The Official BLACK STONE CHERRY Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Re: The Official BLACK STONE CHERRY Thread

Post by One Drew Remains »

I need to finish listening to it. I heard the 1st 6 or so songs and got pulled away from my comp. The half dozen I heard were decent, but not memorable.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

13 songs, I love about 10 of them.. Which is good I think. It's no Folklore & Superstition, but they're super proud of it and they've got some big shows coming up to play the hell out of it on!

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I'm kind of disappointed of the new album. They sound more and more like a generic radio rockband. In contrary to Alter Bridge, BSC seem to be musically limited and non- creative. There is not one song on the album which is surprising me, all of those songs has the same standard rock structure. The band developed in the last few years from a unique Southern Bluesrock/ Metal mashup group, to an average Nickelback clone.

Lukeage
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lukeage »

Is it just me or do some artists just sound so fake when they talk about their new records?

BSC definitely do. They talk about how raw and genuine and how deeply invested they are in the record and yet I can't actually believe a word of it, especially not after "Between the Devil..." but as I might have already said in another post - that was a way better record than Magic Mountain is! I forgot there was even a title track on it...

Honestly I've listened to it a few times and every time I think BSC I keep going back to Folklore...

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Mr. Slash wrote:There is not one song on the album which is surprising me, all of those songs has the same standard rock structure.
Oh yeah, like some of the songs have to be a different structure in order for it to constitute as "good". :rolleyes . I mean sure doing that would push the envelope creatively, but they did not claim to do something like that unlike AB before the album was released.

I still like it pretty much. The title track, Remember Me, Runaway, Blow My Mind (getting high lyrics aside at times), and Hollywood In Kentucky (especially that last bit). Fine, I like the Nickelback-eque feel of some of the songs, what of it?

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

All Mr Slash said was that the songs didn't surprise him, because they follow the same structure. You're just making your own inferences, the tone of your post makes it sound like you've taken his criticisms as some kind of personal attack :lol

The album has kind of lost it's staying power for me, and I must say, while I don't dislike the album, every time I listen to it I feel like I've got to listen to Folklore & Superstition after.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

BSC wrote:All Mr Slash said was that the songs didn't surprise him, because they follow the same structure. You're just making your own inferences, the tone of your post makes it sound like you've taken his criticisms as some kind of personal attack :lol
All right, I apologize for my post. Also, ok you got me. Yes, I do take criticisms as some kind of personal attacks. I also apologize for that as well. I blame it on myself and the way life has been running for me.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I still think it's a good album Instrumentally. The lyrics kill it.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

So. Terribly. Boring.
:shrug
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------
Past shows: Alter Bridge 10.11 NL, Kensington 11.11 NL, Alter Bridge 16.11 PL
Future shows: Kensington 15.02 DE, Kensington 17.02 PL, Rival Sons 18.02 PL

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

An interesting quote from John Fred's interview with Rhythm magazine regarding the change in sound from the third album to the new one:

'On the third record, honestly and not trying to sugar-coat it, I was held back a lot from how I play. That was a lot to do with what the label were making us to be. They were making us out to be another American Active Rock Band. Those bands are great, but we're different to that'

It's an interesting one, because I'm sure many would agree that they sound more 'American Active Rock Band' than ever.

julio
Isolated

Post by julio »

It is interesting that Roadrunner was so hands off with this record. I suspect Roadrunner decided after seeing the returns from the 3rd album that it wasn't worth putting the money in again to get Howard Benson to produce. Let the band do their own thing and the album will perform just as well.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Good stuff.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Saw Black Stone Cherry last night during their arena tour. When the singles of the new album starting coming out, I think me and a few others were thinking that Magic Mountain would be the end of Black Stone Cherry, but last night just confirmed that they're here to stay for a long time!

Brilliant performance, I've seen them 5 times now and they get better each time. Really varied set list, although at times it got a bit soft. It would have been nice to have a couple more heavy songs from the early albums. From a personal perspective, it was really great to see certain songs sung by an arena crowd. A few years ago I saw them play In My Blood at a really small club (in the Students' Union in fact, the same place where I get horrendously drunk almost weekly) and not many people sang along, but last night there was a whole arena singing along.

They jammed out a few times, sometimes it worked, other times it didn't work as well, but it doesn't matter as you can tell they're simply having the time of their lives on this tour. They played a cracking version of Blame it on The Boom Boom.

My only criticism of the concert is the drummer, he was terrible last night. He really needs to work on keeping his sticks in his hands, his recovery has gotten extremely sloppy. He missed so many beats it was unbelievable, on Such A Shame (and another song which I can't remember) the drums completely dropped out twice because of his cock ups. He spends too long playing fills that weren't recorded on the album, and that he can't pull off. Maybe it's just because I'm a drummer myself, and I'm always following the drums so I notice the mistakes more, but there were so many major mistakes in his playing throughout the night. They've played a drum solo every time I've seen them, I understand they play an energetic show and that the guy's need a break, but it's really old now, his drum solos aren't very good (it's just mindless wankery on a drum kit, no groove) and the whole show is now a failed drum solo, we don't need a drum solo.

To conclude, the band are playing better than ever - apart from the drummer, who needs to get back to the practice room. But I'll definitely continue seeing them!

ESPImperium
Bought The CDs

Post by ESPImperium »

The Magic Mountain tracks stand up miles better live amongst the other older tracks. Its restored my faith in BSC as Magic Mountain is an album that may not stand up through the stereo or headphones to other stuff, but id liken it to Alter Bridge and III, though a media medium its a weaker album with some good tracks, but in a live scene the tracks stand up better than expected.

Wish Theory of a Deadman got one more song on Sunday when i saw them.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

BSC is going to release a Live DVD soon. Pretty neat if you ask me. BSC is one of the best live bands around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq-740L ... e=youtu.be

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

BSC announced "something" regarding their new album for tomorrow. Probably the first single off of the new album?

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

https://www.facebook.com/blackstonecher ... 231820069/
Here it is! "Way Of the Future", the first single of the upcoming album "Kentucky" that comes on April 1st. This sounds waaaaay better than the stuff of Magic Mountain and Beyond The Devil.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Not blown away, but I liked it. Cool intro riff.

Folklore and Superstition is still my favorite album of theirs. Haven't listened to that album in ages.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Funny, Timo. I just bought that one a couple of weeks ago. I agree. It's by far my favorite BSC record.
Altered: