Steve Perry Releases First New Song in Nearly 25 Years

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Steve Perry Releases First New Song in Nearly 25 Years

Post by Jaded Rescue »

The voice is back! Sounds about as good as I could hope considering he's almost 70 years old.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: Steve Perry Releases First New Song in Nearly 25 Years

Post by gbruin »

Yeah, I was so excited when I saw this! It's so great to hear him, and he really looks like he's enjoying it in that video. I preordered his album immediately. It would be incredible to have Steve Perry back and performing again!
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Lots of cool bits about where he's been and why's he making music again.

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

It's nice to see somebody else on these forums who is a Steve Perry fan. Journey basically broke up three years before I was even born even though they came back for Trial by Fire in 1996. I was far too young at the time to get into any of their music but once I got older and really developed a strong musical education I realized just how special not only journey but Steve Perry in particular is. In the last two weeks I've heard him referred to as an enigma and I really think he is, to be out of the business and the spotlight for 25 years and still be able to have everyone talking about him for so long after his departure says a lot about the effect that he has had on people.

Not taking anything away from Arnel or the rest of the band but they are getting by performing songs Steve Perry had a big hand in writing and was solely responsible for singing, Steve is what made these songs famous, that is what people want to hear and because Steve hasn't been around, they take the closest thing they can get. Once again it goes to show just how much his music has affected people, and how loved he is by so many.Years ago I saw the videos on YouTube of Steve performing with The Eels and sure the songs were tuned down and he wasn't hitting the soaring high notes that he used to but I'll be totally honest with you I didn't care one bit and it really didn't matter, just his voice singing those songs, any songs at all for that matter was fantastic.

I also preordered one of the bundles of his new album, signed physical CD pair of socks, couple of other things in their I can't remember and man am I really looking forward to it. I know he doesn't know if he's going to tour behind the album, to be honest I really don't expect it, and if he doesn't I'm sure his fans including myself will be perfectly happy with just the fact that we got new music from him after such a long period of time when we thought he was completely done with the music business. If he does tour though, I don't care if it's in coffee houses I will definitely do everything I can even more so than going to see Alter Bridge honestly to go see Steve Perry. He seems like such a warm down-to-earth human being and I feel like at this stage of his life he would have a lot of stories to tell to make any shows that he does feel that much more personable, how could you not want to go see that.

His new single is absolutely fantastic by the way he's got such a wonderful rasp to his voice, very reminiscent of Sam Cooke who was a big influence on him he's got one of those rare voices that gets better with age, it's really amazing when you consider that for the last 25 years pretty, much the man has not sang a single song.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Totally agreed with both of you guys!

I would love to see Steve Perry on tour. I really hope he does a small one, at the very least.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I love the little headbang he does near the end :D

I've got a feeling that he'll do a small tour, and the closest thing we'll get to a Journey reunion will be Neil Schon joining him and his touring band for a song.

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

Dan Dando wrote:I love the little headbang he does near the end :D

I've got a feeling that he'll do a small tour, and the closest thing we'll get to a Journey reunion will be Neil Schon joining him and his touring band for a song.

All we can do is hope that he will do a small tour. Now as far as Neal joining him at all, as much as I would absolutely love to see it happen I really don't think it will. Even if they do everything they can to emphasize that in no way does this mean that Steve will be back in Journey I think the end result will be a tremendous amount of pressure to make the latter happen, which is exactly what Steve does not want. He seems to have absolutely no problem giving credit where credit is due and praising his former bandmates, but he doesn't want to take the focus off of his new music. In one of his recent interviews he even went as far as to say he has more songs that he wants to record and release, that statement hopefully means that this will not be the last we hear from Steve Perry and I can completely understand his reluctance to have any association with his former bandmates collaboratively speaking as I think that it would take focus off of any future planned solo projects. With all of that being said, if Neal actually did show up at a show unannounced unadvertised for one song or two and he did it a few times peppered through a small tour not only would it instantly sell out all future shows after one clip ends up on YouTube but hard-core Journey fans would go insane, myself included

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I'm with ya, TF4L. I'd go nuts to see Neal and Steve together again, but I don't really see it happening either. There was so much momentum after their Rock n Roll Hall of Fame ceremony when they appeared together for the first time in like 20 years and they got along fantastically and Steve was so gracious in his comments about Neal specifically and the history of Journey as a whole, but in recent interviews both Steve and Neal have said they haven't spoken since then. It doesn't seem to be out of any animosity but more that they have just gone their - separate ways - again and are busy with their own things. We shall see...

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

3:40 onwards - good stuff! :)

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Here's a nice little Christmas present from the Voice...

Steve Perry - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas