The Official Art of Anarchy Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
nagpo
On The Rail

Re: The Official Art of Anarchy Thread

Post by nagpo »

austin. wrote:You guys worried me with Somber. The demo was moodier yes but the production on this is fantastic.
I think it's overproduced. The original somber works so well because it's so raw. New version is flashier and stapps voice has something over it

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

@nagpo : thanks for all those details. So basically, Stapp brought 3 solo songs he had written with external songwriters.

One thing that really struck me on first listen was the clarity in his voice during Afterburn. I don't know if it's been digitally enhanced during the mix, but his voice is crystal clear. Stopping smoking was one of the best decisions he made in the recent years, and it's paying off big time.

Also, I was surprised by the industrial feel at the beginning of 1000 Degrees. It almost feels like a Rammstein song for a short while ! That's the kind of stuff that I would have never expected on a Stapp record.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

The album is okay. Stapp's voice is awkwardly produced in some points.

Echo of a scream is okay, it doesn't do much for me.
1000 Degrees is just weird to me, I don't like the way its sung or the lyrics.
No Surrender is one of my favorite songs on the record.
The Madness is great, but I'm so used to it now that it doesn't do much for me anymore
Won't Let You Down is cheesy, but okay. I don't like the way stapp sings some of this song.
Changed Man is so cliche Stapp and reminds me too much of Away In Silence.
A Light in Me is a good song, It's nothing special but a solid rock tune.
Somber....I liked the demo of Somber so much more. This version is so overproduced and awkwardly sung that it takes away from the emotion it could truly have, but its still a good song. Lyrically, I love it.
Dancing With the Devil is probably my favorite song on the record. It's badass and fun
Afterburn is cool. I don't really like the chorus but the rest of the song is cool.
Thanks Andy!

number1
Bought The CDs

Post by number1 »

Here is my humble review of the album

1. Echo of a Scream
Who would have thought Scott would do a screamo? As expected, a high energy intro.
2. 1000 Degree
Love the stomping sound at the intro. This song makes me think of the raise of a new gang in town leaving trails of destruction in their path. Awesome sound track for a movie. Someone tell Hollywood. This should be released as the single.
3. No Surrender
It plays to Scott strength which is anthemic rock and progressive vocal dynamic. I just wish the guitar solo was more elaborate and soar into a crescendo. Still love it though.
4. The Madness
For a single that reintroduce AoA with a new vocalist I think it has done its work. It is an okay song with catchy rhythm but somehow it made me initially expected less from the rest of album.
5. Won’t Let You Down
WLYD ironically let me down. The verses and chorus sounded weak.
6. Changed Man
Nice pop rock ballad but does not suit the sound of the album at all. It should be released in the milder works of Scott solo band.
7. Light in Me
It is an okay song but nothing special.
8. Somber
This version is better on the drum and more works on the guitar. But like some of you here I love the demo version more because of how raw it felt especially on the vocal part. Plus the way the guitar dance around the vocal in the demo was perfect.
9. Dancing with the Devil
My favourite of the album. Love the cowboy country sound. This is how good JWARS would sound if the lyric was not too bland. Weird thing is both are country rock sound but one is about Jesus and this is about Devil.
10. Afterburn
Also my favourite of the album. Love the eerie howling wind sound followed by some trash metal solos. The drum is fantastic. Is it me or does anyone else think of tornado? The solos kind of reminds me Flight of the Bumble Bees too.

The overall sound of the album is high energy. Scott voice is definitely a lot better than in his previous record. Love Vince drum works throughout the album. Ron and Jon showed their prowess despite initial concern of them being limited. Moyer bass sound is quite drown up by the rest of the music though.

p/s I wonder how the tour set list will look like. 10 songs is too short for a concert.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

number1 wrote: p/s I wonder how the tour set list will look like. 10 songs is too short for a concert.
Yeah, I guess they could try doing songs from their last record but I doubt it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

They could always play some covers (although I'd stay away from Creed and STP songs).
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Listened to the album today at work. It's one of Stapp's better albums in a few years even though the songs are pretty generic. It's way better than Proof of Life, and I think Stapp sounds better vocally on this than he did on Full Circle (even though Full Circle was better instrumentally). So overall, Stapp's best performance vocally on an album in about 10 years. Most of the songs are just kind of average though, most of them being in the 6-7 out of 10 range.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Yeah its a decent but largely forgettable album. Nothing wrong with it - all very listenable. Changed Man is insanely catchy and I really like Dancing With The Devil and Afterburn. In fact, I think the 2nd half of the album is stronger than the first.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

They're shooting a video for Echo of a Scream :
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSPxyoeh096/

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Another acoustic rendition of the Madness.
I preferred the previous one from a few months ago, but it's interesting to watch, since Stapp is pushing his voice at the 3 minute mark.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

http://masiweb.net/eddietrunk/index.php ... t=allshows
Here is a link to listen to Ron Thal's interview with Eddie Trunk. Stapp can be heard from the 19th minute up until the 40th and I thought this was an interesting quote for him :
There will still be involvement in other endeavours, as well as AoA. You don't have to let go of one for the other.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

Wow, I'm Scott's biggest vocal critic and for The Madness, he actually sounds excellent. His voice isn't getting all "whiny" like it normally does when he strains. That's like classic 90s Stapp. Now go and re-record the album minus Changed Man, throw those master tapes from the highest mountain into the deepest body of water you can find

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Shortman45
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Shortman45 »

Someone posted the Rock into Spring videos.

Echo of a Scream

...and more from same channel

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

they sound great

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

nagpo wrote:they sound great
Well, i think they sound awful. Not tight at all.

alterbridge86
Brand New Start

Post by alterbridge86 »

This got posted ~2 weeks ago but just stumbled across it now, never saw an official post or anything from the band...

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Yeah I saw that too. I wonder where the actual video is

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »