Evening music recommendations

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Evening music recommendations

Post by BSC »

Hey guys,

Nowadays I find I'm quite particular about what kind of music I listen to at particular times in the day. In the mornings on my walk to work it'll be more acoustic stuff, on my walk home from work I'll listen to metal. Once I'm back from work I'll listen to whatever I feel like at the time, although in the evenings I pretty much always listen to something a lot more chilled out. I was wondering whether anyone has any recommendations for music suited to an evening?

Here's what I tend to listen to in the evenings:
Chris Cornell (particularly Higher Truth)
Steven Wilson
Richie Kotzen
Pearl Jam
Riverside
The Pineapple Thief
Porcupine Tree
Some cheesey Bon Jovi ballads
Probably the odd chilled out/ballad song from bands like Alter Bridge or Black Stone Cherry

So what do you guys listen to in the evening, is there anything you think I should listen to?
Last edited by BSC on Wed May 04, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Evening music recommendations

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

My ears are forced to listen to Tremonti pretty much 24/7 by my brain so Evening Music would be Tremonti!

\m/Tremonster\m/
White Knuckled

Post by \m/Tremonster\m/ »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:My ears are forced to listen to Tremonti pretty much 24/7 by my brain so Evening Music would be Tremonti!
Same here! :mtrocks

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I usually listen to hard rock on my drives to and from work, so I like listening to more laid back music in the evenings too. Bands like Lifehouse and Switchfoot come to mind. Sometimes I like listening to bands I got into years ago when I first started buying my own CDs and stuff for nostalgic reasons. That can be cool to relax to. For me I'll listen to Yellowcard and some other bands from the early 2000s. Might have some luck just going through your music collection and picking out stuff that you used to love but have grown away from some over the years.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

\m/Tremonster\m/
White Knuckled

Post by \m/Tremonster\m/ »

My long time favourite band has been Snow Patrol. Been a family favourite for years. Still haven't forgotten seeing them live in Edmonton!

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

Here's two...The Police-Synchronicity album (perfect for afternoon/evening vibes) and Aaron Copland stuff (just freaking beautiful and full of life...I find it's great evening music for me)...specifically the Antal Dorati w/Detroit Symphony Orchestra album. That's the one I recommend. They perform some of Copland's best compositions to perfection
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Chilled out music. I went through my favorites on Spotify and tried to pick a few that loosely fit your description. I tried to stay away from the typical singer/songwriters.

Radiohead
Elbow
Sigur Ros
Bon Iver
Fleet Foxes
The National
Matt Corby
Anathema
Kamasi Washinton (laid back jazz)
Nils Frahm (instrumental, really moody and relaxing)
Daughter (if you're into super depressive music)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

mockingbird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mockingbird »

Do you have Spotify? I can share a nice indie pop/dreampop playlist!

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

I agree with the nostalgia comment. Pearl Jam are my all time favourite band, and whenever I listen to them I'm reminded of the days when I was still in school discovering them, and it was a really exciting time. I remember saving my money to buy their albums, although I wouldn't say I've grown away from them, I just don't listen to them as often.

I forgot to mention that both Ian Thornley (Big Wreck) and Bruce Soord (The Pineapple Thief) have really relaxing solo albums. Jeff Buckley's Grace is probably one of my favourite albums, which I listen to every Sunday evening.

I'll try to work through all of your recommendations when I get a moment. I remember trying to listen to Anathema and Matt Corby (I remember listening to some of his Jeff Buckley covers) and not being too impressed, although I'll listen again.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Ludovico Einaudi

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

A few ideas:
melodic end of industrial/electronica - IWNBTS: http://iwnbts.bandcamp.com/album/standby & http://iwnbts.bandcamp.com/album/tornadoes-2
new album out soon

Beck - Morning Phase

Mark Lanegan

HBS - In Deep Owl
(Ben from Soundgarden)

Peter Murphy - Dust - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwmB6Xc4A9Y

Jeff Buckley you mentioned already
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2