Metallica

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Metallica

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Any Metallica fans here? With Hardwired... to Self-Destruct being released soon, I figured I'd start a thread to discuss. What are everyone's thoughts so far on "Hardwired", "Moth Into the Flame", and "Atlas, Rise"?

I wish they'd use some more aggressive guitar tones, but I am liking the new stuff quite a bit.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Metallica

Post by The Plotblocker »

Jaded Rescue wrote:Any Metallica fans here? With Hardwired... to Self-Destruct being released soon, I figured I'd start a thread to discuss. What are everyone's thoughts so far on "Hardwired", "Moth Into the Flame", and "Atlas, Rise"?

I wish they'd use some more aggressive guitar tones, but I am liking the new stuff quite a bit.
Yeah man, bit 'tallica fan here. Am hoping to get down to London tomorrow to meet them around the HMV when they do midnight release signings. But probably won't happen.
The 3 songs out so far are all pretty good. Moth is definitely my pick of the bunch. Hardwired was a nice return to thrash, but bores me a bit. Atlas, Rise! is pretty damn epic, and I do not hear the so called Iron Maiden rip off so many are bitching about.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Atlas, Rise! is my favorite of the 3 singles. I'd rank Moth Into the Flame 2nd. Hardwired was just okay in my opinion. Looking forward to hearing the full album, overall the singles have been very promising.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

I'm debating whether I like Atlas or Moth more (I might be leaning Atlas). I have to say, however, that when I heard those lead harmonies in the beginning of Moth my jaw dropped, and my first thought was just a big, resounding, "METALLICAAAAA!!"

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Haven't heard the entire album yet, but Spit Out The Bone is fantastic.. That bridge could easily become one of my favorite Metallica moments ever. I'm talking about the "stop breathing" part (and the instrumental part before it). Severely impressed with Hetfield on this song.

Moth and Spit Out The Bone are both really good. I'm a bit underwhelmed with the other two songs..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

For anyone with SiriusXM, Channel 40 (Liquid Metal) is now Mandatory Metallica for the next week. Nothing but Metallica songs.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Yeah, must say after hearing it again today I think Atlas, Rise is my fave of the 3 singles.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Man. I just read an interview where Metallica says they're allegedly gonna do some real US touring next year.

Better start saving now. Gonna be Guns N' Roses ticket prices, yeah?

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Ah well, guess we can discuss more tracks here now they have put all the vids out. HALO ON FIRE!!!!! That song is so fucking epic! Second fave atm is Here Comes Revenge.

Nicklord
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Nicklord »

Spit out the bone is THE song of the album.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

Still absorbing a lot of the music, but my early impression after a couple listens through everything is that this is easily their best album since ReLoad. Might be their best since TBA.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I agree, personally think it's their best since The Black Album. Has similarities to Death Magnetic, but the overall quality/songwriting is a significant upgrade.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Yeah, definitely their best work since TBA! Me and one of my mates is a HUUUUGE Metallica fan (a real one too, who likes all their stuff, not one of the first album only elitist douches) and we both agreed on that. It is just a solid album from start to finish. My only complaint (shockingly) is Lars. Usually I am quick to defend the guys drumming, because, although he is not the best, his style and sound works for Metallica and would sound wrong without him. But this time it is just soooo fucking loud and boring throughout, and the only interesting things he does (mainly in Now That We're Dead) are quite clearly copied and pasted. But, overall a good album, one I have been playing a lot since it leaked on Monday. Now I have my hard copy, the 3rd disc is a nice addition. Decent mix of Lords of Summer finally, and that aweseomly tight Record Store Day show they did to promote the Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightening reissues.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's an okay album, but it's way too long. Spit Out The Bone, Moth Into Flame and Halo On Fire are all amazing, but especially on the second disk there are a lot of fillers.

I honestly don't think this album was worth the 8 years wait, or at least doesn't live up to it.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

"Too long" is a term that is meaningless to me when it comes to albums. Most are too short. People tend to forget that the main, and pretty much only reason albums used to be short was due to the time constraints of vinyl. We are WAY past that restriction now. 60-80 minutes is, for me, the best length to be aiming for. Anything shorter just feels like an EP or demo.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

To each their own. I find albums longer than 60 minutes simply too lenghty unless there is some great variety on them, and let's face it - you can't have a lot of diversity with Metallica. That's why The Last Hero should have been shorter with its level of variety.

And 'demo' determines the quality not the length.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Dolo wrote:To each their own. I find albums longer than 60 minutes simply too lenghty unless there is some great variety on them, and let's face it - you can't have a lot of diversity with Metallica. That's why The Last Hero should have been shorter with its level of variety.

And 'demo' determines the quality not the length.
Not these days it doesn't. It's not even hard to get a studio level demo done. Shit, people do it on their home computers now days.

Also I do not think The Last Hero is too long by any stretch. Yeah, I would drop one song from the track listing, but then I would replace it with Symphony of Agony, so the length would not change. Remember, one mans filler is anothers killer ;)

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Timotheus wrote:It's an okay album, but it's way too long. Spit Out The Bone, Moth Into Flame and Halo On Fire are all amazing, but especially on the second disk there are a lot of fillers.

I honestly don't think this album was worth the 8 years wait, or at least doesn't live up to it.
h8r

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The Plotblocker wrote:"Too long" is a term that is meaningless to me when it comes to albums. Most are too short. People tend to forget that the main, and pretty much only reason albums used to be short was due to the time constraints of vinyl. We are WAY past that restriction now. 60-80 minutes is, for me, the best length to be aiming for. Anything shorter just feels like an EP or demo.
40-50 minutes is the perfect length for me. If it's anything longer than that, it needs to be very special. To Pimp A Butterfly / Electric Ladyland / The Wall kind of special. This album, sadly, is not that special. It has good moments, but those good moments would've been more impactful if you didn't have to filter through all the filler.
Andy92 wrote:h8r
Come at me, bro.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Timotheus wrote: 40-50 minutes is the perfect length for me. If it's anything longer than that, it needs to be very special. To Pimp A Butterfly / Electric Ladyland / The Wall kind of special. This album, sadly, is not that special. It has good moments, but those good moments would've been more impactful if you didn't have to filter through all the filler.
Really digging the album, despite the length, but I have to agree with this -- excess for the sake of excess doesn't create a better product. I understand that there are some people who just like to deep dive and indulge in sheer quantity of tracks, but the overall experience of a singular album is worth something, I think.

I mean: would you prefer that "Blackbird" was 15 minutes long, just because you want more of it? Or do you accept that the artists actually curated it to be the best, most clear representation of the piece it could be?