track of the new self titled Dream Theater album. You will be able to listen to it first at http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

So........ what do you think? I know it's a single and it has to be fast and aggressive but there is not much of anything but technical workout. Hopefully rest of the album is different... but that's doubtful as well.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Thanks Jared, I'm definitely gonna have to check this out when I get home.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

LaBrie sucks as much as ever
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

And I just got to the Rudess wankery and had to switch it off, can't believe this guy is still in this band.
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Macca wrote:And I just got to the Rudess wankery and had to switch it off, can't believe this guy is still in this band.
This. It sounds like music I used to listen to when I was attending kindergarden.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

It's growing on me. I'm not too crazy about the production or drum tones but it's a pretty solid song. I don't know where you're coming from with Rudess.. the guy is a genius.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I've only listened to it once, so I'll post again when I've let it grow. I'm not the biggest DT fan, I've listened to all their albums, but there's many of their songs I wouldn't recognise, yet I felt like I had heard it all before? I can't mention what songs it sounded like, as I can't tell you, apart from Bridges In The Sky and Build Me Up. It just didn't strike me as anything particularly innovative for DT, although I guess after 12 albums you're gonna start repeating yourself. I also dislike DT's 'heavy' sound, the intro sounded completely out of place to the entire song, it's like they're trying too hard to give the fans that punch. Also I was really put off by Rudess' solo.

I only listened to the song once like 6 hours ago, so I'm sure I can give it a better review on a second listen.

EDIT - Just read through the post again, I've only picked up on the negatives. I did enjoy the song, but at the same time it reminded me as to why I'm not a very big DT fan anymore.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

I just wanna know what's up with the snare sound... it's a muddy mess. It seems like most Rock bands don't know how to mix or produce great sounding albums anymore.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I really don't like it. I tried to be as open minded as I could about it but damn. It's like plastic became sentient and learned how to play music. And Rudess... he was always my biggest stumbling block to listening to this band other than the general song writing. It sounds like he's playing on some toy Fisher Price keyboard half the time.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

I can't really comment on the production of the song since I only ended up listening through my cell phone, and it was probably a fairly low quality stream in the first place...but I actually quite enjoyed the song as a whole. It's definitely more on the "heavy" side, which I generally enjoy from them most of the time, and the song sounds like it could have been on their Train of Thought album, which is one of my favorites of theirs. I guess I'm probably in the minority here, but I also really liked all of the stuff Rudess did here too. Definitely interested in hearing what direction the rest of the CD takes.