The DAUGHTRY Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: The DAUGHTRY Thread

Post by anguyen92 »

One criticism I have on Daughtry is that some of their songs really just ends suddenly. I'm not a huge fans of the sudden ending effect. It just leaves me with that feeling that something is missing.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Honestly I'm liking this album a lot more as I listen to it multiple times. Once you get past the change in style, you realize these are some of the catchiest songs they've written. I'll Fight and Battleship always stay in my head.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

creed009
Loyal Follower

Post by creed009 »

I've only listened to "Waiting for Superman" so far, and that's a great song. I'll listen to the other songs on youtube sometime.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

For anyone with a hard copy of the album interested in getting it signed:

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

A new Daughtry fan here. But I have listened to Over You and Home way back when it was famous. Home was played on the radio earlier and I thought giving that a try. And I'm glad I did try! :D

Decay

Post by Decay »

Daughtry are a great band, one of my favorites. :)

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I sent my booklet in the mail today to be signed. We'll see if I get it back. :lol

Altered
Bought The CDs

Post by Altered »

Ok just heard the new album and I am quite disappointed. He like went straight up pop now. What happened to his core sound from the original album?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Altered wrote:Ok just heard the new album and I am quite disappointed. He like went straight up pop now. What happened to his core sound from the original album?
Personally, I thought Break The Spell was the worst of the first 3 albums. Seemed like the songwriting was starting to get a little stale as they were staying within their core sound. I saw Daughtry live twice on the Break The Spell tour, and the songs off that album just didn't get good crowd reaction. I think the sound they went for on Baptized was used to shake up the formula a little bit.

With that being said, the first two albums are my favorites, but so far I've liked Baptized more than Break The Spell. I wish they had some more rock oriented songs on this album too, but at the end of the day they've always been a pop/rock band. This album just focuses on the pop elements more than the rock elements.

Altered
Bought The CDs

Post by Altered »

Andy92 wrote:
Altered wrote:Ok just heard the new album and I am quite disappointed. He like went straight up pop now. What happened to his core sound from the original album?
Personally, I thought Break The Spell was the worst of the first 3 albums. Seemed like the songwriting was starting to get a little stale as they were staying within their core sound. I saw Daughtry live twice on the Break The Spell tour, and the songs off that album just didn't get good crowd reaction. I think the sound they went for on Baptized was used to shake up the formula a little bit.

With that being said, the first two albums are my favorites, but so far I've liked Baptized more than Break The Spell. I wish they had some more rock oriented songs on this album too, but at the end of the day they've always been a pop/rock band. This album just focuses on the pop elements more than the rock elements.
Yeah makes sense....in the end he should of took the Fuel gig lol

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

going to see daughtry tonight at starland ballroom. pretty stoked
Thanks Andy!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I know I'm late, but hope you have a good time! Let us know how it was!

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

it was one of the best concerts ive been too. sorry for the late reply! haven't been able to be online! He called a girl on stage, came out into the crowd to sign stuff for a girl who had to leave. His voice was in pretty decent shape, but you could hear towards the end that it was getting weaker. He didn't play any break the spell which bummed me out, would have loved to hear crawling back to you or break the spell acoustic!

But he played Traitor for the first time and played all my favorites from Baptized and they were great live!
Thanks Andy!

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Daughtry released the music video for Battleships a few weeks back, its a mix of live footage with footage shot for the video.

He also released a song called Utopia for the upcoming reality show. Its pretty catchy.
Thanks Andy!

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

He needs to quit playing around and go ahead and release I'll Fight as a single. CATCHY

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbwsMPlONb4[/YouTube]

The guys put out a new single today called "Torches" for their upcoming greatest hits album.

A few things:

1. It's not the only new song, there's another called Go Down
2. The new song is pretty catchy, but nothing special really.
3. I don't see the point in a greatest hits album anymore. Most music fans nowadays buy songs, not albums, so it seems a bit redundant.
Thanks Andy!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

New Daughtry song, Backbone.

I mean compared to the stuff I hear on KROQ (well known radio station in SoCal, especially in the LA and OC area), it's ok, but as a guy that has been listening to these guys since 2007, this is a bit disappointing on how they are going about changing their sound. Seems like they are going the way of Skillet, Shinedown, and Theory of a Deadman when it comes to changing their sound so drastically. Of course, one could argue that Daughtry did that first with the way they went about Baptized (that album was in 2013!!!! Where did the time go?).

I don't mind it when certain musicians change their sound that is way different than what they have done. I mean Myles incorporated a banjo, mandolin, lap-steel guitars and incorporated some blusey and country elements in Year of the Tiger. Steven Wilson did a poppy song that sounded like ABBA and had Bollywood dancers in his music video. From some reason, that worked really well for guys like Myles and Steven Wilson when going towards a way left field direction in their music. Why do I feel like the songs I hear nowadays from bands like Daughtry, Shinedown, Skillet, Papa Roach, etc. does not work well for them when going into another direction?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Not really a fan...I liked some songs on Baptized, but this is even more of a departure from the band's original sound than that album was.

Wish they stuck with the sound they were building towards on Leave This Town, but oh well. Feel like I end up saying this with half the bands I listened to in high school. At least Tremonti sticks to his roots. :lol

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

I think it works more for Daughtry more than the others. Chris's voice is a little better than the other bands besides maybe Skillet or Jacoby from Papa Roach. Theory on the other hand have just gotten considerably bad. Not even close to the same band anymore.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Andy92 wrote:Not really a fan...I liked some songs on Baptized, but this is even more of a departure from the band's original sound than that album was.

Wish they stuck with the sound they were building towards on Leave This Town, but oh well. Feel like I end up saying this with half the bands I listened to in high school. At least Tremonti sticks to his roots. :lol
Leave This Town is a fantastic album. Wish they would go back to being an actual rock band because they were one of my favorites.