The Official DREAM THEATER Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Lukeage
TABN.com Citizen

Re: The Official DREAM THEATER Thread

Post by Lukeage »

The Astonishing is boring as fuck.

Only about three songs I actually remember from the whole 34.

Sometimes, less is more. I would have been happy with a 8-10 track album, with a single 15 minute epic and some other songs.

It probably would've worked better if they did it like Six Degrees...

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

So, don't know where else to put it, but back around 2004, a progressive metal band named Ayreon got James Labrie to do vocals in the album, The Human Equation, (which to me is probably my favorite Progressive Metal album in which JLB played a big role to me really liking the album) which is the closest thing to a metal opera as one can get. Then back in 2015, Ayreon finally pulled the trigger and do 4 live shows and played The Human Equation album in its entriety and managed to get a good amount of the original vocalists and musicians that played in the album. Now, there's going to be a DVD of this show and I can't wait to watch this. I'm too excited for this.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/VQKygo4uJeI[/youtube]

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I think Kev posted this song in another thread, but I thought I'd put it in here for discussion.

Our New World - Featuring Lzzy Hale
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

Their new album Distance Over Time is out today! I think it's safe to say it's really damn good. It's aggressive yet fun to listen to. You can tell they had a good time making it. Petrucci really shines, you can hear Myung, Rudess knew when to step up and when to be restrained, LaBrie's age is starting to show but he makes it work, and most importantly, Mangini sounds much better than past albums. My favorites in no particular order are At Wit's End, S2N, and Pale Blue Dot. I'm not sure where I'd rank this album as a whole, but it's definitely their best Mangini-era album in my opinion.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Nick_917 wrote:Their new album Distance Over Time is out today! I think it's safe to say it's really damn good. It's aggressive yet fun to listen to. You can tell they had a good time making it. Petrucci really shines, you can hear Myung, Rudess knew when to step up and when to be restrained, LaBrie's age is starting to show but he makes it work, and most importantly, Mangini sounds much better than past albums. My favorites in no particular order are At Wit's End, S2N, and Pale Blue Dot. I'm not sure where I'd rank this album as a whole, but it's definitely their best Mangini-era album in my opinion.
Totally agree. I'm listening to it the first time through right now (on Pale Blue Dot right now) and I'm really really enjoying it - which is saying something because their music is typically so complex and non-catchy that I have to hear it a few times to get my head around it and appreciate it. Not that this album is simple - because it is not - but it's much more listenable than a lot of their work (I can't even hum anything off of The Awakening).

Love Barstool Warrior and Untethered Angel, and the bonus track Viper King is def one of my favorites.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

The whole album is pretty excellent. The songs definitely seem a lot more focused than they have in a LONG time now, and the benefits of it show. Not sure what my favorite songs are yet since I've only listened 2 times through, but this one is going to stay in my rotation far longer than The Astonishing.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

This is probably the biggest prog news of 2023 to be honest.

I'm only hoping that the album they are writing with him is going be a return to form from the 2000s after a series with half-assed records with Mangini.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp