MUSE

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: weird comment of the page

Post by Timotheus »

It truly is a cheese nightmare, and that's coming from somebody who loves to fantasize about bathing in lasagna.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: MUSE

Post by Dolo »

Timotheus wrote: @ Dolo, weren't you at least impressed with The Handler? I thought that was the only song on the album that came close to the quality of the older records.
Sorry man, I didn't notice you've edited your post. It does have a nice groove and the part that starts around 2:30 is also kinda cool, but nothing to be really crazy about. In overall, Muse have a very specific manner of songwriting and Bellamy's voice puts a lot people off. I don't know if you've seen this:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/DHwDdbGxdEw[/youtube]

It appeared last year and was supposed to be on the record. Ironically, this is one of the best riffs they ever wrote and it apparently has been rejected.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I believe that turned out to be the solo in Defector. To be honest, I was never impressed with that though. I prefer the version on the album.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Well, I've now listened... Yeah. Middle three tracks definitely the strongest. Globalist was a let down and Drones (the song) is Matt disappearing squarely up his own arsehole but I can get some mileage out of the middle three I hope. In terms of concept albumness, it seems to have taken the idea of Mindcrime and taken a dump on it. I might try and give it another full listen at some point but entirely unmotivated to do so at the moment.
For all of the hope that it brings...

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

Maybe because I don't expect more from Muse... extremely derivative, but delivered with amazing earnestness. I REALLY dig this album! I LOVE all the Queen, Billy Squire, Extreme, Van Halen, RATM, Depeche Mode.... ALL of it. Reapers is like a medley of great songs! And as far as the massive popularity of these vids... good for them! It shows that people are still interested in BIG rock! Love it!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I actually thought the title track was quite interesting. It's dark, until he sings "are you dead inside?" which somehow makes me cringe.

My problem with this album are not the instrumentals, which are pretty decent overal. Chris (the bassist) has done a spectacular job in almost every song. It's also very guitar-heavy, which is nice after the last 2 albums, and Matt's vocals and delivery are spectacular as well.

But the lyrics.. I can't get over the lyrics. They're so incredibly silly and literal. It's like they wrote all the music first, came up with the concept after reading an article about Drones online and then spend a few hours on the lyrics. Matt's a clever guy, I'm sure he's done his research, but none of that is hearable in these songs. I think the album would've been a lot better if they'd cut the army theme and just had written a bunch of heartfelt lyrics. They still could've called the album Drones and have songs like Reapers feature that theme.

Combine that with some questioning songwriting throughout the entire album. -Psycho is way too long and too repetive. -Defector is too repetive as well. -The Globalist's ending is a wasted opportunity. Also, how is this supposed to be a Citizen Erased sequal? -Dead Inside is good song, but not a good opener, they only put that song there because of the story. -Aftermath is okay until the ending, where they turn it into a big cheese-fest. -The existence of Revolt.

So for me this is easily the worst Muse album so far. It's hard to believe that this is the same band that once wrote songs like Citizen Erased, Dark Shines and Megalomania. If you like the instrumentals on this album but are not really aware of Muse's older work, I strongly suggest you check out Origin Of Symmetry or Absolution which are both better albums in pretty much every way.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Agreed about the Globalist's relation to Citizen Erased, I went and listened to it straight after to make sure I hadn't been mishearing something, but I really couldn't sense any kind of connection other than that it was long. Maybe it's in the lyrics which I didn't really notice as I was quite tired of the album at that point, but I doubt it as you would've noticed. Maybe I should give Drones another listen, I just didn't think it had any place on a Muse album other than demonstrating he's a culture vulture and that he can write it. But I'm quite cynical like that :lol

I dunno where exactly to rank it at the moment as the overriding feeling is still of disappointment, but it's definitely in the class of the last couple, which themselves were a big drop on those previous.
For all of the hope that it brings...

