The Official BLACK STONE CHERRY Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Jim
Blood Machines

Re: The Official BLACK STONE CHERRY Thread

Postby Jim » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:34 pm

Yeah....

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Postby anguyen92 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:11 pm

Apparently, Kentucky on MP3 is on Amazon for only $5 for a limited time and it just so happens I have $5 left on my Amazon gift card making this a no-brainer of a buy. Album still holds up nicely and it's still my 2nd favorite album of 2016.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Postby One Drew Remains » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:42 pm

My favorite they have done since Folklore.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Postby Mr. Slash » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:25 pm

New album out on April 4th. Four hundred and twenty blaze it bruh. So edgeyyyy. Here is the first single:

Sounds super boring to me.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Postby Timotheus » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:50 pm

Not a good thing when it burns down there..

I liked the bridge/solo. For the rest pretty meh indeed. I surprisingly liked their last effort, so I'm hoping for some nice songs on this one.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Postby Mr. Slash » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:36 am

Album is out. Pretty much the worst album BSC have ever released imho.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Postby anguyen92 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:23 am

I heard it. I think it's an ok album. I didn't quite enjoy it as much as Kentucky. Maybe, I'm not a fan of the blues influence here as I thought I would. I probably would want a little bit more of that southern rock (is there a big of a difference between southern rock and blues rock?) meets that modern hard rock/post-grunge/alternative metal catchiness, but that's just me. I did enjoy Family Tree (the song) and Dancin' in the Rain (adding Warren Haynes from Gov't Mule was a great touch and they gelled well together).

That stated, I still find the Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea and Magic Mountain (now if they had the foresight back then, they should have released Magic Mountain yesterday instead) to be the worst BSC albums. Family Tree on the lower end. Self-titled, Kentucky, and Folklore and Superstition as the best ones for me.

Still, this is better than what bands like Shinedown, FFDP, and Godsmack will offer this year, I feel.

Kreuger
Bought The CDs

Postby Kreuger » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:23 pm

I heard one or two songs. After the last album took a step back toward their first two in sound, I was hopeful. But it's clear to me they will never surpass those two albums. What a shame. So much wasted potential.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Postby anguyen92 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:39 am

Kreuger wrote:I heard one or two songs. After the last album took a step back toward their first two in sound, I was hopeful. But it's clear to me they will never surpass those two albums. What a shame. So much wasted potential.

I don't know why you have to word it as "wasted potential." You can say that you don't like the album for whatever reasons. No one forced them to make this kind of album. They wanted to go to that direction by themselves, which is quite admirable these days where bands that are their contemporaries want to either follow popular trends or cater to their fans. Heck, according to Chris Robertson, this the album that he wanted to be remembered for the most. I clearly disagree, but if a musician genuinely feels that way about their works even if some fans disagree, are the musicians wrong?

What's the album you want to be remembered for?
Black Stone Cherry - Family Tree

At this point in our career, I would say Family Tree, because it's the first time we've ever done a record completely on our own. The only thing that was done outside of Black Stone Cherry was the mastering, because mastering engineers are like aliens who do magic with fairy dust. We recorded and produced on our own with the engineer who worked on our debut album, and on the record we made when we were teenagers, Rock N' Roll Tape. John did the artwork, I mixed the record.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/bl ... ed-my-life

Family Tree is an album that they clearly were enthusiastic to make and one that they self-produced and didn't have any outside influences. It just happens to be an album that we don't like too much compared to Folklore and Superstition and Kentucky (I just like Kentucky that much).

Kreuger
Bought The CDs

Postby Kreuger » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:49 pm

Wasted potential because they clearly have talent but continue to put out garbage album after garbage album since the 3rd one.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Postby Mr. Slash » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:03 pm

Mark Tremonti just advertised the new album on his Twitter account. His "brothers from Black Stone Cherry." Lel

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Postby anguyen92 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:10 pm

Kreuger wrote:Wasted potential because they clearly have talent but continue to put out garbage album after garbage album since the 3rd one.

I respectfully disagree that Kentucky was a garbage album. I put Kentucky as almost on par with Folklore and Superstition. Almost.

Mr. Slash wrote:Mark Tremonti just advertised the new album on his Twitter account. His "brothers from Black Stone Cherry." Lel

I wonder if Tremonti would get the call to be support for a BSC UK arena tour in late 2018? Also, Mark's tweet about that implies that the album will be out this Friday (not last Friday), although his sense of timing when tweeting is usually not on point anyways.

Kreuger
Bought The CDs

Postby Kreuger » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:49 pm

It was certainly a step in the right direction but the fuzz sound got old fast

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Postby BSC » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:14 am

I find it difficult to say bad things about these guys, because I do really like them as a band and they're one of my favourite live bands (seen them six times). When Folklore and Superstition came out I was crazy about them. This was also around the time I joined this forum and couldn't think of a suitable username. However, this is the first album of theirs which I've not really paid any attention to. The singles that I've heard, Burning, Bad Habit, Southern Fried Friday night (seriously wtf?) and one other, do absolutely nothing to interest me or hook me in.

Black Stone Cherry have always had songs about girls, weed or nonsense, but the songs I refer to have previously had interesting instrumentation and are on albums which have songs that are actually about something. From what I've heard, this album just lacks any substance what so ever. I have a particular dislike of the song Bad Habit, it's about nothing noteworthy and has an incredibly stupid chorus 'She's my bad, bad, bad habit'. Have they not heard Hot for Teacher? I can't listen to Bad Habit without thinking of Hot for Teacher. Then there's that instrumental bridge which sounds like it's been absolutely wedged in to try and make the song a little bit more listenable. Bad Habit is the only memorable song I've heard from this album, and it's memorable for all the wrong reasons. I really do want to support these guys and their new work, but when I think of the songs that got me into BSC like Lonely Train, Maybe Someday or Blind Man, and then I listen to Bad Habit, it just makes me slightly sad.

These guys are one of my favourite live bands, but I'm not even sure whether I'll see them live the next time their in the UK. Every time I've seen them they've been able to improve on their show, but I'd be very surprised if they could top the 'evening with' format I saw last time, that was a great night. Their setlists now are very heavy on the latter albums as well.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Postby Mr. Slash » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:04 pm

BSC wrote:
Black Stone Cherry have always had songs about girls, weed or nonsense

Yea, but they also had more serious topics back in the days... With "Magic Mountain" their whole redneckish 420 blaze it bruh-style really kicked off.

Return to “Other Bands/Music”