Gojira

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Gojira

Post by riemslag1 »

Impressive gig in Cologne. Really beginning to like this band !

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

That recorded live show with Alter Bridge is really excellent. They're a strange band to be touring with Alter Bridge that's for sure, I know that Mark and Myles are huge fans but the crowd don't appear to be responding to them too well. Saying that, I'm glad they didn't shy away from playing songs like Backbone and Toxic Garbage Island. I watched Gojira's performance from Brutal Assault and Joe's voice was very strained, so it's good to hear that he's doing alright. I can't wait to see these guys in 2017.

Magma is my favourite album of this year, I think it's an exceptionally well-crafted album. The first half of the album appears to be the heavy straight-forward half and the second half is the more experimental progressive half. I love how the two instrumentals act as a brief respite from the album. The songs are certainly more straightforward but the Gojira sound is still there and there are so many great nuggets of Mario's drumming littered throughout the album which you don't tend to notice on the first few listens.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

3.5 YEAR THREAD BUMP!!

I've been listening to Gojira the last 2 weeks or so after deciding to give them a try. I've known about Gojira for a few years, from either TABN or FB or Mark and Myles who are big fans :lol But I never gave Gojira the time of day because of the vocal style of Joe, but instrumentally I never had an issue with them.. But now I'm at a point where I can listen to bands with harsher vocals and not be bothered by some of them so I figured why not just give them a go. :lol

I started with From Mars To Sirius for my first record because of how much attention songs like Flying Whales or Heaviest Matter of The Universe got on YouTube when it came to reaction channels (Lost In Vegas, anyone? :lol ) And I kept listening to that record on repeat the first week before branching out. :lol

Next I listened to The Way of All Flesh and yet again I was just amazed. L'Enfant Sauvage followed by Magma were to other two records I checked out from them but havent bothered to listen to their earlier stuff. :shrug :lol

I also never expected Gojira to be the kind of band to sing about the kind of lyrical themes I see branching throughout their catalogue; i.e themes of life, death, rebirth, spirituality, and nature...Which is ironic that I'd discover Gojira/a band mostly singing about these topics now given what's been going on at home in my personal life but lets just say its strangely connected :shifty :wtf

But all in all. I'm kind of kicking myself in the teeth for not giving them a shot earlier and just dismissing them based off something like how the vocals might sound :/ :lol

P.S - Mario Duplantier is drumming god :bow

Current Top 10
1. FLYING WHALES :cloud9 :headbang :rockon The G.O.A.T
2. The Art of Dying
3. Where Dragons Dwell
4. The Gift of Guilt
5. Born In Winter
6. In The Wilderness
7. Esoteric Surgery
8. The Heaviest Matter of the Universe
9. The Silver Cord
10. Oroborus

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:3.5 YEAR THREAD BUMP!!

I've been listening to Gojira the last 2 weeks or so after deciding to give them a try. I've known about Gojira for a few years, from either TABN or FB or Mark and Myles who are big fans :lol But I never gave Gojira the time of day because of the vocal style of Joe, but instrumentally I never had an issue with them.. But now I'm at a point where I can listen to bands with harsher vocals and not be bothered by some of them so I figured why not just give them a go. :lol

I started with From Mars To Sirius for my first record because of how much attention songs like Flying Whales or Heaviest Matter of The Universe got on YouTube when it came to reaction channels (Lost In Vegas, anyone? :lol ) And I kept listening to that record on repeat the first week before branching out. :lol

Next I listened to The Way of All Flesh and yet again I was just amazed. L'Enfant Sauvage followed by Magma were to other two records I checked out from them but havent bothered to listen to their earlier stuff. :shrug :lol

I also never expected Gojira to be the kind of band to sing about the kind of lyrical themes I see branching throughout their catalogue; i.e themes of life, death, rebirth, spirituality, and nature...Which is ironic that I'd discover Gojira/a band mostly singing about these topics now given what's been going on at home in my personal life but lets just say its strangely connected :shifty :wtf

But all in all. I'm kind of kicking myself in the teeth for not giving them a shot earlier and just dismissing them based off something like how the vocals might sound :/ :lol

P.S - Mario Duplantier is drumming god :bow

Current Top 10
1. FLYING WHALES :cloud9 :headbang :rockon The G.O.A.T
2. The Art of Dying
3. Where Dragons Dwell
4. The Gift of Guilt
5. Born In Winter
6. In The Wilderness
7. Esoteric Surgery
8. The Heaviest Matter of the Universe
9. The Silver Cord
10. Oroborus
Happy to hear you got into Gojira. The group chat has been telling you to do that for years!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Happy to hear you got into Gojira. The group chat has been telling you to do that for years!
Better late than never, right? :lol

What are your Top 10s, Duane?

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Gojira fucking rules! Thank you, Myles for wearing a Gojira shirt during an acoustic performance that one time!

Here is my Top 10...

1. Backbone
2. Esoteric Surgery
3. Only Pain
4. Flying Whales
5. Space Time
6. The Heaviest Matter of The Universe
7. The Cell
8. Explosia
9. Silvera
10. All The Tears

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

The new single rocks! It reminds me of Only Pain and Oroborus and L'Enfant Sauvage all shook up in a bag!

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Yes, but a bit less 'heavy'. I like it and the production seems solid. Can't wait for more! :)