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

BUK wrote:Maybe because I don't expect more from Muse... extremely derivative, but delivered with amazing earnestness. I REALLY dig this album! I LOVE all the Queen, Billy Squire, Extreme, Van Halen, RATM, Depeche Mode.... ALL of it. Reapers is like a medley of great songs! And as far as the massive popularity of these vids... good for them! It shows that people are still interested in BIG rock! Love it!
Seconded. With all the disappointed reactions around here, I was pretty surprised at how much I'm digging the album. Worlds better than THE 2ND LAW, even if it's not up there with the best of their catalogue.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I think the 2nd Law was inconsistent but had some real moments of brilliance. It seems like with each album the bland ideas are overtaking the real crazy interesting stuff. I haven't listened to this album yet but all the singles haven't really stoked much of a fire.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

My main problem with The 2nd Law was that it was all over the place. It wasn't a cohessive album. Besides that I thought most songs were pretty good. The 2 Chris songs were a bit boring and Big Freeze was ruined by those awkward backing vocals, but for the rest I really enjoyed it. The production could've used a bit more punch but sonically, I didn't really have a problem with it. The new album has too many quirks that bug me.

I hope they don't work with Mutt Lange again. The production was better on the last albums and a lot of stuff they say about him in interviews are stuff I don't like about the album (he asked Matt to simplify the lyrics, Psycho was originally a lot shorter, stuff like that...)

The cool thing about the new album though, is that all the new songs sound pretty amazing live so far. Psycho is their best received live song so far (ever), and both Reapers and Mercy sound really good as well.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

CreedFeed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CreedFeed »

I like the new Muse album. The lyrics are kind of weak/cheesy/whatever... but still dig the album as a whole. Not the best, but still a great listen.
-Steve
CreedFeed - Feeding Your Need For Creed!
QuakeOne - Quake 1 Resurrection!

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

The only song that I get stuck in my head from the album is the bridge of Dead Inside.

I've liked everything prior to this, but Drones is just terrible

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I can't get Revolt out of my head. I have to admit the album is growing on me, even though it's still my least favourite album of theirs.

They also headlined Download last night and did an amazing job. The setlist was incredible:

Drill Sergeant + Psycho
Handler (debut)
Newborn
Interlude + Hysteria
Microcuts
Dead Star
Agitated
Citizen Erased
Munich Jam/Breakdown
Dead Inside
Super Massive Black Holes
Mercy
Time Is Running Out
Reapers
Stockholm Syndrome
---
JFK + Uprising
Plug in Baby
Man With A Harmonica + Knights of Cydonia

A big fuck you to all the idiot metalhead who were saying they weren't heavy enough to headline Download. That run from New Born - Citizen Erased is absolutely insane. I've only seen praise on the internet afterwards (also from non-Muse fans), with people on the forum of Download saying that it was the best headlining show on Download ever. The videos sound incredible as well:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/KjGAPwXmxog[/youtube]

Muse still is untouchable when it comes to their live shows.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

I agree about the live shows. That's why despite my dislike of the new album, I'm still going to go see them when they come around

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Man, I was going into this album thinking I'm not going to like it based on what I've read from these comments, especially from Timo since I value his opinions a lot, but honestly, I like it a good amount, which is surprising since after listening to Cauterize, I thought I was bound to hate what I'm going to listen to next.

Enjoyed Dead Inside, Mercy, Reapers, Revolt, and Aftermath. The title track was pretty weird to listen to. Like some sort of ominous choir singing or something.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Gave this album another listen today. I thought maybe I'd been a bit too harsh on it because of high hopes and expectations, but nope... Still cannot get into the lyrics.
anguyen92 wrote:especially from Timo since I value his opinions a lot
Then I read this and instantly felt better again.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I heard Stockholm Syndrome on the radio today and was reminded of how these guys used to be really good.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

They still are.. Their live shows are untouchable (even these new songs are sounding really good live) and they're still very capable writers. They just make these weird and frustrating decisions sometimes. I mean, purposely dumbing down lyrics.. Great idea Matt!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Well, it reminds me of how good their songwriting choices used to be. :lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »