FOO FIGHTERS!

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: FOO FIGHTERS!

Post by Timotheus »

I liked it, but then the bridge came in.. Wow!

It's hard not to listen to these songs too many times..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

They're all 3 good songs, but Something From Nothing stands above the other 2 pretty easily for me.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Next week Austin!

Post by zazthespaz »

Another awesome Sonic Highways episode. Very cool stories about some artists I didn't know about which gained a bunch of respect for them from me.

They ripped the country music industry a new one about how they operate in such a production line manner now and the song writer is separated from the singer. They told a good story about how Zac Brown's first single, Chicken Fried, was recorded and put on air by another artist who had a better and more "party-like" image when the label said it wouldn't be. Zac filed a lawsuit at the risk of being black listed in Nashville but turned it around to work for him. Really good episode.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I've got no idea which song I like the best so far.. I really like Something From Nothing, but I'm not a huge fan of the riff. Not because it sounds a lot like Holy Diver, but I think it's just kinda boring. I really love what they did with the song though. I really like both The Feast And The Famine and Congregation too. It's going to be a good record.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: They're an unstoppable musical juggernaut.

Post by zazthespaz »

I think congregation is going to be my favorite off the album. Such an uplifting chorus and dynamic guitar parts. Still looking forward to the rest though.

Can you imagine what the next album will sound like? They took lessons learned from each city and incorporated them into one song for each for this album. Just think of what they'll sound like when they start mixing and matching those lessons.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: They're an unstoppable musical juggernaut.

Post by anguyen92 »

zazthespaz wrote:I think congregation is going to be my favorite off the album. Such an uplifting chorus and dynamic guitar parts. Still looking forward to the rest though.

Can you imagine what the next album will sound like? They took lessons learned from each city and incorporated them into one song for each for this album. Just think of what they'll sound like when they start mixing and matching those lessons.
Dave has already made his statements regarding that. How in the world do these musical ideas keep popping in their heads, one might ask.
"Wait until you see what we're doing for the next record.

"That's some f--ked up shit. I already know what we're doing for that, and it makes this look like f--king kindergarten."

"I feel more inspired now than ever before in my whole life. I have all of these great opportunities, it's hard to say no to things; when an exciting new artist asks me to play drums on their record, I can't say no because [it's] a great opportunity."
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/gen ... arten.html

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Alter Bridge need to step up their game.

Post by zazthespaz »

See?! Dammit though now I'm more excited for that one than this!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I think Congregation sounds like a typical middle of the row song that could come off of Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace. Something From Nothing sounded like a band trying to push themselves. Not saying the other songs are bad, I just think the first single built my hype too much lol.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I think Congregation sounds like a band pushing themselves as well.. Just in more of a pop format.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I just don't see that song being a big thing for them. It's kind of like Long Road To Ruin...decent song, but over time it won't really get remembered like the big hitters of the album. Something From Nothing will be as memorable as The Pretender.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I love singing Long Road to Ruin. I find it so much easier to sing that than the Pretender. Wheels is still the greatest song from them for me to sing, because the lyrics are so damn connecting to me.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Isn't Long Road To Ruin one of their (many) bigger songs?

How is Something From Nothing doing on the radio? To be honest I can't see it do as good as songs like The Pretender and Everlong. Mostly because of the structure of the song.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Something From Nothing is number 1 on the active rock charts right now.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Yep. I heard it on the Dallas/Fort Worth radio station. There wasn't much cutting down on it. It felt pretty long when listening it on the radio. I didn't think that song would work as a radio single, but the results say different.

It seems like it just got released to the public only 2.5 weeks ago.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Song structure isn't as big of a deal as people think it is on the radio. That's why songs like Stairway and One still get played after all these years. Nowadays bands have a hard time pushing their longer songs as singles because they're usually only long and they don't ever grab the listener's attention. The first time I heard Something From Nothing, I knew it was gonna explode at the end, and it does.

Plus it doesn't hurt that this Foo Fighters release has been hyped for ages. It's not like a brand new band starting out released a 5 minute song to radio.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Those songs still get played because they are classics. It's not only the length of the song I'm talking about though. Something From Nothing also doesn't really have a chorus.

I'd love to be proven wrong of course.. I love that the song is doing well, but I think that's mostly because of the name of the band.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I would rank it behind songs like The Pretender, Everlong, Best Of You, etc, but I think it's better than most of the songs on Wasting Light. Might rank Walk ahead of it, but I think it's a really good song.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

The songs haven't disappointed me yet. I really like all of them but Congregation really spoke to me lyrically more than musically.

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

SFN is being spun like hell on a couple of radio stations in Russia. Dunno bout the charts yet though
I saw lation
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013
Helsingin Jäähalli, Helsinki, 14 November 2019

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

You can't go wrong with another new song!!!! This one is recorded in Austin. Sounds like something from There is Nothing Left to Lose.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/II2qM619h94[/youtube]