The Official PORCUPINE TREE Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Fletch
Loyal Follower

Re: The Official PORCUPINE TREE Thread

Post by Fletch »

Steven Wilson UK Tour announced for October 2013

Tue 15th - Bristol Colston Hall
Thu 17th - Wolverhampton Civic Hall
Fri 18th - Newcastle City Hall
Sun 20th - London Royal Albert Hall

These dates have No Support and are regarded as "An Eveneing with Steven Wilson"

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Eff5x3mo2xU[/youtube]

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/NgW8tzKqtpA[/youtube]

Steven Wilson with Gavin Harrison on Drums :D

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/vdHisKZrGF8[/youtube]

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/uTsXb0XtxbQ[/youtube]

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/W8giorQahLo[/youtube]

ON THAT NOTE......

[youtube]http://youtu.be/GMEwM3YHiME[/youtube]

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I would just like to point out that I got exposed to this band over in the "Top 5 Favorite Albums" thread, and now I can't stop listening to the album "Fear of a Blank Planet." So far, the title track and "Anesthetize" are my favorite tracks.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Miss this band.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I miss it too. Wilson needs this band, judging from The Raven.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

http://www.progrockmag.com/news/porcupi ... -confirms/
But he describes Porcupine Tree’s position as “slightly more complex,” explaining: “It can’t really happen without me instigating it, being the main writer and director.

“I don’t have time in my life to do that and do what I’m doing now. I guess I have made the decision, right now, to concentrate on the solo career.

“But that’s not to say the band has broken up or anything like that. It’s always conceivable that we could get back together in a year or five years, or 10 years. I really can’t say – there are no plans at the moment.”
Sigh.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

That sucks. As much as I love Raven, PT's always been one of my favourite bands..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Steven Wilson really gets on my nerves. That quote pretty much says Porcupine Tree are finished, but he's too scared to say so directly, because he knows Porcupine Tree is one of the main reasons why he has a solo career now. He'd upset the vast majority of his fans if he did break up Porcupine Tree. His solo career is good, but I think it's safe to say his fans would prefer him to work with Porcupine Tree. This may be a bit naive but I don't see why he can't just give his fans what they want. Can't take 6 weeks out of his precious solo career to do a short tour?

Although I've just ranted about him, would anyone recommend seeing him live? He's playing Bristol, which is pretty close to me, I want to go, but at the same time I'm not really fussed about it. If it was Porcupine Tree I'd jump at the opportunity, but his solo material doesn't connect with me as much.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/2Hp6lYx4Fvw[/youtube]

He can do whatever he wants, as long as he keeps making masterpieces like this :bow
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I'm gonna be honest here, that performance bored me to tears. I do not get what people see in that album. I haven't bought it yet, and I definitely won't now.
Related Sidenote: I have heard a lot of people praising the guitar solo. What's so impressive about it??

I worry that once he gets off this high of working with these oh so great musicians, he's going to look back and realize how poor the album was, just like he did with The Incident. He has since realized that was a mistake and it seems to me like he's making similar errors here, e.g. being overambitious, being caught up in ideals, aiming for instrumental complexity over feeling, etc.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Except for the fact that I think The Raven is a solid album, I strongly agree with Nick.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Other than a few tunes his solo stuff is b-o-r-i-n-g imo. I still need need to give his new album a proper listen but I can't say I'm expecting much.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I like the ideals of his post-Insurgentes solo project but the execution isn't super impressive so far. Grace For Drowning was pretty good overall, but I think it was too much to handle and make perfect. A lot of the tracks have weak parts and the experience doesn't actually flow very well. Still, there's some amazing stuff in there.

The Raven, however, expands on what was bad about GFD. I love the idea of incorproating jazz approaches and instrumentation into prog, as many bands did in the 70s, but they're ignoring the soul, feel, and creativity of jazz in favor of prog-sounding out of place instrumentation and the license to solo as much as they want. Rather than being inspired by the progressive approaches in the 70s and extending that creativity, they're just going back and repeating it. King Crimson did it way before them and they did it better.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

And before I get too negative, Insurgentes is still phenomenal. My favorite thing he's ever done; one of my favorite albums in general too.

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

I'm off to get into Marillion.....

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's strange to see so many well-founded negative opinions. I agree with some of them, or at least I understand where you're coming from. But when you guys talk about lack of feel and soul and emotion, I just can't agree with that. You can call it plastic emotion, and maybe I'm easily persuadable, but I feel this album a lot more than I feel Steven's other solo projects and a lot more other music in general (and I listen to a lot of music, I'm not that guy that thinks Alter Bridge, Creed and Slash are the only good bands out there). After all these weeks I'm still impressed by it, and I still get in a perfect haze when I listen to the title track.

That's all :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.