The Official DREAM THEATER Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Re: The Official DREAM THEATER Thread

Post by DivCruz »

I was taken aback by the release of the single. I don't know it didn't grab the way their previous records did. I love Images and Words! Almost none of the dream theater songs I dislike but the new single surprised me. A bit disappointed though but I'll wait for the album. I'm looking forward to Mangini's hits too!

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

http://www.grammy.com/news/grammycom-ex ... am-theater - their new song, Along for the Ride

I've listened to it twice now. It does absolutely nothing for me. I have no reaction to it, it's just a song, there's really nothing special about it at all. I've spent a few minutes thinking over what I could say about the song, but I really can't say anything about it, apart from the drum sounds. The drums sound completely flat, and I think Mangini may be trying to hard to be flashy, which is really disappointing.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ I can see your point, here's what I put in the DT forums.

Pretty decent, nothing too ground-breaking, just a standard DT ballad. I think it is a good thing they decided to leak this one out, for the moment, and not one of their grandiose big-time aura songs.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

This one is moving me rather more than The Enemy Inside even if it's just a standard ballad as it was said above. That keyboard sound have already appeared in Beneath the Surface and makes me laugh for some reason. Hopefully the rest of the album is more exciting.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Electricladyland
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Electricladyland »

It sounds a lot like 'Beneath The Surface'

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Hm, I kinda like it. I definitely like it better than the first single.. The production could've been a lot better though.. And what's up with the keyboard sound?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

I don't understand the ridiculous snare sound.. this is probably the first Mangini album I've heard that has horrible drum tones. As for the song - it's okay but I'm diggin' The Enemy Inside a lot more.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Im surprised that Im not looking forward to this album after enjoying ADTOE so much... I guess Fortress is kinda screwing with my attention span.
Thanks Timo!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

austinjhnsn wrote:Im surprised that Im not looking forward to this album after enjoying ADTOE so much... I guess Fortress is kinda screwing with my attention span.
Well, you may not, but I am. This is going to be the 8th rock album of 2013, I'm listening to in its entirety. Sure, the two songs released prior to this were so-so, and I don't think this can beat Skillet's Rise in terms of enjoyment, but it should be a solid album filled with their usual effort of music wankery.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Its not that Im not gonna listen, Im just not excited for it. Im definitely gonna listen to it and probably purchase it.
Thanks Timo!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Stream's up. Found these courtesy of the DT forum.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20130916 (For US, I think)

http://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/board ... ic=38972.0 .

OP has the sites for various countries that has the stream available.

Liking the opening track, so far.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I've listened to it once, I'll probably need to listen to it more times for it all to soak in, as there's always a lot going on with Dream Theater albums. There's probably a lot of the last three albums that haven't soaked in yet, although I barely listen to them.

The Enemy Inside and Along for the Ride grew on me slightly, but apart from that nothing much grabbed me. Illumination Theory was quite good, I seem to remember some funky riff? Some good melodies and vocals from James too, he needs to sing like that more often, his melodies are often boring making his voice sound dull.

willy5150
TABN.com Citizen

Post by willy5150 »

There some songs on here that really blow me away.WOW

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I'm on The Looking Glass now. I'm enjoying this immensely.
Thanks Timo!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I've listened to that steam and I'm planning on listening to this album again after it gets released. To me, it doesn't sound like their strongest record but it's quite fine. I was hoping for smaller amount of instrumental wankage but yeah, that's what DT stand for. Hopefully, this album will move me more after second playthrough.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Electricladyland
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Electricladyland »

Just got done listening to this stream. Illumination Theory is without question the best song this record. I like that they are back at experimenting again, which is refreshing. They got stuck in this streamline since Systematic Chaos where each new album after it sounded progressively more like the last one.

Also, John Myung is just really present in this album. One of my favorite parts of the earlier albums was that you could hear JM so much and his bass playing just added this beautiful touch.

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

Enjoying this album but the only song that really stood out as great was Illumination Theory, a lot of great parts to it and I actually think the ambient - strings section works well, even if it makes it a strange song to listen to. I'll give it more time before making judgement on the rest of the songs (strangely it's normally long songs it takes longer to get a handle on but the long one hit me right away while the rest didn't have much impact), but I doubt any of them will end up among my favourite DT songs. Still a great album and since I almost always like things a lot more after listening for a while I'd say it's my favourite album of the year so far, but it's looking very beatable with Alter Bridge coming along.

Heretic
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Heretic »

I really like parts of this album. The string section in Illumination Theory rules, as does the ending. The Looking Glass is really good, and a few of the other songs have really good intros or choruses. It's just less interesting and sort of by-the-numbers DT. Disappointing, sadly.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I re-listened to this new album on Sunday and I'd say The Enemy Inside and Along for The Ride have grown on me a little bit. I also like that major riff in The Looking Glass as well as some parts of Behind The Veil. Illumination Theory is strongest one on this particular record for me. It feels like guys in DT are running out of ideas but this album is pretty decent.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

So, is anyone going to go ahead and check at this Luna Park performance, thingamabob? Do you guys think the content is good?

I might give that a watch or so.