The Official BLACK STONE CHERRY Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Re: The Official BLACK STONE CHERRY Thread

Post by Nick_917 »

"The Way of the Future" is technically not the first single. They just thought it was a cool track they wanted to release early. But anyway, I like it! If anyone remembers the rawness of their "Rock N' Roll Tape" demos, this kind of reminds me of it. I can safely say I think this album will top their last two. Will it top their first two? I think I'd like to hear some more first.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Just heard it. Not bad...solid. A step up from the last 2 albums (hopefully) and I agree with the above few posts that Folklore is their best album. Fingers crossed for this one...

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18gRZl8 ... e=youtu.be

The first official single "In Our Dreams"
I really like the guitar tone and mastering from what I've heard. AB should hook up with the guy who produced that album. The single is not bad either. Not as poppy as the older singles. Now I'm really hyped for the album.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I like the fuzz in both songs. A bluesy band should have some "fur." But I just hope it's not on everything. Diversity is what the last two albums were missing. I do think the songwriting sounds better. Possibly due to no label interference. Thinking about buying one of the presale bundles. The first 5k are autographed.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

The first two tracks are probably some of the best stuff I've heard from them since FOLKLORE, but neither of them can touch that album. Still, right direction.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to Black Stone Cherry at the moment, I remember when they released their last album they did a couple of interviews where they said it was a return to their roots, and strangely, they've been saying this new album is a return to their roots, although from what I've heard, it doesn't much very different from their last album?

I think Black Stone Cherry have forgotten that they had a certain groove on their earlier albums, there was a flair to the music that set them apart from most other modern hard rock bands (songs like Blind Man, Maybe Somebody and Crosstown Woman ring a bell), but they they just seem to be making typical non-stand out rock songs.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Believe me, it's going back to their roots.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

100%

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

https://www.facebook.com/blackstonecher ... 680280069/

Absolutely love this song. Beautifully recorded and produced.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

Timotheus wrote:https://www.facebook.com/blackstonecher ... 680280069/

Absolutely love this song. Beautifully recorded and produced.
I agree! Really great song. I like when a band can make their softer songs sound just as good if not better than their heavy songs.
"Whatever takes us away

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

"Rambler" is great. Actually pretty pumped for this album now.

Aside: noticed that Jasin Todd is (not coincidentally) the primary songwriter on "Rambler". God, I miss that guy. Remember when Shinedown were great?

Lukeage
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lukeage »

"The Way of the Future" - politically charged nonsense lyrics.
"In Our Dreams" - average.
"The Rambler" - dribble.

They made a big deal out of the whole thing, being dropped by Roadrunner and being back to their roots. But they still sound like a bunch of wannabe American radio rock try-hards now.

Roadrunner ruined Black Stone Cherry.

Everything after the second album has been like when your jack n' coke gets diluted by the water from the ice cubes.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I kind of agree with your third post, although, despite their third album was more radio friendly and concise, it still had some of that Black Stone Cherry flair.

They've got another new song out which is a step in the right direction.

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

I'm looking forward to their new album, especially after hearing "Soul Machine". They're doing what they want without the pressure or input of a major label, and I respect them for that. It may not sound "perfect" or like what you'd expect, but I think it'll grow on people. In the age of over-produced generic hard rock music, I think they will be able to stand out.

Here's an article that helped me like this album more and what they're doing...
http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-03-23/ ... -new-album
Last edited by Nick_917 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whatever takes us away

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Good article, this part though stands out to me.
This band has always been really harnessed on previous records. Our old label wanted us to sound a certain way for American radio, and we had to fight them the whole time to not sound like Nickelback. And we love Nickelback. We love those guys. But that’s not what we are.
I'm still a bit confused regarding Roadrunner Records. AB did not get any confrontation from Roadrunner or any producers like Howard Benson and the likes to get them to sound the way that the label wants them to appeal to a radio market. It was always the direction that Mark and Myles wanted to go and Elvis trying to tie it all together and Roadrunner seem to accept it. Also, Roadrunner has Dream Theater on the roster. The one band that can sound totally different and unconventional from a radio band. So how come BSC could not get that creative control in their last few albums?

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

Maybe Roadrunner saw the potential of BSC becoming more radio-friendly and wanted to try and harness that and control them more. It could be they didn't believe BSC could do well without creative input but thought AB could. It would make sense since BSC kind of came from nothing, whereas AB already had experience and star power. It is definitely a little confusing though.
"Whatever takes us away

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

devv88 wrote:"Rambler" is great. Actually pretty pumped for this album now.

Aside: noticed that Jasin Todd is (not coincidentally) the primary songwriter on "Rambler". God, I miss that guy. Remember when Shinedown were great?
Yeah man, he brought his acoustic guitar on to the bus after a show in Louisiana and played it for the BSC band guys and myself, just the 6 of us and it was absolutely ridiculous. We all cried, he was very humble. He played it once more and that was it; the guys wanted in on it and for a couple weeks following; they started working on fixing it up and changing things that were more appropriate to BSC.

It was a beautiful, wonderful rock n roll moment! Jasin deserves every speck of recognition from the world hearing this song because it's gorgeous

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

anguyen92 wrote:^^ Good article, this part though stands out to me.
This band has always been really harnessed on previous records. Our old label wanted us to sound a certain way for American radio, and we had to fight them the whole time to not sound like Nickelback. And we love Nickelback. We love those guys. But that’s not what we are.
I'm still a bit confused regarding Roadrunner Records. AB did not get any confrontation from Roadrunner or any producers like Howard Benson and the likes to get them to sound the way that the label wants them to appeal to a radio market. It was always the direction that Mark and Myles wanted to go and Elvis trying to tie it all together and Roadrunner seem to accept it. Also, Roadrunner has Dream Theater on the roster. The one band that can sound totally different and unconventional from a radio band. So how come BSC could not get that creative control in their last few albums?
Everyone's contracts are different. Mascot are the perfect match for BSC now and are working their asses off for this release! All is going well

Lukeage
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lukeage »

Hmmm okay after hearing Soul Machine I'm starting to warm toward the idea of the album a bit more.

I'm actually going to have to purchase The Rambler track now, off iTunes, and see if I get into it more by listening to it.

I have to admit... I think it's just going to be harder to get into this album at first. I do really like Soul Machine. But for me, the perfect BSC album is Folklore and Superstition still.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Lukeage wrote:Hmmm okay after hearing Soul Machine I'm starting to warm toward the idea of the album a bit more.

I'm actually going to have to purchase The Rambler track now, off iTunes, and see if I get into it more by listening to it.

I have to admit... I think it's just going to be harder to get into this album at first. I do really like Soul Machine. But for me, the perfect BSC album is Folklore and Superstition still.
It's my favourite of their records and they had it in mind when writing and recording Kentucky.. I promise it's much more like it than anything they've done since!

Not long to go now until it's officially out!