Music song structures

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Music song structures

Post by fix »

I agree with that just listing different song structures is kinda pointless. Discussing the 'function' of a part (like a verse/chorus/bridge) within a song is pretty interesting though. But it looks like the discussion is leading there haha. Loved some of the song suggestions you guys gave, thanks for that. :)

I say that while I'm listening to the new Between The Buried And Me album. Talking about 'loose' song structures....

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

fix wrote: I say that while I'm listening to the new Between The Buried And Me album. Talking about 'loose' song structures....
I've also listened to that, as well as the majority of BTBAM's catalogue over the last month of so and it's even 'too loose' in their case, because there is nothing you can grab onto. The art of songwriting is to create something unorthodox but still make it sound like a musical composition and I don't know if BTBAM's should be brought as an example here.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Dolo wrote:
fix wrote: I say that while I'm listening to the new Between The Buried And Me album. Talking about 'loose' song structures....
I've also listened to that, as well as the majority of BTBAM's catalogue over the last month of so and it's even 'too loose' in their case, because there is nothing you can grab onto. The art of songwriting is to create something unorthodox but still make it sound like a musical composition and I don't know if BTBAM's should be brought as an example here.
Whether you like them or not, I do think they have some great compositions. I really enjoy songs like “Voice of Trespass”. But let’s not derail this topic haha.
It wasn’t meant as an example per se, but more a funny coincidence that I tried to apply this topic to the song I was listening...to no avail obviously. ;)

About the ‘no hooks’ thing, I do think it helps a song if there is a recurring melody of sorts. Doesn’t have to be a chorus, but can be a guitar melody or a cowbell for all that matters. To make the above more relevant, what is missing from BTBAM sometimes is that recurring melody that ties it all together. A hook, so to speak. ;)

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

fix wrote: About the ‘no hooks’ thing, I do think it helps a song if there is a recurring melody of sorts. Doesn’t have to be a chorus, but can be a guitar melody or a cowbell for all that matters. To make the above more relevant, what is missing from BTBAM sometimes is that recurring melody that ties it all together. A hook, so to speak. ;)
'Millions' off of 'Automata I' has a great classical guitar hook after each chorus.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I'm a big believer of letting songs go wherever they are required to go. Some need the A/B/A/B/C/B structure and some require more extension. It's my one gripe with AB is that aaaallllways needs to be 3 choruses. What about Bohemian Rhapsody? 2112? Hessian Peel?

A structure can be a useful tool but, unless you're purposefully writing to a genre format, one that should be used for transcribing AFTER the writing process for purpose of re-learning. Not one to write to.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Dolo wrote:
fix wrote: About the ‘no hooks’ thing, I do think it helps a song if there is a recurring melody of sorts. Doesn’t have to be a chorus, but can be a guitar melody or a cowbell for all that matters. To make the above more relevant, what is missing from BTBAM sometimes is that recurring melody that ties it all together. A hook, so to speak. ;)
'Millions' off of 'Automata I' has a great classical guitar hook after each chorus.
Nowt wrong with hooks. Even if they're only repeated once or twice, it just means you've written a damn good melody.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Crumbso wrote:I'm a big believer of letting songs go wherever they are required to go. Some need the A/B/A/B/C/B structure and some require more extension. It's my one gripe with AB is that aaaallllways needs to be 3 choruses. What about Bohemian Rhapsody? 2112? Hessian Peel?

A structure can be a useful tool but, unless you're purposefully writing to a genre format, one that should be used for transcribing AFTER the writing process for purpose of re-learning. Not one to write to.
Amen! I think part of what made me not dig The Last Hero so much is just, I looked at the song titles, and then pretty much without fail, I would know before hearing the song, exactly how that title was going to fit into the lyrics (spoiler alert: in the Big Fucking Chorus on every song).
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.