John Wesley (Porcupine Tree) - Free Music

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

John Wesley (Porcupine Tree) - Free Music

Post by BSC »

I've been meaning to make a thread about John Wesley for a while ago, because many of you are fans of Porcupine Tree and there's free music available.

His style is really varied, some of it is quite singer/songwriter, whereas his new stuff is sounding a bit more progressive. Most of his studio work can be downloaded for free on website (http://www.john-wesley.com/free/), and his live stuff can be listened to through his website (the album Oxford is brilliant)

This is his new song

[youtube]http://youtu.be/6XKB4TKYqoE[/youtube]

A few favourites of mine

[youtube]http://youtu.be/JUHhcuYP-xU[/youtube]
[youtube]http://youtu.be/83wrGgMfk-w[/youtube]
[youtube]http://youtu.be/Fr5UR9VYp_A[/youtube]

I would download Shiver first, you're a fool if you don't!

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Re: John Wesley (Porcupine Tree) - Free Music

Post by JaredWard »

I don't know how I missed his stuff. Loving "Star" at the moment! Thanks for the heads up.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Thanks for your post, I was beginning to lose faith in this forum :lol!

John also does a really great acoustic version of Star on the Oxford album which can be listened to on his website. If you haven't done so already, download Shiver as the rest of the album is along the same lines as Star. I'm really looking forward to Disconnect, it's gonna be a great album. He also played a show the other day where he covered Porcupine Tree's Blackest Eyes, I'm not sure whether a video will appear, but it'll be interesting to hear.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Effin' sweet stuff!

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

If you don't like this you aren't human.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/pMkJrY8nsk0[/youtube]

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Not sure how I missed this. I liked that song a lot.. I think I like his voice better than Steven's voice.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I liked Disconnect more than this one. I think I will pick this album up, though.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

His new album Disconnect has arrived today, and I've listened to it once, part way through my second listen.

John Wesley is extremely talented, it amazes me how someone so talented can be so underneath the radar. John has said it himself that this album is influenced by his work with Steven Wilson, and it's very much true. It reminds me why I got into Porcupine Tree, they're a band that aren't afraid to be progressive, but do so within confinements, and Disconnect is very much the same.

I think this album needs to grow on for a while, which has come as a surprise considering I loved the title track Disconnect and Mary Will straight away from first listen. This album is full of guitar riffs and solos, but never once do you feel John is just shredding for the sake of it, even during Any Old Saints' four minute solo. This album is so varied, it's got your more prog orientated songs, your hard-rocking songs, your pop songs, your ballads and your acoustic singer/songwriter songs, which is impressive considering it's only ten songs long!

John has a great voice, and a great sense of vocal melody; but it's not just the vocal melodies that get stuck in your head. John can make his guitar sing. I don't listen to guitar solos, whenever a guitar solo comes on, my mind goes elsewhere, I focus on the drums or whatever instrumentation is going on, but this is one of those very few albums where I actually want to pay attention to the guitar solos. Even the guitar melodies get stuck in your head, if you've listened to the song Disconnect you'll probably know what I'm talking about.

My only criticism is that sometimes the drums come in at times that just feel unnatural, often playing rhythms that don't really link with the rest of the band.

The album is available on Spotify for those that want to listen to it, and I strongly urge you do. If this was a Porcupine Tree album, I'm pretty sure everyone would be ranting and raving about it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I've just had my first go through this album and liked it very much. I haven't been really familliar with Wesley's work apart from PT, but I'm really impressed with this record. Great guitar work and sense of melody, it is produced very well, it's not one of these overproduced, plastic records that come out these days. I'm gonna come back to this album for sure.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

A new solo album called "A Way You'll Never Be" was released last Friday, together with The Last Hero. It's sounding pretty amazing so far.

anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Yep, it's pretty good, listened to it earlier today. In comparison to Disconnect, he seems to have gone with less solos and guitar-centric stuff and focused on songwriting much more. If only AB could do that.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I was literally just about to bump this thread, so I'm glad that other people are keeping an eye out for his music. I'm only on the second song of my first listen so far but I agree with you Dolo, I wish more bands would focus on songwriting. I'm currently listening to it on the vinyl and it sounds absolutely incredible production-wise, unlike other recently released albums...