FOO FIGHTERS!

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: FOO FIGHTERS!

Post by zazthespaz »

Two in one day! Haven't heard kev's yet. Not a big fan of this one though.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/4n7DziNjlzQ[/youtube]
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Arghhhhhhh. The two songs were really good. The only problem I have was the ending effects they used. I hate sudden endings and fading out endings, it just leaves me wanting more.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

God As My Witness is interesting.. The second part/outro especially is really good. Gary Clark Jr. is such a badass guitar player. I think it's the least FF-sounding song I've heard on this album yet.

Outside sounds great to me as well. The bridge is one of the coolest moments on this album so far.. I loved it since the first time I heard it when they played it live during that The Pretender performance. The quality of the video sucks though.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Rolling Stone gave the record a 3 and a half stars. Mostly because it wasn't experimental enough and there wasn't enough content (low song count).

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Haven't listened to these new ones. Gonna wait to listen to the whole album at once. Already heard 3 songs...don't really wanna hear 5/8 before the album comes out lol.

If anyone has Sirius XM, the Lithium channel has switched over to an all Foo Fighters station until November 16.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Looks like the full album can be streamed on iTunes now.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Gave the album a listen last night. To be honest, I wasn't blown away by it. It seems like an album that might be a grower, so I'll give it my fair share of listens before really trying to review it.

I think I'm missing something with it by not being able to see the TV series (don't have a package with HBO). I've read a lot of people saying the album is enhanced if you watch the TV show. This may be true, but that also makes me question if the album is good enough to stand on its own or if it's just a supplemental addition to a TV series. I also feel that some of Grohl's lyrics contain too many direct references to things I have no idea about because I don't hear the meaning behind them on the TV series.

That's not to say I think the album is bad, but it's definitely not the best thing they've ever done. I'll listen to it some more and see if it starts to grow on me more.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I'm listening to it now. To me, this is the problem I have when I listened to 5 out of the 8 songs before it was released in full. The songs are great, but the overall album experience is probably not what I'm looking for probably due to listening to all of the other songs in full.

I do like Subterranean and "In the Clear" (especially with that brass section). Also, it's my preference, but I just do not like really the sudden endings or fade out endings. It makes me wanting more which is going to be hard given that this is only 8 songs and like 40+ min. of material.

Also, I wished there was more high energy stuff towards the end. All the high energy stuff was at the beginning of the album. I mean Walk is a fantastic album ender leaving it on a good upbeat note. I Am The River is fantastic though, but a tad subdue for an album closer.

Still, this is good enough for a top five album of the year for me. At least, par with World on Fire. Maybe, even higher once those episodes will eventually go to DVD, or other outlets, for me to watch and get all of that context.

Fave Five Tracks so far: Something From Nothing, Congregation, I Am The River, Outside, Subterranean.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I felt the second half was too subdued as well. This album would have made more sense if it was a Dave Grohl solo project featuring the musicians from each city. Doesn't completely feel like a Foo Fighters album to me.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Hard to say, honestly. I mean that Sound City soundtrack that Dave was doing, last year, while it had a lot of other musicians, pretty much, everyone from Foo Fighters (with the exception of Chris Shiflett who had other projects) was in a few songs, including their touring keyboard guy.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

So just to clarify on the locations of the songs recorded.

"Something from Nothing" (Chicago)
"The Feast and the Famine" (Washington D.C.)
"Congregation" (Nashville)
"What Did I Do? / God As My Witness" (Austin)
"Outside" (?)
"In the Clear" (New Orleans)
"Subterranean" (Seattle)
"I Am a River" (?)

Which one is the song recorded in New York and which one for LA?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Andy92 wrote:I think I'm missing something with it by not being able to see the TV series (don't have a package with HBO). I've read a lot of people saying the album is enhanced if you watch the TV show. This may be true, but that also makes me question if the album is good enough to stand on its own or if it's just a supplemental addition to a TV series. I also feel that some of Grohl's lyrics contain too many direct references to things I have no idea about because I don't hear the meaning behind them on the TV series.
I do think the series add something.. The "Do you have blind faith, no false hope" part in Congregation really hit me after seeing the episode that was linked with that song. I really liked the song before I saw the episode though. It just gave it more emotional debt.

Listening to the new album right now. Waiting impatiently to get to the new song :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

anguyen92 wrote:So just to clarify on the locations of the songs recorded.

"Something from Nothing" (Chicago)
"The Feast and the Famine" (Washington D.C.)
"Congregation" (Nashville)
"What Did I Do? / God As My Witness" (Austin)
"Outside" (?)
"In the Clear" (New Orleans)
"Subterranean" (Seattle)
"I Am a River" (?)

Which one is the song recorded in New York and which one for LA?
Outside is LA and I Am a River is NY.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Overall, I think it's really good.. There wasn't a moment on it I didn't enjoy. I don't think there's any filler. There are some impressive highs, but none of the highs are as impressive as the highs on their older albums (though after my first listen that's maybe a bit too early to tell).

Edit: Listening to the new songs for the 2nd time.. The brass section in In The Clear is spectacular.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I'm really loving the album. I don't really get the reviews that say it's not creative enough and that it's the same old. I'm not saying it's a revolutionary album, but I think there's a lot of progress, musically. Great songwriting is more important than great musicality though (especially with a band like Foo Fighters) and I do miss "that one song" that elevates the album to the next level, but overal I still think the songwriting is really solid.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I don't think it's the best album they've ever done like it was hyped up to be though.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, neither do I, but I barely cave in to hype like that anymore.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Gonna kidnap him

Post by zazthespaz »

Stopped by Southern Ground today where they recorded Congregation and swung by the Bluebird Cafe. Stalking Dave Grohl.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I won't say I really caved into the hype, I just think Dave might've gotten a little full of himself after the mass success of Wasting Light (which is a much better album than this one imo). I listened to the album again last night, and it just doesn't really sound like the Foo Fighters. In their attempt to capture the history behind each city, they seemed to have lost a bit of the band's identity. It feels a lot more like that Sound City record than a Foo Fighters album.

I had really high hopes after hearing Something From Nothing. That song was well done because it took a concept from the city (the great fire of Chicago in the 1800s) and used it as a metaphor to mold the lyrics of the song. The lyrics to I Am A River are also good as they take a concept about NYC and really paint a picture. But I feel there are a lot of times where phrases are really forced just for the sake of getting exact wording from the interviews into the songs. Writing all the lyrics in one day for each song makes some of the phrasing feel forced to me. Dave's best songs lyrically over the years have always been very simple concepts with a lot of emotion behind them (Best of You, Everlong, etc). I mean, how in the world do I know what "singing like a bluebird in the round" means if I don't watch the show? :lol

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Andy92 wrote:I mean, how in the world do I know what "singing like a bluebird in the round" means if I don't watch the show? :lol
That's music history in general. I agree some of the lyrics are all over the place and I absolutely agree with your "simple concept" comment about older songs, but the special thing about this album is that it comes with a documentary. They wrote it that way. I don't think it's fair to only participate in half of a project and then complain that you don't understand things that are mentioned in the second part. It's a different take on music and songwriting in general, which is refreshing. I don't think the songs don't stand on their own btw, because I'm really enjoying the second part of the album, but I know I'm gonna enjoy those songs even more after seeing the episodes.

I love how the critiques vary from "they've lost their identity" to "the same old, they didn't experiment enough".
zazthespaz wrote:Stopped by Southern Ground today where they recorded Congregation and swung by the Bluebird Cafe. Stalking Dave Grohl.
That's awesome! I really enjoyed that episode.. Were there live shows in the cafe?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.