MUSE

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: MUSE

Post by Timotheus »

I read the Muse forum yesterday evening when the song came out (wasn't at home), and from their response I was fearing the worst. Just heard it, and I don't really mind it. It's comparable with Madness in a way, but I think I like it more.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I really like what I heard from the bridge. The rest of the song is a tad so-so for me though.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Okay, I gave it a better listen, and I really like it. Matt's vocal performance is amazing and I love the lyrics. Wish they'd chosen a different chord progression at the end though, but I think the vocals make up for that.

It's interesting that they chose this song to be the opener. I think this is where someone leaves the love (or pop) behind, and becomes cold and hard and that's when the rock comes in.

Matt also mentioned in an interview on the radio that The Globalist is a "10 minute prog nightmare" and confirmed it's the Citizen Erased sequel.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Nicklord
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Nicklord »

Timotheus wrote:Okay, I gave it a better listen, and I really like it. Matt's vocal performance is amazing and I love the lyrics. Wish they'd chosen a different chord progression at the end though, but I think the vocals make up for that.

It's interesting that they chose this song to be the opener. I think this is where someone leaves the love (or pop) behind, and becomes cold and hard and that's when the rock comes in.

Matt also mentioned in an interview on the radio that The Globalist is a "10 minute prog nightmare" and confirmed it's the Citizen Erased sequel.
I saw some comment about how album opener is always a transition from previous album to a new one and it actually makes sense if you look at them. I don't know if they do that on purpose or it's just a coincidence,

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

To be honest, I don't think New Born particularly sounds like anything on Showbiz. Same thing with Supremacy and The Resistance. And they still could've put any song first on this album, because The 2nd Law was basically Muse's most random and incohesive album yet.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

New single:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/f5bjJzJ-T4c[/youtube]

I like it. It sounds like it could've been on Black Holes & Revelations.

The production is so weird though. They played a live version of this song a few days ago, and honestly I liked that version better. There are some really cool synths in this song, but you can barely hear them at moments because the guitars are waaay too loud and all those backing vocals in the chorus are a bit too much in my opinion. Cheesy lyrics again as well.

So yea, good song, but could easily have been better if it was produced differently.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Close to giving up to be honest.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I swear Muse are such a godamn frustrating band. They have a tendency to just produce bland as hell pop music (not particularly interesting pop music either). It's a such because they have the ability to be so innovative and compelling. Those last two songs are just so boring. Production sucks too.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Honestly, I thought Psycho was the most boring song of them all so far. It's absolutely amazing live though. Reapers is probably my favourite, but we haven't heard the studio version of that one yet, so let's hope they nailed that one in the studio.

A part of the Making Of leaked a while back, and Defector in particular sounded really cool to me. The Globalist sounded really nice as well and is supposed to be more than 10 minutes long.

Anyway, since the Black Holes & Revelations days Muse was never a band that you could judge on their singles. Wish they'd still release singles like Bliss and Plug In Baby though.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I gave all three another couple of listens last night in case I'd been too harsh, but I really was just left cold by all of them, Psycho had a nice riff and everything but wasn't anything special otherwise, the other two are the aspect of Muse that's developed since The Resistance that I just cannot enjoy. I'm sure there'll be a handful of songs on the album that I like, as there were on the last couple, but I was really hoping they'd gone back a decade and made an entire album I could appreciate from beginning to end (and actually buy rather than just have a look at on Spotify once a year). Still hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but barely.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

They'll never write records like Origin of Symmetry or Absolution again. I accepted that a long time ago. They've been flirting with that poppy aspect since Absolution and since Black Holes is became a big part of their sound and honestly, I don't mind it, as much as I prefer their older sound.

They only thing that's really bugged me in all these new songs are the lyrics.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/HyB6DV21WG8[/youtube]

First pro-shot of Reapers. Sounds pretty fantastic :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Reapers was released Friday and The Handler was released a few hours ago. Both are pretty fantastic.

Totally hyping over The Handler at the moment. It's everything I thought Muse wouldn't do anymore :cloud9
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It leaked. I absolutely have no idea what to think about it. The lyrics are absolutely horrible, which is something that's never bothered me before with Muse. Matt never was a brilliant writer, but I literally laughed out loud on a few occasions, and not in a good way.

Musically, I think it peaks in the middle of the album. The Handler and Reapers are both incredible. Aftermath is nice and the Globalist has some good parts as well, but it could've been so much better. It's not the "proggy" song they promoted it to be, which sucks, because it could've been if they had done things differently.

We'll see how it grows on me.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

You don't sound convinced at all Timo! Is there a streamy McStreamster anywhere? Muse are usually good for them on new releases. Haven't been blown away by the ones I've heard previously to say the least but am sure there will be a few on there I like a lot.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I've just finished my first (and probably - the last) spin and it's incredible how this album sounds like a collection of pop songs interrupted by JFK speeches here and there. Never been a fan of the band, but I expected something a bit different from a band labeled as 'new prog'. Psycho and Mercy are kinda cool, even if not so innovative. Reapers sounds like a AC/DC/RATM/Van Halen/Extreme rip-off and the rest is just pretty mediocre. I'm getting a huge Pink Floyd vibe from The Globalist as well and it appears to be my favourite from the record so far.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It leaked earlier this evening, so I expect there to be a stream pretty soon.

And I'm really curious about your opinion. It's such a weird album, lol.

@ Dolo, weren't you at least impressed with The Handler? I thought that was the only song on the album that came close to the quality of the older records.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

They seem to be releasing every song as a lyric video up until the release date rather than an actual stream :lol I want to hear it all as one though, I'll wait until tomorrow to see if they put one up, after which I may have to resort to other means. See, this is what happens when you don't put up a stream.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, it's supposed to be a concept album as well. Doesn't make sense.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

alert23
Bought The CDs

Post by alert23 »

The album leaked yesterday. Cheese everywhere