Band Suggestions needed

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
endofsilence93
Bought The CDs

Band Suggestions needed

Post by endofsilence93 »

Hi I hope it wouldn't be a big deal if I asked people here for some band suggestions. Two bands I had in mind were:

1. King Crimson- Just finished listening to their Court of The Crimson King album and I just wanted to know if there was any bands that I could check out that have similar sound.

2. Omnium Gatherum- I really loved their instruments on the last album the most. So I just wanted some bands similiar but maybe with a little more clean vocals.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Band Suggestions needed

Post by Timotheus »

endofsilence93 wrote:1. King Crimson- Just finished listening to their Court of The Crimson King album and I just wanted to know if there was any bands that I could check out that have similar sound.
Big Crimson fan here. If you're new to the 70's prog rock sound I'd give bands like Yes, Genesis and Jethro Tull a try. I personally don't think any of them have done it as well as King Crimson. Classic case of "done first, done best" (is that an actual expression?) I guess, but all wonderful bands of course.

For modern bands I'd recommend The Tangent. I'm not too familiar with all their work, but when it comes to sound they get pretty damn close. They've done a pretty good cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dk44XaX88w

Steven Wilson often gets accused of sounding much like those classic prog rock bands, King Crimson in particular. I personally don't think it's that close, but you might as well give it a try (if you haven't already), considering I really like his music ;) On The Raven That Refused To Sing he used the exact same mellotron that King Crimson used on their debut, and it's probably Steven Wilson's most 70's album, so I'd recommend that one for you.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Re: Band Suggestions needed

Post by poshisjarker »

Yes i second Yes :human (and Jethro Tull...they're awesome too)
-their album The Yes Album is my favorite prog rock album. most go with Fragile or Close To The Edge (both also great) but i prefer TYA

Also yes timo yes....Raven That Refused to Sing all the way! Such an inspiring album.

A couple other bands I'll throw into the fold: 1) Beardfish and 2) Haken
Haken's The Mountain came out a few yrs ago and i think it's one of the best prog albums ever put out
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"