Rush

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Rush

Post by Nick »

Anyone listening to the new album? I still have to unravel a lot of the intricacies, especially the ones relating to the concept and story, but it's been damn good so far. Favorite tracks on Clockwork Angels so far are probably The Anarchist, BU2B2, and The Wreckers. I haven't heard a track I dislike though!
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

BUK
White Knuckled

Re: Rush

Post by BUK »

It's fantastic. Best on a loooong while!

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I've been listening to Clockwork Angels almost every day in the car. I think the only weak spot in the entire album is the second to last song, Wish You Well. It fits well in the story line but the mood of the song kind of disrupts the flow and it's kinda weak on its own. That being said, the entire album is fantastic. The first 5 songs are incredible, especially The Anarchist. That's probably my favorite so far.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

:facepalm not got it yet :facepalm

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Fletchy, ya gotta get on it!

Honestly, this album is incredible. Besides a bit of a hiccup in Seven Cities of Gold and the disappointing Wish You Well, it could be damn near perfect. Rush isn't doing anything particularly innovative or life changing here but they've found their modern sound and have nailed its presentation. The only thing that worries me is that this might be TOO good of an album, as in, it might be the album they end their careers with. The concept of this character facing difficulties, learning from them, and sharing wisdom by the end is certainly reflective of Rush's career. The Garden would be a pretty amazing song to go out on too.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

This pains me to say... I am a HUGE rush fan. I have been for at least 10 years now and..... I really don't this album is very good.

It's competent alright. No doubt about that. I can't even explain why it doesn't grab but I just can't get myself to like. That's a big shame.

AlterBlade
White Knuckled

Post by AlterBlade »

Nick wrote:I've been listening to Clockwork Angels almost every day in the car. I think the only weak spot in the entire album is the second to last song, Wish You Well. It fits well in the story line but the mood of the song kind of disrupts the flow and it's kinda weak on its own. That being said, the entire album is fantastic. The first 5 songs are incredible, especially The Anarchist. That's probably my favorite so far.
Wish Them Well has one of the heaviest solos, I just can't help but get in to it.

Clockwork Angels and The Anarchist are the two greatest songs RUSH have made so far though. That solo that leads in to the acoustic part in CA is just, fantastic. I didn't think they'd make something like this again, although they still kind of stuck to the whole Verse-Chorus format, where I was hoping for more unusual structures. Oh well, still fucking amazing.
I still live.... #2024
Vote: AlterBlade

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Yeah, I thought it was going to be a touch more progressive but it's still very good.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

A little late to the party, but I listened to Clockwork Angels in full for the first time last night. Really, really good album. I guess I can see your point on Wish Them Well though, Nick. It's a really good song in its own right, but it doesn't sound like it flows with the rest of the album too well. I still like it though. The Garden is an amazing closer. Honestly, if they decide for Clockwork Angels to be their last album...it'd be one of the best ways for a band with 20 studio albums to go out on.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

As long as I get a Grace Under Pressure 30th Anniversary tour I'm happy

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Oh god, I'd kill for that tour.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

A bit of a breath of fresh air to hear you say that. Their 80s output is massively underrated. They didn't actually make a bad album until Hold Your Fire.

Still can't get into the new one. Not sure what people are seeing in it. I find Geddy's voice totally gone and the heaviness is a little forced. I much preferred Snakes & Arrows.

Hell though what do I know? I can't help but love Vapour Trails. Everyone hates that one.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I don't know, I actually liked Geddy's voice a lot in this album.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Grace Under Pressure is their most underrated album. Even compared to Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves (also fantastic), it was the album that best integrated the synths. It's one of their heaviest and most melancholy outputs. Grace Under Pressure is the album I refer to when someone claims Rush could only make intellectual music without emotion.

I enjoy Vapor Trails too but only in its tragic context. It's a fascinating album to listen to knowing the history behind it. It makes it an incredibly emotional experience.

AlterBlade
White Knuckled

Post by AlterBlade »

I still think Snakes and Arrows, minus the repetitive parts in some songs as well as major overdubbing of tracks, was one of their best albums ever. Clockwork Angels tried to break away from that, but I like Geddy's voice a lot in this.
I still live.... #2024
Vote: AlterBlade

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

:D :peace
[youtube]http://youtu.be/zjRy8hd5Kd8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/-EYGAMESq7Q[/youtube]

I fooking adore Red Sector A :hug

[youtube]http://youtu.be/4H70tG2lFlw[/youtube]

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I even LOVE The Body Electric. Kick arse bass lines all over the show there. Not forgetting Kid Gloves as well, a great 5/4 tune.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I hated Kid Gloves when I first heard it but I've grown to love it. It's one of my go-to happy tunes now.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Ok, I stumbled upon watching the Time Machine show in Cleavland on Palladia. Great stuff, good music, with some awesome custom backgrounds. Now I'm starting get myself hooked with the band, so where should I start? Moving Pictures? Clockwork Angels? 2112?

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

If you like the heavy stuff then I'd go straight to A Farewell To Kings. Moving Pictures is a more mature effort but also a stone cold classic. Might be best to go from 2112 and continue forwards in chronological order. They change a lot throughout the years but they are more often than not nail it, whatever the year.