Music that has not been done yet

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Music that has not been done yet

Post by cheesedip1 »

Remember when songs like "How much is that puppy in the window?" were popular?

Nowadays those songs are all considered cheezy. SAme with certain childrens songs.

Who knows, maybe someday music we cant even imagine yet will be created.......

This is a good example:
http://www.allmusic.com/album/philosoph ... 0000602385

You can say they are a bad band, but you gotta admit, they ARE original. There's sort of a method to the madness.

Someday maybe we will all be listening to music that we cant comprehend or even imagine (by todays standards).

Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: Music that has not been done yet

Post by Dolo »

Since when singing off-key and playing guitars that are out of tune is considered original?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Not always, but sometimes with dissonant music there is a method to the madness. Like a unity to the random playings.

I was going to name that one famous piano player known for dissonant music but sadly I forgot his name.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I mean, I love some dissonant stuff that a lot of progressive, ambient, death metal groups do, but in this case it's done specifically and blatantly to annoy.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

There's nothing new about the band you posted. This has been done repeatedly by bands that just started out.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Lol poor cheesedip. Any time he tries to start a discussion people just nitpick his posts.

To actually discuss what you were aiming for, I'm reminded of something I read about early distortion effects for guitars. If I recall correctly (and if the article was true because I can't seem to find the same origin story now) the know-how for how to create distortion using gain was known earlier than it was used but it wasn't utilized because it wasn't considered a desirable sound. If this is the case, it plays into exactly the type of example you're talking about.

I think for now we've plateaued. With the creation of electricity we were eventually able to generate a new set of instruments that changed modern music. Then, with the creation of software we were able to once again change the face of modern music with synthetic sounds. For now I think we're on a hiatus until the next big thing comes along and I think this next big thing will, in turn, shape the future of music. Of course you will see wacky tech like this https://vimeo.com/111662253 or hybrids / updates of existing instruments & tech like this

but you won't see something like that develop widespread use, and even if it does, it still sounds the same without the visual as what we can make now. Currently, there's some interesting tech being demoed that can create haptic holograms with ultrasound, or in other words, a hologram you can feel. It's possible that technology such as this might eventually be able to resonate air on its own and become the next breakthrough but who knows.

Alternatively, quantum computing might be the next breakthrough. What I mean by this is that there are actually programs that attempt to figure out objectively what makes appreciated music special and can actually write their own music after processing it. If you don't listen to NPR's RadioLab, I'd highly encourage it, but they did an episode on one such program. You can listen to it here and actually hear some of the program's compositions http://www.radiolab.org/story/91515-musical-dna/
I'm a little bummed because I think the special I heard was closer to an hour but that was the only one I could find. Either way, it's cool stuff. Additionally there is a RadioLab episode that analyzes tonal language from a musical aspect http://www.radiolab.org/story/91512-musical-language/

In tandem these could be a powerful combination. In essence, we can learn what audio input is more pleasing to our minds, even through monitoring of live brain activity, and with advanced enough algorithms and powerful enough computation, we could possibly get digital masterpieces churned out as fast as you want them. Of course this is a bit far fetched but in the realm of possibility for the indefinite future? Maybe!

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Now that I think about it, Kaki King plays guitar in a unique way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UqV_5rVTNc

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t1WX9WXQZg

Try this out, guys...this is about the most original music i've heard in the last few years. Still blows my mind just as much as it did when i heard it the first time. Just beautiful beyond words. Trust me
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Hey, I like it. It sounds good.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Aww, I love that guy. My brother is a huge fan and makes me listen to his music all the time.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

DMM is such a boss...he's one of those guys who doesn't believe in musical boundaries or boxes. That whole bunch of composers...they're all wonderful. Plini is another good example...freaking Plini...Sweet Nothings is forever one of my favorites
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"