The Official PORCUPINE TREE Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Heretic
TABN.com Citizen

The Official PORCUPINE TREE Thread

Post by Heretic »

A thread for one of the best progressive bands out there. I find Fear of a Blank Planet, Deadwing, In Absentia, and Stupid Dream to be some of the best albums of all time.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/ERQDxLsfrjw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/6FveZKs2IZI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/e9OLIzr66us[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/fejcUN0G9X4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/3CpAlN5qAhs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/xmjaV7UBKZ0[/youtube]

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: The Official PORCUPINE TREE Thread

Post by Andy92 »

I heard Piano Lessons for the first time about a week ago. I had really only listened to the albums with Gavin on drums for a while. Loved the interaction between the guitar and piano on that track.

By the way, any word on a new album coming from these guys?
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

no news as of yet as SW is doing another Blackfield and solo record. So will be 2013 or 2014 til PT surface again

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

No love for Lightbulb Sun? :wink
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

I prefer Recordings to Lightbulb Sun

Heretic
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Heretic »

Lightbulb Sun is a good album, though, yeah.

Buying New Soul is becoming one of my favorite songs ever. The way the last chorus builds up = <3

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Steve Wilson put up a link to an older demo from the In Absentia / Deadwing era today. It's the newest one on this Soundcloud page:

http://soundcloud.com/steven-wilson/tracks

I can't get the play feature to work for some reason, but if you download the track with the download link it plays fine.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I think the next album from Steven Wilson will be with the band he's been touring with for his solo album. There hasn't been a lot of details but there might be a theme of ghosts and stuff on the album? I don't really know.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

:facepalm he needs to do more PT stuff IMO

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Fletch wrote::facepalm he needs to do more PT stuff IMO
Totally agree. Although The Incident was a tad disappointing. Wouldn't be surprised if PT went in a bit of a different direction on their next album.

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

I know what you mean tbh, I would like too see what they came up with as a collective group and include John Wesley aswell rather than he was a touring guitarist for PT. But shall see.... goes back to TPT :D

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Yeah, they're definitely going in a different direction. Steven Wilson has talked numerous times about how the metal scene has tired and I think you can hear it on The Incident. I'm pumped for his next solo album. Grace For Drowning is one of, if not the best things he has ever produced.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Steven Wilson recently conducted an interview with Rolling Stone. Full interview here: http://rollingstoneindia.com/home-flash ... en-wilson/ I picked out this quote because I figured it would be of interest to some of you.

Does that mean that there is a danger that Porcupine Tree might fall by the wayside?

The honest answer is I don’t know. The solo career for me now is probably the most important. I think about it more than anything else, I’m more focussed on it than anything else, I enjoy it more than anything else and I’m brimming over with ideas. Whereas with Porcupine Tree, I’m not quite sure what to do with the band next. We’ve made 10 albums over a period of almost 20 years. The problem is, when you establish such a strong brand or trademark, and you spend years building it up, people expect you to become a machine, endlessly putting out an album, then touring. I promised myself many years ago that I would never ever allow myself to let this become a job. For me, it’s still about being very selfish and doing what I want to do. I know I’ve been fortunate that there seems to be enough people out there who respect me enough and still want to listen to whatever I do. Right now all my thoughts and energies are wrapped up in the excitement and the buzz I’m getting from the solo work.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I respect him for waiting until he gets a lot of inspiration to make a new record with different projects, but it doesn't mean I love it. lol

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Yeah, I definitely have to respect him for sticking to his principles. Luckily, I happen to love his solo work so far and I can see how it might be able to eclipse the work he's done in Porcupine Tree. I have complete faith in this man.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

I've never understood his solo stuff. PT is paramount to me & puts any other project he's ever been involved with to shame. Just my 2 cents.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

What don't you understand? I can certainly see not liking it but what's difficult to understand?

By the way, someone in the band doesn't like jazz so if anyone is worried about Porcupine Tree's eventual shift in direction, it won't be that way.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

The Incident is my favorite PT album. Wouldn't mind some more.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Heh, well, Steven Wilson said in that interview that he recognizes it as one of his weaker efforts so he's probably going to move away from that sound.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Always find with Steven Wilson that he's either really good or really bad. There's always a few tracks on each album that I just don't like at all, but the stuff that is good is very very good.
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?